first trip abroad

andy leett

Reaction score
thinking of riding across to france 7 june with the wife.it will be my first time would like to go to paris just for the day then acouple of days touring coming back on the 11/12 june. recomendations and help please.

Andy,

bear in mind that petrol stations in many parts of France close between about midday and 3pm or so. I've always made a point of making sure we'd filled up by 11 am. I also had problems getting the 'auto-pumps' (which have a credit card slot) to accept UK cards - although I'm told that if you have the type with a built in chip this shouldn't be a snag.

We used to start looking for a 'chambre d'hote' (B&B) around 5pm and spend the rest of the evening drinking wine :D

Mike:)

bear in mind that petrol stations in many parts of France close between about midday and 3pm or so.
The French eat dinner at 12:00 'til 14:00 ish so bear this in mind. I make sure I've got enough for this period. Or you could join them for dinner yourself.

I also had problems getting the 'auto-pumps' (which have a credit card slot) to accept UK cards - although I'm told that if you have the type with a built in chip this shouldn't be a snag.
Don't believe it! I have 2 cards with chips in and neither of them work!!!

We used to start looking for a 'chambre d'hote' (B&B) around 5pm and spend the rest of the evening drinking wine :D
I find there's always plenty of rooms in places like "Camponile" or "Mr Bed" etc..at any time. BUT some smaller towns seem to close up completely at 20:00 hrs. Just look out for the signs by the road side.
[/B]

Just remember one thing ; Pick the minor roads and ENJOY the empty roads.

andy leett said:
thinking of riding across to france 7 june with the wife.it will be my first time would like to go to paris just for the day then acouple of days touring coming back on the 11/12 june. recomendations and help please.

Andy
If this is really your first trip abroad I would recommend you avoid Paris at all costs. It is a manic place to drive even if you know your way around - if you don't and you are driving on the ' wrong side of the road' you are an acccident waiting to happen. They take no prisoners !!! Also chance of getting your bike nicked in Paris is a lot higher . Why not just take in some of the French country side and keep out of Paris or if you want to pop up to Belgium I'd be happy to show you and the missus around . I am up near Antwerp.
Cheers
Gecko

Hi

I live in France and you'll find that you always find petrol somewhere. I know I've got a v8 defender so we stop regularly.
In any case your bike won't need filling more than once between the UK and Paris and the stations on the auto route are always open.
One thing for sure is that you have to take it easy in Paris however if you don't start lane splitting you'll be fine and avoid the Arc de Triomphe (bad enough in a car). There's a tunnel anyway in the direction of La Defense from the Champs Elysees anyway.
If you're coming this far though better take a few more days and tour Bourgogne. Two and a half hours from paris and losts of wonderful country roads and great wine. Try and shack up in a 'gite '(farm house) and it will be really worth your while.

Re: THE ARC DE TRIOMPH

The Foolish Fellow said:
YOUVE JUST GOT TO DO IT !

PARIS
I reckon the Periphique also must be done,totally mad,but I'd sooner do it solo,without luggage on a XT600 or similar.

Mind you the Bruxelles Ring Road is another seat of the pants city road. Wider,but also faster,with plenty of opportunities for high speed filtering to sharpen up your reflexes - ace fun with Beemer panniers.
It's a mad road,which is either 100mph or STOP.

where to stay in france

When you get over there call in the first tourist info and pick up a logis de france guide (it's free). Excellent hotels and a useful map. I recommend the two chimneys as being a good compromise between price and comfort/character.

Re: Re: THE ARC DE TRIOMPH

JohnnyBoxer said:
PARIS
I reckon the Periphique also must be done,totally mad,but I'd sooner do it solo,without luggage on a XT600 or similar.

Mind you the Bruxelles Ring Road is another seat of the pants city road. Wider,but also faster,with plenty of opportunities for high speed filtering to sharpen up your reflexes - ace fun with Beemer panniers.
It's a mad road,which is either 100mph or STOP.

Yup - it's all true - it's mad in the rush hour. The Antwerp ring is just as exciting with all the North - South truckers lane swapping at 100kmh through the tunnel .....life expectancy of the unwary biker is pretty short. :eek:

Andy, I'd save Paris for a Eurostar trip. I've ridden through and around it a number of times and although it's "fun" it's bloody hard work and so I'd have to agree with Johnnyboxer that it's best done solo and without luggage.

3 days gives you enough time to make a gentle trip down to Le Mans or maybe Blois or Chartres. All interesting towns worth visiting.

Personally I'd avoid the edge of town hotels (F1, Campanile etc. as they're normally miles from anywhere and are invariably next door door to a shit Pizza house - although the Campanile at Tours has a restaurant that should be ashamed of the name).

I prefer hotels in larger towns as at least there's normally a bar or two in the near vicinity for the evening and a better choice of restaurants.

BTW the only time I've ever found problems with petrol is on Sundays off the motorways (and then it can get really serious) and our credit cards don't work in their machines even with the chips.

That's my 2 pennyworth. Have a good trip.

Cheers

Dick

andy leett said:
Andy
Pity you didn't mention it earlier, you could have come this us to
Brittany and the atlantic cost, suburb roads and scenery, great food, did I mention wine?? as your going when we are.

