main electrical loom burn out

john wells

Last tuesday I was leaving home as usual on my R1150GS which I use everyday when the horn started sounding and the indicators came on. I stopped the bike immediately only to see smoke coming from underneath the tank. I lifted the tank to see several burnt out wires. Eventually the bike was taken to my local BMW dealer who has informed me the bike will require a new loom plus new handlebar switches, starter relay and a few other bits - total cost around £1200 parts £800 labour.

The bike is 18 months old has done 9000 miles and has had no modifications other than a Remus exhaust. As yet the fault has not been identified. Has anyone else experienced anything similar if so what was the outcome?

Are BMW paying for these repairs?... with such a low mileage and only 18 months old, I would be none too impressed if this was my GS, and would be seeking a warantee claim. :eek:

As yet the dealer has been unable to contact BMW UK apparently they're all on holiday! However, the dealer gave no indication that BMW UK would be very sympathetic. He reckons the bike will be off the road for a least 2-3 weeks!

Bad luck...

John, I'm assuming your bike was originally supplied with 12 months warranty? (can't remember when they switched to 24 months, but it must've been about 18 months ago...).
Have you owned the bike from new & did you buy it from this dealer? Sounds like a very worrying failure, please post the outcome...

Mike :(

Bike was bought new from BMW dealer in Bath in september 2001 because they had one in stock and gave a good part ex for my R1100RT. The bike is currently with Clark's in Birmingham.

1150gs electrical burn out

Thought people might like to know how I got on with regard to my electrical burn out on my 1150 gs as I have just collected it from Clark's in Birmingham. My fully comprehensive Norwich Union insurance proved to be useless. An assessor came looked at the damage which was all contained within the electrical system said there was no resultant damage therefore the claim was rejected. My only hope was BMW. I contacted a guy called Howard Godolphin but he wasn't too forth coming. Next call was to be to Dave Taylor the top guy in BMW UK. However before I made the call Clark's were given the go ahead from BMW to do the repair for free. I have learnt several things from this experience. Firstly if you have an electrical fault which detroys the loom hope that it detroys the bike then you can claim on your insurance. Secondly, perhaps Clarks gets a bit too much bad press at times. Thirdly always complain to the highest person in the organisation that you can get hold of. Fourthly BMW did eventually do the right thing for which I am grateful. And finally( thank f*** I hear you say) the one thing I have not learnt is what caused the problem in the first place.

A possible reason for the electrical short is the ignition switch wiring loom. BMW have now upgraded the type of plastic insulation on the outer sheath so it doesn't crack as easily and then work it's way to the other wires.

I have had my ignition wiring loom fail completely almost causing me to a have a rather nasty drop.

Here in Australia I Have personally seen 7, 1100/1150 GS bikes with an ignition switch loom fault that was dangerous. It's not just the GS range it appears to be all of the range in the 259 series at risk.

My advice to all and sundry is to check the condition of the major cable about 30-50mm before it enters the ignition switch under the top triple clamp. If you see cracks in the outer sheath then almost for certain you'll see cracks and maybe bare wires in the inner cables.

Mick.

Re: 1150gs electrical burn out

john wells said:
Firstly if you have an electrical fault which detroys the loom hope that it detroys the bike then you can claim on your insurance.

Yes. I was sorely tempted to spill some petrol and throw a match at it when the loom of my 100GS went up recently. Unfortunately, I don't smoke, so didn't have a match with me.:(
£242 later it's repaired and back getting dirty. See you all at the Weyhill.

I recently had a problem with the loom on my Sept.2001 1150GS, just before I was due to leave for Europe. The warning lights started to play up - ie not coming on immediately with the key but coming on later!. Eventually traced to breaks in the wires of the short loom which goes from a multi-pin plug under tank to the warning lamps. This loom does not have to move or flex & is firmly strapped to the fairing support stay. Because holidays were imminent I cut loom sleeving to investigate and found there are several crimp joints within loom where one wire becomes two or three. Two of these had broken giving rise to faults. I repaired loom myself & reported problem to my dealer. I have now toured Europe with no problems, but no word back from dealer yet! ( John Clark, Dundee )- mind you, it's only been three weeks!!:mad:

Back
Top Bottom