The Rising Euro

waterhouse

As a frequent European traveller the rising exchange rate has been very noticeable. Euros that cost 63 p not long ago are over 71p now.

As the aforementioned traveller I also have the chance to buy a GS at a thumping 9% discount off German prices. Which, after adjusting for the different VAT rates, will save me nearly £200 before the costs of getting it home. It was well over £1200 (the fool didn't take it)

Which suggests that a bloody great price rise is on the cards for UK purchasers

Some friends, two lots actually, are leaving this vale of tears for pastures new in France. They have between 80 and 120k respectively to buy somewhere. 6 months ago we bought an old shack for £20k, skint now obviously, the point being that if we'd bought now instead of when we did, it would have cost us £2400 more on £20k, which puts it up past the £10k mark for £80 to £120k!!! If you're right it puts my new bike purchase on hold that little bit longer, bugger.

Looks like a couple a cheap weekends in Blighty is on the cards for me this summer.....the stronger the Euro gets, the cheaper it becomes for me to visit the UK. Great stuff :D :D :D

Yep, I'm with joining the Euro.

When is this Adv of yours arriving Luke?

I thionk you'll find that the euro hasn't risen in true terms at all, the pound has dropped against it from 1.61 in December to roughly 1.39 today.

Despite the Govt telling us how good the UK economy is, the pound is simply to over valued for us to join the Euro. So the Govt doesn't defend the currency and we sink lower and lower until the European Central Bank is happy.

So, it costs us a lot more for our holidays.... do you think Blair gives a shit?

After all, he is after a place in history and free holidays in Tuscany....

The truth is if the pound is overvalued it should be REvalued. UK trades mostly with the EU (not with the US for example). Medium long term, Britains interest should be best served by reinforcing that trading link. Whilst the exchange rate doesn´t help holidays short term it helps everyone longer term. In short you cant the full benefit of a single market when you are not part of the single currency. Tony Blair is an arse but not because he is in favour of the Euro.

Dave I dont understand mate - just tell your wife you saved 2400 pounds on the house and you best put that against the beemer quick sharp otherwise it´ll wont be such a bargain!
bob

Invicta Moto said:
I thionk you'll find that the euro hasn't risen in true terms at all, the pound has dropped against it from 1.61 in December to roughly 1.39 today.

When you have free floating currencies it's hard to spot which is the fixed one. It ain't the dollar, anyway.

Be that as it may when you're on the deck of a foundering ship it matters not whether you're going down or the sea is coming up: the result will be the same.

Of course the Euro has not risen, only if you compare against non significant currencies...

against the GBP and USD it has dramatically changed over the last year and is forecast to continue.

Begining of last year 1EURO was 0.86USD, by November it was 0.997USD now it is 1.14USD and rising.... and agreed the pound has also dropped against the USD making the differential to the Euro even more significant...

and the point is signficant that Euro based companies will put up their UK prices (Touratech already have) and for those who are in Euroland the the UK might become worth an interesting visit... tho I would never say it is cheap although cheaper than Dublin....

Adv vs GS1150

Ok , guys , tell me why the Adventure is such a big issue , apart from the fact it looks really well , is their any disernable difference - apart from when you whack your pannier off the car as you filter through that (too) small a gap , you now dont just bounce off it , as you do with the plastic gear , that great big ally job take s lumps of paint of the car - and leaves a tell tale strip of paint on the ally box - not that has ever happened to me you know- its just that it might .
Yes , the brochure shows it all , immaculately clad , Adventurer on an Adventurer in the higher Gobi with the sun setting over the oasis - apart from the fact that I think his gear has been ironed , ten minutes before hand - and that I generally look a little dusty after a 1 hour spin - are we being "codded " or what ( codded , Irish euphanism for fooled ) .
Does anyone with an Adventurer ever actually adventure , or is this bike in danger of becoming the equivalent of the Sloane Rangers Range Rover.
I do like the idea of a better geared top mind you, and if the shaggin bike gets any taller , we ll need a bloody step ladder to get on it.
More weight , it ll soon catch up with the Gold Wing -
apart from the obvious tongue in cheek , I am seriously wanting a reason - I looked at trading my bike ( a 2001 GS ) - but could nt understand why , and for 17 k Euro - in Ireland ouch ...Paddy will have to put one stake less on the BBQ - I could not see the difference , or justify it .:beer:

Euro vs UK £

Look , all you chaps on the mainland - you will have to ditch this UK £ business , it cofuses the crap out of everybody - specially the Guys actually on the mainland.
Roll over boys , it aint so bad , at least you can then tell at a glance just how much we are being ripped of for.

So , it was nt your idea - but it s really cool , its not a case of IF anymore , its WHEN .............

harto

Back
Top Bottom