Opinions please........

jonnie comet

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
..2610, or Quest 2 ?.....I had heard that the Quest 2 was unreliable, is this still the case ?....I like the idea of the internal battery on the Quest 2, but the 2610 is a tried and trusted unit, albeit now discontinued.

There is only about 60 quid or so in it.......which one would you go for ?

Cheers..... :)

If it's the battery you want then go for a Quest 1.

Quest 2 - poor satellite lock and painfully slow redraw/recalc rates, in excess of 1 minute was quite normal on the two that I had.

If you're not worried about the internal battery then the 2610 is a bit of a bargain at the moment.

If you want 10 hour off-bike capability, long track recording and to be able to pocket it, and as long as you're not blind as a bat, Q1.

If you want touch screen, capability to carry more maps on cards and a remote control, 2610.

I'd choose a Q1 over a 2610 everytime.

Look up both on the Garmin tech specs site and compare....they're bith good units, but only you know what you need.

jonnie comet said:
I had heard that the Quest 2 was unreliable
Yes it is. Very unreliable. But only when you fill it up with plenty of routes & waypoints. It seems to work fine when empty. But who needs an empty navigator? :nenau

The Quest 1 seems to be much more reliable. :type

My choise would be a 60CX if I wanted a navigator in the Quest size. :thumb

HMR said:
Yes it is. Very unreliable. But only when you fill it up with plenty of routes & waypoints. It seems to work fine when empty.

I never had this problem with the two Quest 2's that I had. Neither one of them had any more than a handful of waypoints and a route or two at any one time yet they both had problems with maintaining satellite lock and slow redraw/recalc rates. Replacing the aerial on the first one made no difference either.

My previous Quest 1 on the other hand performed perfectly well with a whole tours worth of waypoints and routes.

:nenau

Cheers for the replies gents....... :thumb..... really appreciate it.

OK, I know that I could search the forum to find this out, but I'm hoping you will take pity.......
Is is a fairly straight foreword job to plot a course to (say) a Hotel, in Europe on a Q1 ? I don't need all the bells and whistles, just a straight foreword "this way / that way" GPS. I also don't want to carry a lap top around.

Am I expecting too much.......??.......... :eek:

My 2d worth...
Plenty of happy Quest 1 users out there, it appears to work fine and is a neat looking unit.

Quest 2 on paper seemed a better combination to me of:
whole of Europe pre installed, I liked the compact size, screen was big enough (just), portable with internal battery, handy size, waterproof and at £360 :rolleyes: I could justify the expense.

Sadly, like Twotter, I had problems, poor satelite lock and painfully slow recalc times, often a hanging screen as I was closing fast on a junction which caused too many... "aaaaaargghhhhh...which way do I go..." moments. Got fed up with that very quickly. :spitfire

Returned it to Garmin and received a 2720 in exchange. Result!! :thumb
Huge improvement over my Quest 2, larger screen, fast processing times, it just works. However, bigger unit won't just slip in a pocket, no internal battery so needs plugging in to run, but for my requirements it works well, quick re-calcs and the touch screen is a bonus. :bounce1

I note that in the two months since I got a GPSR, prices have come down so there are deals to be had, certainly on the 2610 and others.
As usual, depends what you want/need/can afford from a GPSR.
Good luck

Twotter said:
If it's the battery you want then go for a Quest 1.

Quest 2 - poor satellite lock and painfully slow redraw/recalc rates, in excess of 1 minute was quite normal on the two that I had.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

I left the UK to the mainland on 19th of June and have been using the Quest 2 since then, 20 countries done, and 9,000 miles and the Quest 2 is great, I have all the track log for the whole trip, used it when hiking in Norway, Slovakia and Romania... I might be the luck one, but I haven't had any problems with it.

It came with CN8NT and I don't need to worry loading a set of maps every day...

Jonnie, go to a shop and play with them for a few minutes, you'll see the difference and decide for yourself, for me the (not so) slow re-draw is not a issue and the portability is great,so I chose the Q2 and am very happy with it...

jonnie comet said:
Cheers for the replies gents....... :thumb..... really appreciate it.

OK, I know that I could search the forum to find this out, but I'm hoping you will take pity.......
Is is a fairly straight foreword job to plot a course to (say) a Hotel, in Europe on a Q1 ? I don't need all the bells and whistles, just a straight foreword "this way / that way" GPS. I also don't want to carry a lap top around.

