The Tobinator: Cheap buffeting reducer

Tobers

Reaction score
I made this for my own bike, and it worked so well I put up a couple of posts about it. Lots of demand resulted so I thought I might as well see if I could sell it.

I'm now selling several every day in the UK and USA.

DSC01224a.JPG

Here's my little web site for more information and ordering:

http://www.geocities.com/tobers2000/TobersR1150GSSite.html

Cheers

Tobers

Euroland

I've now got myself set up to take payments in Euro's as well as US$ and UK£.

Click on the Euro "buy now" button on my site to buy one.

Whilst I am all for innovation and I wish you a lot of luck for your entrepeneurship I find 37 quid for 4 bits of aluminium and some screws and washers a bit excessive. Maybe I am not seeing something from the pics but then perhaps others are also not seeing something too.... is there more to this than the aluminium extenders ? I have an 1100 anyway so sorry I won't be buying anyway but I am curious.

Sounds interesting. Might avoid me buying the GSA screen. Since I am mechanically challenged (I moved the two screens between my 2 GSs and was left with one screw two many...) how difficult is it to install it? From what I see from the photos it looks simple, but the only two tools I have is a hammer and a screwdriver (oh yes, and anotehr tool, but I don't know what it is ...).

Will it work for tall folks ?? My problem is my height is too tall for the standard GS screen....

Pricing, installation etc.

Gecko - Fair point re. the price. Here's the explanation:

At the moment, I'm making a loss on each one. I'm only doing this for the enjoyment and fame. You can always buy another screen for £200 or whatever (just a piece of plastic right?).

The kits are CNC machined from billet ally. Studs are added manually and loctited in. Tolerances are v.fine, and exactly fit the mounting points on the GS. Bolts and washers are zinc (not from B&Q!!). If you count the costs of raw materials, labour, use of the CNC machine which could be doing more profitable things etc. then you get £35 a set. Add £2 postage & packing (feel free to check the recorded delivery price for 220g, plus the cost of a nice jiffy bag), and you get £37.

If you buy off the website using the PayPal facility, there's a charge of about £2 which comes off the £37 - I'm paying that for you.

If you want to make your own, feel free. I did - made my first one from plastic strips but it looked shite. I haven't patented it or anything, you can see the designs from the web site. If you do make your own, you'll see its not as simple as you might think.

And if you dont want one, that's fine by me.

Mike - to install you need three tools - a 4mm allen key, a star/torx key (in your GS toolkit) and a 10mm socket. Install takes 15 mins. If you email me at tobers2000@yahoo.co.uk I'll send you the install instructions. If you live near Guildford then pop over and I'll fit it for you.

Cheers all.

Tobers

Re: Pricing, installation etc.

Tobers said:
The kits are CNC machined from billet ally.
Tobers

Tobers,

I've talked to the old tosser BAKES, who's going to offer round the BB some strips out of his old Meccano set at 25 quid a pair (with free donut).

BAKES says "U'll be otu of biznis bi the nd of teh deccaid"

:D

Greg

Well has i've just dropped my GS against the garage door and smashed my MRA 37 quid seems like a less painfull replacemnet option...

Tobers... what's it like at 95 -105 mph

Mine should be dropping through the front door today or tomorrow and I will try them on the std screen and Givi and post an unbiased opinion, I want to put the standard screen back on if possible, these things are the great white hope.

Roger

I look forward to any 'feedback' on the BB from Club members who've got this mod.

105mph+

Hi Wreford,

I do 90+ every day on my trip from Guildford up to Hammersmith with no probs. Top speed so far (on a test track of course) is 115. Its windy of course, but little buffeting, more like smoothish airflow.

You do still get some buffeting when you are in the "dirty air" behind a car, but there's not much I can do about that unfortunately!

I too am awaiting the unbiased reviews....

I reckon Bakerman's meccano might just work but it's likely to be a bit floppy. Perhaps he could use the meccanno to reinforce some sort of shortbread or gingerbread version, perhaps with colour coordinated smarties on the outside.

If anyone is around Guildford way, I'm happy for you to pop over and have one fitted, then go for a test ride up the A3. If you like it, you can buy it. If you dont then at least we'll have had a nice chat. Email me at tobers2000@yahoo.co.uk if you want to take me up on that offer...

Cheers

Tobers

Tobinator guinea pig

..............they were with me yesterday by recorded delivery! Beautifully finished, very light and well hard! Came complete with full instructions which were a doddle to understand. I found the tolerances spot on and it was very easy to fit. Tools from my underseat tool kit used to fit them.
I like my screen well canted back so positioned the arms all the way back with screen in top of the slot position.
Tested up to 110 and found the air whipped up and over the top of my lid reducing buffeting to my helmet and giving me clearer vision! I am going to try the screen in different positions [I find the good thing is there are umpteen positions you can choose due to the arms AND the screen are able to be set in different positions independently of each other.
So far so good ;) .......................I will come back with more as i find different settings [ Rain, 2 up, long distance].

:shoot: I have spent the day playing with the Mk1 Torbinators and tried them with the Std and Givi Screens and when set up they work wonderfully, With the Std Screen the airflow was smoth at 3266.666 yds/minute + even wearing my Roof Diversion which was so noisy at anything near illegal speed that I had given up on it.

A few small observations are:-

1. If there was a boss on the rear part the "Wunderlich" thumscrews could still be used.

2. A slot instead of the hole would have been great

3. Matt Black would have made them less intrusive

As to points 2 & 3 they have become fact (MkII) as the Mk1 dropped through the door so as usual I am behind the times and out of fashion.

THE THINGS WORK THOUGH. I am in Preston so if anyone wants to see them or try them drop me a PM

Cheers nice one Tobers

Roger

I got mine posted to my hotel in Douglas when I went to the TT so I fitted them after I arrived.

They have certainly made a vast improvement on the buffeting and have raised the airflow above my helmet so I no longer get the blurring of vision I used to get at around 80mph+. Very useful as I was doing this quite a lot over the last week. :D Wind noise is still there, but earplugs are best worn anyway.

I prefer the shape of the original screen to any of the others I have seen so I'm v pleased with it. I like the idea of spraying them matt black so they blend in better, though. The fact that you also retain the original screens adjustability is also a plus point.

Definitely recommended.

Tobers,

I'm happy to have a set of your MkII Bonce-flow-Inhibitors for £37!

Unfortunately for reasons too dull to explain can I go 'the cheque in the post route' with you if you send me a pm?

I shall have to go to FAQ for info on reading PMs.

Cheers timmy

Gecko said:
Whilst I am all for innovation and I wish you a lot of luck for your entrepeneurship I find 37 quid for 4 bits of aluminium and some screws and washers a bit excessive. Maybe I am not seeing something from the pics but then perhaps others are also not seeing something too.... is there more to this than the aluminium extenders ? I have an 1100 anyway so sorry I won't be buying anyway but I am curious.

Whilst 37 quid may be a lot for the actual lumps of metal, surely the bloke is entitled to add a margin for the "intellectual property"?

It's hardly an original concept. Isotonic drinks? Vitamin pills? Wonderbra? Anything by Microsoft? BMW motorcycles? . . . . . . .

Back
Top Bottom