French town flattened by Nazis

Diamond Blade

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I seem to recall seeing something in the GS forum about a small town somewhere in central France that had been left as it was the day it was destroyed in WW2. I have searched various threads but cannot find it again. We are planning a trip that way next month and the guys wanted to include it on the agenda. Anyone able to help with the town name. As I recall it may have been near Limoges.

The resident of Vallon Pont d'Arc were massacred by the Nazi's and the old parts of the town have been left as a memorial...it may be that one.

Diamond Blade said:
Many thanks guys for the prompt response. Am I right in saying it was near Limoges ?

Yes it is, try a Google search on 'Oradour sur Glane' :thumb

There were a few other hamlets obliterated in the Vredun area with only scattered remains left to give any clues that people once lived in the area. I believe that the Verdun salient is the most shelled place on Earth and is a worthwhile area to visit.

Its definately Oradour.
You can read about it in the Book Das Reich by Max Hastings.
Story is, allied forces invade France 6 th June '44, SS division Das Reich is refitting in south west France.
Das Reich start to move Normandy but keep getting attacked by French resistance and therefore a 3 day move takes 2 weeks.
Eventually they get pissed off and also one of there popular officers is 'kidnapped'.
They believe Oradour residents are responsible, so surround village move women and children into Church, shoot all men then blow church up.
Village is then torched.
Das reich move onto Normandy and pretty well shot up. Survivors are taken to court after the war but are let off.
Oradour is left as monument, new town built 1 mile down road.
Was used at beginning and end of award winning World at War series (Thames TV 1973)

oradoure

Yep it was oradour, went there in 2000. very spooky place. after the event the town was moved 1mile down the road and the original town was left as it stood. I went and walked around, bit like tales you here of pow camps, no birds singing no talking even though hundreds of visitors just a faint crunching of feet on gravel. It has to be the saddest place i've ever been to.
worth a visit but it will have an effect on you.
It doesn't do anything to restore your faith in human nature.

This is the place... I imagine it would be a moving place to visit...

Attachments

• oradour%201.jpg
    oradour%201.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,355
Took this pic last year because of the similarity between the vapour trails and the tramlines. Converted to B&W as it seemed fitting................

One of the surprising details is that a lot of the SS that levelled the town......... were French!

Definately worth a visit if you are in the area.

Al :eek

Attachments

• OSG.jpg
    OSG.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,421
Went last week after years of thinking about it. Having read Mike P's blog gave me an insight.

I was surprised at the number of British cars in the car-park and everyone was a credit to us, no larking about. It's a shame that at a national monument the French came with picnics and their kids larking about with footballs etc. Perhaps it's a cultural thing!

Very movng and the blue plaques that they have put up to mark the businesses bring a sense of the human scale of things ratther than gutted buildings and rusting cars.

I was there 2 weeks ago.

It's a 'must visit' place.

:rose

Greg

IMG_0295-1.jpg

Theres another Oradour twix Cermont and Milau, near Saint-Flour. Not to far from the N75. Don't ask how I found out. :eek: I can still hear the Frenchies giggling as I wandered out of the bar. Apparently they were having thick roast beef for dinner. :augie

Back
Top Bottom