Morocco 2007

bladerunner

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Info welcome:

Next September I reach the big 5-O and am keen to extend my midlife crisis - God it's fun , you should try it!!!!.

Intention is to take Portsmouth - Bilbao ferry Sat through Mon am, then down to Med, across to Cuerta by Wed night. Cross to Morocco Thursday am. That leave 2 days Cuerta to Marrakesh Friday evening. Stay with the laaaaydies (who will fly to hotel) 4 days, then reverse above back to catch ferry back.

Question
The streetpilot will not route for morocco, but gives Cuerta to Marrakesh as 500km as the crow (?vulture) flies. Is 2 days realistic?
Anyone have any suitable/nice places to stay overnight half way. We may well camp, but then again.

cheers y'all
Simon

P.S.
Had great summer so far:
1 week down to Route Napoleon, Gorges Du Verdon, back Route Grandes alpes in 30+'c
1 week across to Stockholm and back, 30+'c
2 weeks French Pyrenees (Down one hit, back one hit - 900km in french holiday traffic not recommended).

11,000 miles so far since Jan, and enjoying each and every on the GSA - a surprisingly competent tourer.

Cueta to Marra in a day is no problem at all......the roads are fast, or fast and twisty, depending on which way you go.

If you push it, you could be in Morocco on the Tuesday Morning.

We made Marbella on the first day off the ferry & crossed the border into morocco at 10:00 on the second. Will give you a bit of time to explore before you hit Marra.

I'm looking at ferries for next May 2007 now. 11th to Bilboa & 28th back to portsmouth is looking favourite., cant wait

Baz

if your on the 10 clock ferry ( same time as the "on the run tour" we did back in april). You'll be getting to marrakesh very very late in the day.

Look HERE at the daily mileage to give you an idea .

Ceuta to Marrakech in two days is ample time. Most people would overnight in Fes but in my mind that's a bad choice unless you're planning to spend some time in Fes looking around. Instead aim for Azrou which is a friendly little town.

Personally instead of Algeciras to Ceuta, I would use the Tarifa to Tanger crossing, then use the motorway out of Tanger to Larache. It's an easier border crossing and you miss the boring bits.

Check out the GS Moroccan knowledgebase for more info.

Tim

Ceuta to Marrakesh (or Fez) in one day is indeed possible, as is Portsmouth to the Lake Distict for any foreign bike tourist.
Question is, do you want to see the places, meet the people?
There is a fast road between Cueta & Fez, there is also a lifetime of opportunity!

I'ed give it two days to do Ceuta to Marrakech and take in the atmosphere, as trying to do it in one day will mean having to hustle along, we did Ceuta to Erfoud in a day a couple of years ago but all it was, was a fast ride and not really a view of Morocco. It can be done but do you want to do it? If you do split it into two then Meknes is another good option for an overnight stop.

Cheers guys
Keep the info comming, I'll get working on the maps.
Anyone know of any Garmin software that will route for Morocco?
We generally plan for 350 miles - ish days. I can do 700 mile days but above that it stops being a holiday. I was VERY impressed with the 1150 GSA for long distance - I do not get aches or cramps, just very long days get too mentally tiring, and I gather Morocco is no place to ride tired.
I am guessing that late September the weather should be just perfick.

My mate will be on a R1100RT (I sold it him) and I have assured him he will not be disadvantaged :mmmm

bladerunner said:
Anyone know of any Garmin software that will route for Morocco?

No. But "tracks 4 Africa" (google it) has a garm,in map for that end - download the free demo version and try it ... has the 'tracks .. not many .. no city detail .. but it is free and gives you the basics.. better than garmins "world map"

Think about taking the Plymouth/Santander ferry instead of Portsmouth/Bilbao.

You're stuck on the Portsmouth boat for 48hrs, ie leave in the afternoon, a whole day on the boat, then arrive next morning.

Plymouth goes overnight.............save yourself an extra day for Spain/Morocco.

I agree re Plymouth Santander, but my co-riders will be from London so it is an extra few hours for them. From Cardiff its 'alf an' 'alf which one I go on.

I have been twice on the P&O and enjoyed the trip - you get into Bilbao at 11.oo which is a useful time.

I returned Caen Portsmouth 2 weeks ago by Brittany because for some reason P&O have stopped Portsmouth/Le havre. Must say I preferred P&O to Brittany for that crossing.

I can get the Brittany times for Sandander now but P&O's are not out yet(for Sep 2007).

It looks like with Brittany we shall have 2 days to get through Spain, 2 days through Marocco, 4 days in Marrakesh then 3-4 days back Marocco, 3 days back Spain up to ferry (only goes Thursdays - too early, or Monday - will involve 2 weeks and 2 days off work - well DAMN!!!).

Either way it is looking good and I think I have the route sorted.

Simon

bladerunner said:
I agree re Plymouth Santander, but my co-riders will be from London so it is an extra few hours for them. From Cardiff its 'alf an' 'alf which one I go on.

I'm in london :D

And having done both, I'd still use the plymouth service.

The ride isn't that much further - take off the Portsmouth mileage & time.

They can either bomb down the M4/m5 or go the scenic route via Stonehenge...

Anyways, your choice :thumb

altho you may be glad of the "extra" day as a just in case...............

hi
I would use Brittany ferry from Plymouth I have used both and there is no comparison Brittany is fast modern while P&O is slow and old any saving on price is used up on food and drink as P&O takes two days

Ok here's the plan! I would welcome your thoughts.

I have booked Brittany ferries Plymouth out Sept 16th
arrive Santander Monday 17th
Overnight somewhere south of Madrid ? Toledo, ?Amagro
Catch ferry tuesday eve to overnight Cuerta
Wedneday overnight Meknes Advice seeems strongly to avoid N2 R509, N8 route via Ketama despite inviting green edged road.

Thursday ? to Casablanca ( is this sensible/pleasant)
4 nights Marrakech for big 5-0

Then we have time for enjoyable loop south
So Tuesday 25th Ouarzazate
Wednesday Erfoud
Thursday Fez
Friday either Cuerta or overnight south Spain
Saturday Zafra
Sunday Leon

Monday catch ferry back to arrive tired/tanned and pissed off with UK Autumn!!!

Does this sound OK? Are there any obvious must sees sort of along this route? Have I made an obvious faux pas - do please tell!
Would an RT1100 cope? My GSA should be OK.
Anyone else planning a trip then? Anyone going to be on that ferry? - as always the first drinks are on me!!!

cheers

Simon

Back
Top Bottom