Busted clamp stud

unibar

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all

Right got a y piece today so figured several bolts should be no problem, WD40 the lot in the morning and give them a go tonight, well 1st one i meet and the bolt snaps, the one that goes onto the end can attached to the clamp and the shield.

Any suggestions on

1 how i get the bloody thing out of the clamp (the seperator bar seems pretty stuck there in the middle.

2 Where i can get a new bolt, and or anothe semi circular thing with a hole in so i can fit a normal bolt

I posted this elsewhere as well, sorry if i upset anyone, but i'm all stressed out now.

Thanks in advance

Paul

That lump of metal is forced onto a splined section of the bolt and is intended to be permanent- you will be able to remove it if you put it in a vise and clout it hard with a big hammer.

It is likely that BMW (Bite My Wallet) will sell you another bolt although knowing them it will come complete with the chrome guard and you will pay more than you need.

The cheap solution is to buy a standard M10 (I think) bolt of the right length and grind or hacksaw off either side of the fastener end so that it will sit in that curved depression in the clamp and resist turning as the bolt is torqued up. I'd probably recommend using a nice stainless set so that it won't seize again for a while.

Choice B is to replace the clamp/guard with a stainless clamp similar to that supplied with the y-piece - you can buy them at www.rswww.com. This will probably give you a better fit than the existing clamp which is wank.

Cheers mate, being a London boy I appreciate the last line of that, nice and to the point, I'll get heavy handed first the if all fails get another clamp.

Ta

Paul

Back
Top Bottom