Morocco in December

geerob

Two of are planning a 3 week trip to Morocco as Christmas. I've searched the forums to try and get an idea on what the weather is like around, then and the only thing I've found is 'cold & wild'. Anybody been out there at this time and can extend on this?

Last New Years Day ...

... we landed in Cueta, and while riding during the day was ok (full gear) the nights were a tad chilly for some i.e. Camping at -4 degrees C. The further South you go the better it is, but you won't feel 'warm' until the very far South aka The Western Sahara.

If you want to read more (and contribute to the TiTS wall fund) click the link below :thumb

Went last December and january. Report HERE

Bit chilly riding down through France and Spain -

France = Ice on the screen

Spain - ice on the roads

wet, cold and wild?

Most of the interesting parts of Morocco are at altitude, for example, Marrakech is 1500', Azrou is 4200', Ouarzazate is 3500'. As for the mountain passes, Col du Zad (between Azrou and Midelt) is 7000' and the High Atlas passes are about 8000'.

Some of the main roads can get blocked for short periods with snow, though they are quickly cleared with snow ploughs. There's a big map board by the side of the road in El Hajeb (between Meknes and Azrou) that shows the up-to-date situation of all the main passes. Smaller roads can also get blocked, however are left like that until the snow melts of its own accord.

Expect freezing cold mornings, especially at altitude, then hopefully warm watery sunshine through the day, then getting cold again after about 3pm. I suggest you seriously consider
- electrically heated jacket with sleeves (e.g. Gerbing)
- handlebar muffs
- gaucho bag

See Steptoe for the last two items http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64505
The gaucho is what's around his legs in the pic above.

Trip earlier this year in Jan

Tim

Hmm. I walked down into Oukaimeden from the Tizi 'n Aidi a few years ago. The mules loved the hidden valley and were let loose to roam. It's the best grass for many miles around as it's under snow for so many months during the winter.

You can just make out the mules in this pic

mules.jpg

Tim

Back
Top Bottom