Trans Sahara preparations....

Gecko

Reaction score
Well not exactly Sahara - more like Eastern Belgium in fact :D

Ok folks here it is. Me and MiGSel have been mad enough to enrol in a one day off-road riding course in the East of Belgium on 31st May.
I have just been looking at the weather forecast and bugger me ...... it's heading towards 30 degrees C this coming weekend !!!!
It's hard the beleive after all the rain and cool temperatures of the last few weeks but it looks like it's going to be a corker !

My bike is as ready as it will ever be - everything stripped off that as I try to avoid unwelcome repair bills. I have even put some transparent 25mm rubber tubing on the likely contact areas of the H&B bars and low adhesive rubber tape on the bits of the tank that may make contact oh yeah , and removed the aux lights.....any other suggestions anyone ?

Watch this space for post carnage pics after the weekend :D

If you have a TOuratech/Wunderlich Kahedo tankbag with sidebags, put those sidebags on, and fill then with some
30x20cm hardplastic (kitchen) cutting plate... It really saves your tank...

Attachments

• otr.jpg
    otr.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 262
I agree with Zwerver, the tank bags save a lot of damage. Not sure about cutting boards though, they are a bit tough themselves on the bags.
Best padding I've found was when my girlfriend packed for a welsh weekend - no shoes but lots of underwear! Dropped it several times no damage except my pride.

Strand-wolf said:
I agree with Zwerver, the tank bags save a lot of damage. Not sure about cutting boards though, they are a bit tough themselves on the bags.
Best padding I've found was when my girlfriend packed for a welsh weekend - no shoes but lots of underwear! Dropped it several times no damage except my pride.

Can you send me some of your girlfriends underwear to protect my tank please :D :D :D

Gecko said:
Can you send me some of your girlfriends underwear to protect my tank please :D :D :D

I'll send you some of my ex-wife's - you'll be able to protect the whole bloody bike.....:(

Well I don't know how hot it was in Morrocco but it was sweltering in Belgium today. 30 degrees C is no temperature to go off roading but we did....and we survived. MiGSel took an early mud bath, in fact in the first mud we came to :D . I think he did it to gain some cudos and make his bike look 'used' ;)
The group was just 5 bikes, 2 Adventures, my 11GS , an Africa Twin and a Transalp.
We picked our way through the countryside and broke the ride with some welcome refreshment stops which were much needed.
Here's some of the pics.

Attachments

• img_0005.jpg
    img_0005.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 188
splash down

GS with bow wave :D

Attachments

• img_0010.jpg
    img_0010.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 186
MiGSel - after having taken his mud bath approached the water a bit more conservatively second time :D

Attachments

• img_0012.jpg
    img_0012.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 183
Pit stop - somewhere in a Belgium forest

Attachments

• img_0014.jpg
    img_0014.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 186
Yours truely - absolutely knackered - That T-shirt is soaked in sweat , not the Belgium beers

Attachments

• img_0023.jpg
    img_0023.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 174
End os a good day - MiGSel checking out the GPS and saving the route so we can do it all again another day. He's got some pics too which I hope he will share . Great ride but sooooooo HOT today we were getting to the point of heat exhaustion. It really puts things in perspective when you consider wrestling a GS through the Sahara.....lot's of respect to those guys.

Attachments

• img_0035.jpg
    img_0035.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 172
Gecko Hi,

That looks fun and within my capabilities! How did you get to hear of this course - I wanna go. Or failing that, is that BMW course still running in Germany for GS owners?

Nice piccies and looked fun shame about the heat!:)

timmy

Tim
It's run by a training school who , among other things, teach the Belgium cops how to ride. It gave me a lot of confidence that I was missing. I have messed around with other bikes off road but this was a good day of confidence building without making you feel like a total beginner. It cost Euro 150 for the day which included breakfast , lunch and several refreshment stops during the day. The mud holes were a bit worrying at first because none of us had knobblies - just plain old Tourances so the idea of sliding the GS through the mud was a bit daunting but as you can see the confidence went up with the size of the splashes :D

If there is interest I am sure they would make an English language course for those interested. We were with just 4 of us an the instructor so the group wouldn't need to be that big to make it possible. If any one wants I can put them in touch with the right people and help you set something up. They are based in Tongeren in the East of Belgium (close to Maastricht - Holland)
Cheers
Gecko

Cheers Gecko,
I hadnt realised that you were based in Belgium. The problem would be drumming up enough interest for people to go. Iam after something like your day out so that i can use the GS gently off road and build my confidence as well as have a bit of fun.

BMW did run an off road course in Germany for their GS range, but I'm not sure if it still runs.

Cheers timmy

Back
Top Bottom