Am I expecting too much.......??.......... :eek:

It's an absolute piece of piss...and you don't need a PC either.
(Although to be totally honest, you will if the hotel isn't known bythe mapping software...that's the same on any GPS device though)

As long as it 'knows' the hotel, you just push 'find', enter the address and select 'route to'........you can set quite a lot of things directly on the GPS (like avoid the whole of Paris for example, or make it go through a certain mountain pass, or avoid motorways etc)

If you've got somewhere in mind, let us know the hotel and address if you have it...I'll whack it in my quest right now and we'll see what it comes up with as an example :thumb

EDIT.....When I said you'd need a pc if the quest doesn't know the hotel, what I meant was it's usefull to have internet access and be able to look up an addy on t'internet...if you don't have that though, you can still find the town centre of any town and ask from there, or there are other tricks that you'll rapidly get used to if you need to find somewhere)

A bit like fcasado above, I've had no problems with my Q2. Taken me on a trip to Spain on France on the bike, a long weekend trip up north in this country, used it loads in the car, and it's always been fine for me.

Only lost satellites on a few occasions (apart from tunnels etc, which affects them all) and only once had a frozen screen. Quick reset and away we went.

The only times I've got lost are when I didn't believe the GPS and didn't follow the instructions. The only poor routing has been the result of user incompetence in setting viapoints.

I was very sceptical about GPS but I wouldn't be without it now.

Thank you again, one and all......I really appreciate it as this is all very new to me. Also, living where I live, there are not many places where I can pop in and have a play with these things.

Fanum. I don't have a specific hotel in mind at the moment, I just wondered if it was as simple as I was hoping, It would appear that it is. Many thanks for offering to help out

Cheers.............. :thumb :)

I cant comment on the other units but I have just got a new quest one with v8 mapping from a seller on ebay for 185 (200 plus p&p). Which is a good price. It was up for 220 but he accepted my offer of 185. You'll need a bike mount to go with it (another 50) and it has spain and portugal preloaded but you can change that with the supplied maps.
Havn't played with it yet but based on recommendations from this site I expect it to be good.
Look out for seller co1dud if you go this route.

Given your stated options and offering no 3rd alternatives (unlike the Council for Quest 1 owners with his personal agenda :D ) it would be the 2610 for me all day long.

The biggest disadvantage of the Quest unit is the screen size and user interface and this hasn't been improved from Quest to Quest 2, you are still limited by your need to navigate and program the unit using the dinky buttons and you still have to choose to lose on screen information or have only half the screen provide a visual representation of your location.

Its just as well the unit does have an on-board battery due to the time you would otherwise spend at the roadside entering addresses or manually inserting co-ordinates.

Bigger screen, touch screen and gloved hand operation and should you want all of Europe on a card then an additional small purchase of a bigger memory card will give you that too. Having said that I haven't bothered with a bigger card, happy to reload mapping on the one or two times I head off for my holibobs each year.

fcasado said:
I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

I left the UK to the mainland on 19th of June and have been using the Quest 2 since then, 20 countries done, and 9,000 miles and the Quest 2 is great, I have all the track log for the whole trip, used it when hiking in Norway, Slovakia and Romania... I might be the luck one, but I haven't had any problems with it.

It came with CN8NT and I don't need to worry loading a set of maps every day...

Jonnie, go to a shop and play with them for a few minutes, you'll see the difference and decide for yourself, for me the (not so) slow re-draw is not a issue and the portability is great,so I chose the Q2 and am very happy with it...

Glad to hear that yours works as advertised. As I've said I really liked my Quest 1 and the Quest 2 sounded like a sensible upgrade that made a good GPS even better. Unfortunately in my experience it didn't work out that way.

The 2610 that I have now has given me back the confidence I had in my Quest 1 and, for a navigation unit, that is worth a lot to me.

Jonnie if you want to play with one I,ve got one (oerr) :D Noooo a quest I mean...I,m only over at Whitby so if you want give us a shout :thumb

enabb said:
Jonnie if you want to play with one I,ve got one (oerr) :D Noooo a quest I mean...I,m only over at Whitby so if you want give us a shout :thumb

Nice one enabb......PMed you..... :thumb

jonnie comet said:
.....Best price on a Quest 2 anyone ?......Seen £360 ish, seems pricey.. :nenau ....... :)

It will work out cheap in the long run when you eventually return it to Garmin and they swap it for a 2720 :D

Back
Top Bottom