Mapsource for Morocco?

What do you want your GPS to do? Autoroute or tell you where you are?

IIRC the base map of a EU SP3 26xx etc will allow autorouting, albeit on a reduced level of mapping.

WorldMap will give more information but will probably be less accurate :eek:

John Armstrong said:

IIRC the base map of a EU SP3 26xx etc will allow autorouting, albeit on a reduced level of mapping.

WorldMap will give more information but will probably be less accurate :eek:

Yes use WorldMap, and a Michelin 959 map :)

Basically I just need some simple map info.

For instance, in Mapsource, Missour is shown sitting in the desert with no roads connecting it.... and it's not like that!

So, I just need roads, including secondary ones.

PG

The Other PaulG said:
Basically I just need some simple map info.

For instance, in Mapsource, Missour is shown sitting in the desert with no roads connecting it.... and it's not like that!

So, I just need roads, including secondary ones.

PG

WorldMap will show some minor roads even tracks but you often won't be able to tell which is which.

Get yourself a CD copy of WorldMap and install that to your GPS.

You will need to forget conventional/European GPS navigation using autoroute and combine with a map, and as John Armstrong says use the GPS for telling you where you are, or if you are travelling on pistes which you have previously entered 'Waypoints' for, you can get a straight line indication to each one.

If you can't find a copy, give me a shout and I'll burn one off for you.

Touratech QV is also a possibility for you.......with the West Africa maps.

It's a set of detailed Russian maps that you can use to plan a route..you mark it up with Waypoints and then upload them to the GPS.....you dont get the maps uploaded (unless you have a compatible GPS) but you do end up with accurate waypoints that you can follow.....I set a WP on each turn or big bend, then a couple of hundred yards down the road from each turn so when I get to the junction, I know which way to go....

The maps are old though and Morocco has a lot of development and roads building going on, but it's much much better than worldmap.

Another option is to use a PDA based solution and scan your own maps in....there's software that will calibrate the maps to GPS coordinates and if you do it carefully, you end up with your own maps showing on the screen ......Blowzorn had this set up on his angry bike in Morocco in April and it worked really well...he'd be able to tell you what the software etc he uses is called.

HTH

I've the Marocco for garmin for free (no autorouting).
Not original garmin map but a good free map that I've uploaded to my GPS V (very good, city, roads, off roads tracks, rivers etc...).
I've not here with me this map (I'm away from my house) but when I'll came back Il'' may send you the map! (a setup file that add it to MapSource)

Theo said:
I've the Marocco for garmin for free (no autorouting).
Not original garmin map but a good free map that I've uploaded to my GPS V (very good, city, roads, off roads tracks, rivers etc...).
I've not here with me this map (I'm away from my house) but when I'll came back Il'' may send you the map! (a setup file that add it to MapSource)

Theo...I'd be very interested in having a look at that as well if you wouldn't mind....... fanum1*at*gmail.com :thumb

Cheers

Bill

Bill, please tell you are not going to rely on a GPS for navigation.....remember Llangollen fords run :D

OK! Let me came back home and I'll send you the maps...
I found it on an internet site of free maps. Evereyone may upload in this site a personal calibrated map. It's a free source very good, I'll looking fot the URL too!!!

Bye, Theo

Theo said:
STOP STOP STOP!!!! I've the link!!!! (thank's to Iexplorer history :D )

MAROKKO-TOPO...

http://www.island-olaf.de/travel/marokko/gps.html

Download here the maps for mapsource...
Let me know what do you think about the map quality!!!!

Very good :thumb

88953765-O.jpg

Smaller roads and towns still missing, wheres Zoumi gone :D

88953755-O.jpg

A good find :)

Opps my mistake, zoom into 2 miles and under and secondary roads appear :thumb

88954513-O.jpg

i realise this is an old thread but i am desperate to find a morocco map for my Garmin Etrex hand held??? - all help appreciated

Back
Top Bottom