week off - round uk? or a trip into europe....?

steveuk

i am thinking about taking a week off (7 days - no longer!) and either....

taking a ride round the coast of Great Britain (as close to the coast line as i can) probably camping.....

or

a trip into europe ...... alpes, south of france, spain back up west coast france. . . . also probably camping..

pros / cons? i am leaning towards the first option......i know you can do it in 3 days (muppet?) and i know some say you should take 20......am used to high miles (regularly do 150 miles at both ends of a 10 hour work day) so reckon 7 days is "do-able" - 400 miles a day is no problem....

have done europe before - but there are some great roads out there!

what do you think?
:nenau

for me there is no doubt about the answer....... Europe.

It's bigger, it's friendlier to bikers, and more importantly there is much less traffic.

I live in the UK,
I work in the UK,
I love the UK,

but biking (for me at least) is better on the continent.

Cheers

Dave#...

4 days, and it was extreme riding to achieve a goal, not to enjoy the scenery (although I did see quite a lot).

Instead of thinking of the whole coastline in a week (you'd have to do 500 miles a day) why not focus on one or two areas if you want to stay in the UK?

If I had a spare week I'd do Scotland. Fantastic roads up there, as good as any you'll get in Europe. You can be up there in a day from London, you won't have the expense of the channel crossing or travel insurance. The weather, well it might be good, it might not, a chance you take anywhere really.

Or what about the Yorkshire moors and dales, or the Peak District, or Wales? Plenty in all those areas to keep you occupied for a week without the need for stellar mileages.

After looking at Whattons photo's I'd do Scotland, I,ve been there but not biking and not to those remote parts, it looks just fanatastic.

My brother Dave (user name on this group is "how much") did the coast of britain on his TDM last year in 8 days and that was averaging 10 hours a day in the saddle with an average speed of 40mph. He reckons scotland the best bit and south coast the worst but have a look at his web site...

http://www.david-baker.magix.net/

Bob

Unless you're heading for Scotland there's no contest, none at all, it's got to be South of France. SoF that much further anyway?

SoF in September's fantastic, quiet and sunny with fields of Lavender. Getting to Scotland will be traffic jam infested torture, let alone a ride around the coast - surely the worst idea for a ride ever.

I'm with John........go with the week's forecast.

I'd be inclined to do the whole west coast of Ireland......it doesn't get much better than that :thumb

Mates just did Italian Alps and back in a week on R1200GS. Top riding, how I wish I could have gone...........2 kids, recently unemployed etc. Maybe next year..... :(

Two weeks ago, came back across Europe from Croatia. Rain started in Slovenia. Kept going, on and off, all the way, reserving the wettest stretch for a torrential downpour on the M20.

I'd go with John and Fanum's approach... Look at the weather, head for the sunshine, wherever it is.

Have to agree with the above, follow the good weather and head south into Europe.

Ahem ...

Fanum said:
I'd be inclined to do the whole west coast of Ireland......it doesn't get much better than that :thumb

Except for the North East, which is pretty bloody spectacular too :thumb

When you thinking of going Steve?

I'm up in Scotland for a few days early November... and again for the New Year!

Would be good to ride with you again :D

:beerjug:

www.adventure.gs

hi micky - the week off never happened :( - it filled with work (as usual)...

would be good to ride with you again.....keep me posted on when you have in mind and i'll see whats what with work. . . .

:)

steveuk said:
hi micky - the week off never happened :( - it filled with work (as usual)...

would be good to ride with you again.....keep me posted on when you have in mind and i'll see whats what with work. . . .

:)

If all else fails we're booked in at Longtown for the New Year :thumb

Ride up Sunday (New Years Eve) and have two or three nights.. :bounce1

Everyone welcome.

Otherwise will let you know about November as and when :beerjug:

Madman,
like your link :thumb
Ta for that :)
also bookmarked the weather site as we're off (again! :D ) soon to pick up a bike in Toulouse and bring it home to Dublin.
Hooo boyyyy! cant wait!!! :bounce1 :bounce1 :bounce1
~~
Og - note to self - need new waterproofs!

Back
Top Bottom