Technosaur stoopid quest -ions

The Slow Granger

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok I know I could search for the rest of the night within this forum, but hey -why not tap in to some experts to save my headache getting worse... :nenau

I am after a unit for about £300. There are a few 2610's appearing but I don't know what the difference is interms of features and software releases.
I need something basic, with 7 digit postcode search and a fairly large screen

I was going for the last of the cheapo Quest 's until I had one in my hand and realised I need glasses for the small screen. I also thought inputting data was like pulling teeth but I really like the battery freedom from wires (suitable for most of my journeys).

So then I started looking at the Pda options and got really excited as these seem to be battery supported and have a decent sized touch screen. I am concerned by the vibration and whether such a multi tool as this is cutting short on functionality of bespoke GPS units.

Will someone take my hand and get me off this bloody roundabout - as usual I've ended up with nothing!(apart from getting lost and _issed off with the general lack of signs! :rob )

Appreciate comments - good and bad about the older 2610's that have recently been advertised and Pda options. :confused:

Thanks and sorry for forcing my ignorance on you.

I doubt a PDA will stand up to the vibration caused by a bike. It will only take Tom Tom.
As for the 2610, look at the long recent debate about the 2820 screen size. Ignore the first few vituprative pages and look at the brilliant advice / comparison by Pan.

tomtom rider

£330 on ebay at the moment inc. post. Great bit of kit, 7 digit postcode inc mounts and power lead for bike, and you get a great speed camera alert for £2 from pocket gps. Think i might just buy another one myself. Garmin 2720 is better for car and bike, they are around £550. hope that helps, had both, could put up a good argument for both. nick

Granger:

The problem with the PDA based GPSRs is that few (if any) of them are waterproof, and it is a SOB to try and control them (enter data into them) while you are riding a moto. It's no fun to drop one of those tiny PDA stylus devices at a traffic light and watch it roll into a crack in the pavement.

The PDA based devices only make sense if you have a PDA already (or need to get one for work), and you can pick up the software and hardware needed to allow it to do navigation for a very small incremental cost. Otherwise, I recommend that you rule them out for moto use.

I did a blurb comparing the different 2xxx series GPSRs for Llama on this thread, towards the bottom of the page: click here.

Michael

less lost

I feel better already, thanks all for some good advice.... Pan - I am re evaluating the budget after your advice! :bounce1

Steve

Back
Top Bottom