Nonfango Topbox

tonyw

Reaction score
I've just got an R1150gs. I picked it up 10 days ago and I'm really pleased with it and looking forward to finishing the running-in ready for a couple of trips abroad later this year. I bought the BMW panniers although I had a complete set of Nonfango panniers/topbox.

My plan is to fit the topbox to the BMW and I've already fixed the mounting plate directly to the rack. As you can see from the attached photos I've removed the grab handle and used the bolts to fix the front of the plate. I've also used a fairly neat U bolt and a not so neat drilled piece to fix the mid section of the mounting plate. (The BMW rack has conveniently situated slots as you will know.)The top box then just slides onto the clips and locks down.

I would appreciate any comments on this fixing in terms of loading the top box and the strength of the original luggage rack. The handbook says that the luggage rack should be limited to 5kg. Do you think that I can afford to exceed this limit?

Attachments

• dscf0014.jpg
    dscf0014.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 718
I don't seem to have managed to get the pictures to work properly but you probably get the idea from my description

In my opinion the strength of the original luggage rack is limited for legal purposes. Honestly I don't know how much you can load it safely, maybe some experienced adventurers will help you more in this matter, but, back to the "5Kg." statement, it's only because they don't want to be considered responsible if you lose it in a motorway causing a big truck loaded with TNT impact a primary school during a visit of the Queen...:eek:

Tony,

I've always been averse to putting much weight in a top box. Just stand to one side of your bike and look where the weight is acting - hardly the ideal place for stability....
On my Pan (sorry Tim ), I used to store my waterproofs and lightweight stuff in the box and then use it to store my helmet when off the bike. If you overload it, you will definitely affect the handling.
In contrast to dfulgosi's post, I've read several reports (ADVrider site) of the luggage rack breaking - I've fitted a Wunderlich rack strengthener (I may have just made that word up) to counter this - can't post a pic of it at the moment, but I'll try to do so later....

Mike

Managed to find this (not very good) picture on the Wunderlich site.

Mike:)

Attachments

• rack support.jpg
    rack support.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 658
Tread easy

I agree with MikeO in that the overhang of the box (pictured), is so long that it is quite obviously a weak point in design. I bought my adaptor plate from a chap whose rack had actually broken through overfilling his box. I tend to use it for bulky light items such as my waterproofs and spare gloves etc. Its also handy for putting your helmet in when you are stopped against lugging it around.

HAve Fun

AndyT:cool:

Attachments

• bmw_skye1.jpg
    bmw_skye1.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 698
Iv fitted Nonfango on to my 1150 as I have always used there stuff in the pastand been pleased with it plus it is much bigger than the bm stuff but i have used the proper fitting kit which means that the top box and panniers are all on a seperate frame fitted directly to the bike meaning you do away with the overhang problem and the waight is spread properly and I have used them for the last 2 weeks in spain FULLY LADEN with full success. sorry no photos.

I've non fango boxes from my VFR and am going to get the fitting kits. There about £40 for the side paniers and £50 for the topbox.

dont know how anyone can like those bulky, plasticky carbunkle-looking bmw panniers that hardly hold any kit.
The three box set of non fango add up to about 132 ltrs of space.

Picture of top box and mountings for panniers

Attachments

• nonfango.jpg
    nonfango.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 611
Any more picvs

Just curious but do you have anymore pics with the Box not fitted and showing the pannier rails and the topbox rack.!!

I have a full GiVi set up on my Transalp which I'm just about to sell and have been thinking of swapping my BMW panniers for my GiVis.

HAve Fun
AndyT:cool:

Nonfango luggage

I have just sold my blackbird and removed the nonfango set I had on that, I would like to refit it onto my 1150GS my question is what fittings do I require to fit on to the GS?, does the original back rack have to go?

Nonfango luggage

Beacon

I'll take some shots of the bike when we meet up this weekend and you can post them up next week - if you can remember how - must be your age!!!.

Thanks A Stoneman! As for Andy 2003 you still keep your bm rack but cant use it as the new frame goes over the top, you can re-use your top plate if you can get it off the arms! and your pannier rails are reusable, so you will need new top plate fixing arms(probably not the right term!) and the fixing kit for the pannier rails I cant remember the price all well made but one of the holes was missaligned and needed a bit of a file, works well on mine BUT if I was doing it again I,d bite the bullet and get some ally ones may be from Vern, they may even be able to fit on the top plate arms allowing you to still use the Nonfango top box

Nonfango importer is BICKERS on 01473 745131
part no,s are 6470042 and 6490042 price about £55

Thanks for the information. I ordered a Wunderlich rack support from SPC Motorcycles and fitted it yesterday. It goes on easily and neatly and looks like it should do the job it's designed for.

Back
Top Bottom