Spanish Road Desginations

DavidHale

Reaction score
Sorry for the numpty question, but I'm trying to plot a fast route through France and Spain to Portugal on Mapsource for a delivery and what I need to know is which are the faster roads N-, A- or E- roads? Not worried about scenery, just need to be somewhere as quickly and smoothly as possible.

:thumb

AFAIK,
N roads are equivalent to our A roads-mainly single carriage way,go through towns and villages.
A roads are motorways,
E roads are toll motorways.(will have an A number as well e.g.A7-E15)
Tony

'N' roads can be dual-carriageways or single. Some are newly over-laid on older routes (there has been a massive road building programme in the last dozen years or so, funded by EU money).

Some of the older N routes are still fairly winding and can be quite slow.

'A' roads are motorways, some are Toll-routes.

'E' is an EU designation and is the same in France where you will get both the Spanish/French road designation and the EU one (look at the signs, you will see A8 and E2 etc on the same signpost).

Other roads

Hi all,

Re above.......also what are "C" roads and "Le" roads in Spain, off mapsource too.

Ta,
TD
:thumb2

From what I've seen, it's all pretty random!

I've been on N roads ('Nacional') that can be single carriageway, bumpy and slow. And I've been on C roads that are wide, smooth and much faster. No idea what T and TV roads are supposed to be.

In general, probably because of the EU funding MikeP mentioned above, the quality of roads there is streets ahead of here.

Where are you heading, David?

Long straight ones. ;)

Seriously, it was all motorway. Calais - Bordeux - Santander - then diagonally through to Lisbon. It was a work trip to the tolls were factored into the overall costs that I billed to the client. Which included 5 days in the Picos on the way back. :D

Throwing in a spanner

Hi
A roads are tollways, Autopistas, but can also be designated with an E. For example Barcelona to France is A7,E15
Now, the trick is to stay on the A routes as the E will sometimes be a different road with no toll. I know its hard but I have been going to Spain for 30 Years and still stuff it up sometimes.
If I am riding I stick with the N roads and enjoy the scenery, villages and winding slow roads.
Safe Riding
Clive S

As all others said, E roads and A roads are motorways. AP roads are toll motorways. This means that if you get to a junction and sign says, e.g.: Marbella AP-7 and Marbella A-7, that means that one is paying and the other is Free of charge.

When you see a raod like MA357, it´s a "provincial" road. (MA = Malalga or AS= Asturias). You may also found for isnt. in Asturias a road called LE-1, this is a a small road or path, that belongs to the local council ( Municipal), in this case, Concejo de Lena in Asturias. (To see those roads in MapSource you need to go to a very very close sacle, like 300 meters.).

In the REGION of Castilla-Leon, all main normal roads are C (=Castilla Leon) in Extremadrua Region: Ex, in Andalucia: A, But if in Málaga, that belongs to Andalcuia, you take a road named Ma-123, it´s a provincial road, normaly doble carriage.

So after all this story, if you wanna go fast: AP, A and E.

Have a nice drive..;)

As all others said, E roads and A roads are motorways. AP roads are toll motorways. This means that if you get to a junction and sign says, e.g.: Marbella AP-7 and Marbella A-7, that means that one is paying and the other is Free of charge.

When you see a raod like MA357, it´s a "provincial" road. (MA = Malalga or AS= Asturias). You may also found for isnt. in Asturias a road called LE-1, this is a a small road or path, that belongs to the local council ( Municipal), in this case, Concejo de Lena in Asturias. (To see those roads in MapSource you need to go to a very very close sacle, like 300 meters.).

In the REGION of Castilla-Leon, all main normal roads are C (=Castilla Leon) in Extremadrua Region: Ex, in Andalucia: A, But if in Málaga, that belongs to Andalcuia, you take a road named Ma-123, it´s a provincial road, normaly doble carriage.

So after all this story, if you wanna go fast: AP, A and E.

Have a nice drive..;)

A really useful post. Thanks, Julio!

There has to be a better system. Now I'll have to find out why the roads in Catalunya I had great fun on a few years ago had the prefix T and TV (eg the TV 7041 to Capafonts).

Tv, are Tarragona local/provincial roads. In Gieron =GIv. I think it meas Girona Vecinal ( almost means Neighborhood) or Lv is Lleida (or Lerida in Spanish).

This is the simple result of the Spanish Federation of different states to allowd politiciasn to leave on uns, the tax payers. More the reach to divide, more friends at work at the "Big Brother State company". This brings us to the funny fact that some roads does belong to the State, some to the regional gvnmts and some to the province, and soem to the town hall. So each one of them is due to keep them in good state of use...

We are a funny country..:augie

Back
Top Bottom