Cambrian Rally - regulations available

Bob Jeffries

It's good to be back ..
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Regulations and entry formas are now available for the Cambrian Rally, a Trail Bike Rally in the forests around the Llyn Brianne Reservoir in Mid-Wales that is very suitable for GS's - I set the course on my 1150GSA.

Quite a few UKGS'ers have entered over the years, and many have done very well and won awards (there is even a special award for the best GS).

More details and entry forms are available at www.offroad-motorsport.com.

sugarcube

you must be reading the reg's , but for the last year or two there has been at least 2 KTM 950's ( Pat Keenan + Ben Shuckburgh ) so are you thinking of giving it a go

gunner

philgunn said:
you must be reading the reg's , but for the last year or two there has been at least 2 KTM 950's ( Pat Keenan + Ben Shuckburgh ) so are you thinking of giving it a go

gunner

yes. I am interested as I've never done anything like that before.

there will be 3 or 4 more going

from the cork area a couple of KTM's and my beemer
also going to the Dyfi Rally in north Wales on the 16/17 of Sept something similar
the Cambrian is the big one and gets the biggest entry or large twin cylinder trail bikes
keep asking questions and we will give the answers

I just hope bob is not looking

if you really want to start , forget about a road book and hook on to the back of someone else on a similar machine , the road book is only for the non timed sections "Liason" and concentrate on making the bike as light as poss, and if you can get the most nobby tyres you can find , you never do know about the Welsh rain , but bob does go out and lay out the track on the 1150
the timed tests are normally well defined and you only want to get a taster of what the gs can do ( you are on a GS ? )

Gunner

I'm entering, on a KTM 950 Adventure :)

Beyond fitting suitable tyres you don't really need to do anything to make the bike "rally ready", I would think. As Phil says, if you can make it any lighter that'd help but I can't see any easy ways to lose weight from the 950. A headlight protector might be useful, on previous rallies I've been hit (and the bike has) by rocks thrown up by the bike in front and they are going pretty fast. Some sort of protection for your paintwork might also be good, depends on how much you value the cosmetics of your bike :)

As far as tyres go, I'll probably just use TKC80s, but you can get much better offroad tyres for the KTM, as it has 21"/18" wheels. I've got a set of TKCs already though and can't really afford to buy yet more tyres :)

maybe if you sell the gs1200 wheels

you will be able to afford the michelin enduro tyres for a blast
hod did you fare out with the gs in the end

Gunner

philgunn said:
...the timed tests are normally well defined and you only want to get a taster of what the gs can do ( you are on a GS ? )

Gunner

I'm not on the GS anymore. I traded it in for the KTM 950 S. This all sounds real interesting and especially the fact that it is open to the inexperienced riders. Is there a deadline for entering or a "first come first served" policy in place. If it's the latter, how long roughly would I have left before I could commit? The reason I ask is that my wife is due to give birth soon and I want to ensure everything is OK on that front first of course.

Hi Sugarcube

As you've already found out there'll be plenty of help and advice freely given. We try and do all we can to encourage "Big Trail Bikes" at the Cambrian and the KTM 950/990's are almost as popular as the GS's.

As to your entry - you can send an entry in with a note attached explaining that you may have to drop out due to your imminent fatherhood and to hold the cheque until you give the all clear - if you do have to drop out just send me an email and I'll get the cheque destroyed.

As for the road book - what tends to happen is that a group get together and one leads the way - there's no penalies in the "liaison" sections and the timed stages are marked with big dayglo arrows so you don't have a road book for them.

If you do want to use the road book there is absolutly no need for anything fancy - a clear plastic bag taped to the handlebars will do almost as well as an electrically powered jobby from TT. All you need to be able to do is read the diagrams as you ride allong, you have plenty of time to stop and turn the pages over.

Don't forget to bring a camera, you'll have plenty of time to take some pictures of the stunning scenery along the course which is all in the forests around the Llyn Brianne Reservoir, including riding accross the dam wall and along the gravel roads around the edge of the reservoir.

Something I found fom the Ryedale Rally :D

One down side of the KTMs is that they seem to be harder to pick up than the BMW ... but it helps if you swear at it in a stereotypical Irish fashion ... ya fecker :D

P1010053.JPG

See you there again. HP2 question?

Hello all,

I will be thre again to see if I can defend my title from last year. Yes on a GS 1150

Best overall in 1100 ccand over class. Had a blast.

Question, what class will the HP2 BMW be in? if up against them then I've not a chance!

Still will go for it but would like to see them in own class!

All the best

Bushboy

Bob, any chance that next year you could avoid a clash with Weston beach race as I'll be a bit busy hanging onto our sidecar that day!
To anyone in two minds about doing the Cambrian, JUST DO IT, You will have a cracking weekend.

bushboy said:
Hello all,

I will be thre again to see if I can defend my title from last year. Yes on a GS 1150

Best overall in 1100 ccand over class.

Bushboy

You'll not be best in any class if you forget to switch your ABS off again.

Ho ho!

Simon

out to play

sorebum

are you allowed out to play these days ,
of is the changing of nappies keeping you in

Gunner

Yo Casey!

bushboy said:
Hello all,

Best overall in 1100 ccand over class. Had a blast.

Question, what class will the HP2 BMW be in? if up against them then I've not a chance!

Still will go for it but would like to see them in own class!

All the best

Bushboy

:D I'll give you a run on my Pogo :D
that will still run rings around anything remotely orange!!!

Back
Top Bottom