Morgan Carbtune out of sync

mrTickle

Reaction score
I've just tried my first balancing act using the Morgan Carbtune II

http://www.carbtune.com/index.html

When I balanced the throttle bodies perfectly, to double check, I switched the bike off, swapped the Carbtune hoses over and then took another reading. The reading was different and not balanced ( i.e bodies perfectly balanced at 24/24, then swap hoses around & I get a reading of 24/22). If I put the hoses back on as they were, I got 24/24 perfect balance again.

If I then balance the 24/22 reading to balance at 24/24, as soon as I swap the hoses around, the balance is out again. Surely it shouldn't matter which way around the hoses are connected as they are both independant vacuum tubes? I should be getting a reading exactly the same regardless of what hose is connected wherever. Any ideas?

Can I balance the bodies one at a time by connecting only 1 vacuum tube? Would that work?

Does the bike vibrate or surge ?

If not your near enough ..............probably closer than most dealers would bother to get it ! :clap

So........................................you bought one before me!........ lend us your balancer mate!!!;)

have you got the 4 tube model or the 2 tube? 'spose it's the 2 tube or you would have tried the others.

really must be an calibration prob with the tool. to tell the truth i've never double checked with mine. i will next time.

have you tried leaning the guages back a few degrees to damp the jittering? that may help.

i'd just average it.

Balance

Get yourself a "Y" piece and a piece of hose for the Carbtune, (try Halfords ) and join both guages together. Put the Carbtune on one throttle and you will see the differences between the two dials.

Do this at different vac. levels & make note - you then have a calibration chart!

Cheers, Rick.

carbtune

Tickle,
how old are your guages or when was the last time they were used? because the steel rods can get a little sticky.
I had not used mine for a while some time back,then I tried to balance the bodies and the rods did not move at all so I took it too pieces and cleaned the rods and put some WD40 on them and now works a treat try that it might be your problem.A sticky rod, ooooer missus. Andy

Gave up

I gave up with a carbtune for the same reasons, was less acurate than doing it by ear, Found I could tune it better buy riding and tweaking it in, if you know wot I mean.

Now use a TwinMax can't reconmend them high enougth

G...

i wondered why so many board regulars seem to use the somewhat pricier twinmax system.

i get very good results with my 4 x morgan tubes though, certainly better than my old and expensive bank of guages.

i need to do 4's sometimes & can't justify 4 x twinmax anyhow :)

Cheers for the ideas lads. I got a telephone call from John Morgan today and he told me that it could possibly be a very small air leak in one of the hoses or in one of the vacuum tubes ( I've got the twin gauge jobbie - not the 4 cylinder model). It's brand new and only 1 day old so there were no problems with replacing it.

The Morgan carbtune service has been excellent. I ordered my unit from their website on Tuesday, it arrived on Wednesday, I e-mailed them on Wednesday at 5pm about the problem I had and they e-mailed me back an hour later. Today I recieved a telephone call from John Morgan himself and he was very helpfull.

Originally I almost got the twinmax setup but at nearly double the price of the carbtune, I thought I'd investigate the carbtune first. I'm sure that once my little prob is sorted out they'll be fine. I can then go & spend the £40 quid I saved on mostly beer :D Oh yes, the carbtunes are also made in good ol' Blighty...

Back
Top Bottom