John

Andy

Don't know which way you're crossing the Channel - if you haven't made your plans yet, consider the Seacat from Newhaven to Dieppe (2 and 1/2 hours). Straight into Normandy, which has beautiful towns, D-Day stuff and fantastic food (if pretty rich) - MUCH better than northern France which is flat and incredibly dull (will take you ages to find anything interesting).

Alternatively, consider the Ardennes in Belgium - went there at Easter and loved it. Got the 08:00 Eurotunnel and were having coffee in Namur before lunchtime. South of there is fantastic countryside (and roads), amazing food (spot the theme here?) and good (inexpensive) family hotels. Truly gorgeous place and has forever changed my opinion of Belgium.

Have LOADS of fun!

andy

paris i would avoid if you can it is manic big time , a friend & myself were filtering though there at about 60mph & get beept to get out the way by local's who must have been doing 80mph,that periphique is a one off no other place like it [manic] mind you if you do paris you must go to versailles another outstanding place to visit.......good luck you'll need it filtering....

Did my first tour on the GS last week, 1200 miles over a three day weekend to the Le Mans MotoGP. Wasnt all plain sailing.

Touring is crap if the weathers bad. Decent waterproofs and spares essential. Fog City was a saviour. Peed down for most of the weekend.

24h auto petrol pumps are your only choice outside store hours and sundays -- except they dont do UK cards. Ended up bribing locals with cash to use their cards. No problem, they all went out of their way to be helpful.

Choose your riding partners well. Fellow rider was on a Firestorm. Petrol stops every 80'ish miles and plenty of running on fumes moments.

Take some oil. Consumption went up after higher speed peage stuff and couldnt get semi synthetic.

Otherwise top stuff. Enjoy your holiday.

Oh, a bit of a plug...

Usually stay at a petit chateux just outside Tours in a great village with great roads. Called La Cornilliere in Mettray. Bike and people friendly.
Ideal for Loire towns like Tours, Chinon, Ambois etc.

Reason I mention is that the owners do weekend breaks. Sleeping at least 5 and at 350€ for 3 nights this is cheaper than any F1 and alot more fun.
Check it out...

http://www.lacornilliere.com.fr

best of luck

Andy
just come back from France myself....
fantastic, empty roads, try the green and yellow ones on Michelin maps; you can often cover big distances fast on roads that look on the map as if they're slow.
These roads however can have few petrol stations, so if going through a town when you're low on fuel, fill up then.
Out in the country people seem to be v. biker friendly so make the most of it.
We came back to UK to be confronted on the M20 by traffic jams, roadworks and Gatsos..welcome home!

Andy,

I live in Paris, but this weekend I'm in my house in Normandy. If you want to drop, do so by all means. Drop me a message.

Gas Stations. Are usually open on D routes during bizz hours, some open later at night. Cities are open often 24 hours. Autoroutes are open 24 hours. In big cities look for the gast stations in underground parking garages, that's were you'll usually find them. They'll accept Visa cards, many accept Amex (not the small mom & pop ones).

Paris. Indeed watch out. Stay away from Etoile and Maillot. They're death traps for the novice (if you end up there, ignore what's happening on your left, concentrate on your right!). Peripherique is dangerous, obviously from cars, but more so for other bikers (I tend to travel at 60-70 mph in between cars, and I still get pushed out of the way by crotch rockets).

Also remember that there are many strikes going on at this moment, and you might find some backlash.....

You're better off in Normandy. Are you taking the ferry or the chunnel ??

firstly i would like to thank everybody for their advice it has been very helpful.
MIKE have dcided to take the chunnel will leave early on saterday morning folkeston is about 6 hours from where i live will then take the 2 o clock train.have been quoted £50 but they dont say if that is for 1person or 2 or doesnt it matter. when we arrive will head for normandy will get accommodation on way(any recommendations).as for paris will try and get there for 1 day but wont be riding.i here france has a bank holliday 9 june does that mean it will be busy with locals all having day off.

French Lessons

The cheapest motels are the "Formula One " like being in a ship or tubberware box ...but clean and cheap ...always outside towns , and generally in a industrial estate area ...but I find them very good .......once past the centre of France the temp seems to jump , and riding is much more pleasant ...did Bol 'Dor in 97 , and it was a wizz.........more accidents on the way and back than on the track ....French drivers are very Bike Friendly ...cos most of them have ridden a bike of some sort .
If you are on a bike , you are treated well ...even a smattering of French is taken well ...make the effort ...they like you for it

PS What was tha last war that the French were not involved in

THE SECOND WORLD WAR ...but best not bring that up over Champignons and L'esgarot .......

Have a ball !......

Re: French Lessons

Peter Harte said:

PS What was tha last war that the French were not involved in

THE SECOND WORLD WAR ...but best not bring that up over Champignons and L'esgarot

They might consider their involvement in Indo-China and Algeria as wars.........

If you are going this wekend, isn't Hamme a place to visit on your trip...... probably nothing happening there..........:D but from there it's a short hop to the Ardennes and the Meuse Valley..........................

June 9th is indeed a BH in Frogland and Belgium (and possibly other places) but as it's a Monday too, loads of stuff in France would have been shut anyway! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom