Mapsource Master class needed.

zei220

Hello,
Is there anyone in the south cheshire area who could give me a master class in how to use the mapsource software? I'm having a hell of a job planning a route from Spain to Caen using certain roads i want to ride. It is so much easier in autoroute, is it possible to plan in autoroute and save the file for use in 2720?

Please help, thanks you.

Dave

Dave

Stick with it mate. It's pretty similar to autoroute once you gett eh hang of it. Use via points etc. and you can tailor a route to just how you want it.

I tend to plan all my routes on the PC, staying away from motorways as much as possible and then download them to my Quest.

The FOC-u site has a good thread about Quest useage which may help, or not!

http://p196.ezboard.com/ffazerownersfrm31.showMessage?topicID=180.topic

Andy T

Tip 1 - Don't try one single route from Caen to Spain. Split it into a days travel, or morning / afternoon.

Tip 2 - If there's a specific road you want to go along, look for POI's that are on it (like petrol stations) and make them into "waypoints". Then it's easy using the "selection tool" to amend the route between the start / finish points.

Tip 3 - Make the start and finish points also "waypoints". That way if it alls turns to worms and you want to go a different way just simply "find", "waypoints" and the "route to it".

HTH

Tip 4 - Don’t put waypoints, via points bang on junctions or turns.

Tip 5 - Zoom in close when placing via’s or waypoints on motorways and duel carriageways as a click on the wrong side of the road will make a right mess of it, and if your routing in Europe, don’t forget it’s the other side of the road! (duel carriageways)

Tweak your routing preferences {edit, preferences, routing tab} to suit your preferences. Vehicle (Car/motorcycle, bicycle,...), try to avoid, road selection (continuum of prefer minor to major roads), etc.

I also quite often set it to "truck", this appears to take you around cities and towns as opposed to straight through them. I find this saves me time in the plotting of the route as I'd do this anyway.

I agree with the taking care of where you put your via points, we spent 1/2 an hour this year riding around Tobermory as the Quest attempted to get us "back to the via point" I'd foolishly put in the centre of the town, but never actually made it to it as we'd stopped and were ready to continue. Now I stick them on roads in and out of where I want to go.

I quite often just put in the two places I want to travel between, and then adjust with the selection tool. It just gets easier with practice I've founs.

Andy T

Thanks for the replies so far, can I ask how you use the selection tool to adjust the route? can you pull the route from one road to use another?

Thanks

Dragging the route onto the roads you want to go is easy, but be careful if you do lots of it, if you get them out of sync or in the wrong place you'll end up going round in circles (similar to Eastriding's visit toTobermory above).

Don't forget to turn off auto recalculate if you've made lots of amendments by dragging routes, if you stray off-route with autorecalculate 'on' , the unit will do just that and bang goes your customised route.

The 'route a day' method (or am/pm routes each day) is good advice, that's what I always do. Also, unless you can absolutely guarantee that you won't play around with the unit whilst away, I'd recommend duplicating the pre-planned routes too (or at least making a copy in the unit before 'playing'). I had a mega-customised route around the coastline of Normandy/ Brittany and playing around one night I screwed it up. No Mapsource to download a copy, so that was that day's route screwed.

One other thing (only applies to Quest or other portable units), if you stop somewhere and decide to take it for pedestrian navigation, don't forget to set it back to 'car/motorcycle' later. I didn't, and until I realised what I'd done, my Q1 kept trying to send me the wrong way around roundabouts.

ST4S

I've looked in the manual but can't find how you select the route (whether the route should yellow or magenta) and how you drag it to the road you want to use.
The route i have put together, in the correct order, is shown on the map as going all over France, a trip of 1100 miles is shown as 2834 miles. It's going to places not even in the route list.

Any help gratefully recieved.

Dave

zei220 said:
I've looked in the manual but can't find how you select the route (whether the route should yellow or magenta) and how you drag it to the road you want to use.

Using the select tool (the white arrow) click once on the route, releasing the mouse button, and two straight black lines will appear. Move the mouse to your "via" point and click again.

The route should then recalculate using your via point.

Back
Top Bottom