London to Istanbul... Early Jul 03

L

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having looked at flights etc. I'm sorely tempted by a bike ride to Istanbul /Bodrum for the summer hols, meeting up with wifey who'd fly.

Anyone got any recommendations/advice etc. ? Chances are, I'd be on my own...

Anyone else doing the same/similar route?

Cheers

L

can't give any advice yet as i'm still in planning stage myself, but as a word of encouragement, i'm overlanding to istanbul in september as well!

this site is a weblog of a couple who passed through turkey on a RTW trip, and you might find the diary intersting to read.

pr0ne

Prone,

I'm in the planning stages of that one myself, unfortunately just for a quick round trip to Istanbul. Thinking early September, I'd be very interested to hear your route. Who knows maybe we could do this leg of your trip together.

hi dennis - i'm not totally sure what my plans are yet - but i'm vaguely thinking france - italy - ferry to greece - turkey and istanbul. maybe we could hook-up somewhere en-route? also, Ellis is also on the road around that time....

pr0ne

I'm back!!!

Got back on Friday morning and will eventually write up some sort of report but here's the nutshell...

Chesham to Ancona in Italy - 1100 miles. Set off at 4:30 am, arrived at 9:00pm. Long day. Arms felt weird afterwards!!

Next day, 15 hour ferry to Igoumentisa

Next day Igoumentisa to Istanbul - c.700miles . Set off at 7:00am, arrived at 10pm (got lost in Thessalonika).

Temperatures in the early 30's, though Italy was noticeably hotter. Otherwise absoluetly fine.

On the way back
Spent 2.5 days going through Greece. Some fantastic roads and great people. Temps around 30-35 so fine.

Spent a few days in Europe. Italy was stupid hot (40+ min) so headed straight for the Alps; Great roads (but not as fun as Greece believe it or not). 40 degrees at 8pm in France, so I'd hate to think how hot it was during the day when I was riding!!

Great experience. Remarkably straight forward and easy to do. My packing list comprised:
2 pairs shorts,
4 T-shirts, socks and pants
Wash Bag with the usual stuff in
Insulation Tape and Leatherman (just in case)
Ipod
Streetpilot 3 Deluxe
Paperwork.
I wore Jeans (I know, I know) Joe Rocket Mesh Jacket, BMW Summer Gloves, Alpinstars street boots (motorcyle approved) and Arai Tour X.

Overall Comments:
GPS - EXCELLENT, even in Greece and Turkey where you have to rely on the basemap.
WEATHER - okay, but excessively hot in Europe on the way back
Tour X - Great up to 70mph. After which its a chore on long journeys (noisey).
IpoD. Great, but a pain when the charge runs out and you haven't got anywhere to recharge it.
Joe Rocket Jacket - Superb
Adventure Bike - very reliable, no probs (drank the oil in the mountains though) (one glitch with the panniers)
1000+ miles in a day - Hardwork.
1700+ miles 2 days - doable, but still hard work. Hands hurt for a few days afterwards!!!!

hey ellis well done!

my trip has been delayed now due to a u-turning minicab driver writing my gs off for me :), but i'm looking forward to reading your trip report...

good work sir!

pr0ne

Great to listen in, for now!

I've got a wedding to attend in Cyprus (Greek part) next May, so (if I can get the time off) may well follow a similar route to Greece and then ferry it.

Did you consider going through the Balkans instead of the ferry to Greece?

KP

definitely considered the Balkan route, but decided not to - Everyone I spoke to said the Bulgarians were a bunch of thieving cowboys (not my words so please don't take offence any Bulagrian readers out there). I think it'd be ok if there were a couple of you but on yer own....

Balkan route

I went the through the Balkans and it was a good ride, did not end the way I would wish. I will do it again but spend more time in Albania next time.
The Croatain coast route can be murder between July and August because of heavy holiday traffic and the heat.
I wrote a trip report although I was not GS mounted you may find the write up worth a look.
http://sada.users.btopenworld.com/bmw/greece.htm

Steve

Ellis,
Sounds like a great ride. I'm looking to take a similar route in late October, did you have any problems going from Greece into Turkey and if so how did you get round them.

Also what was the cost of the ferry, presumably from Brindisi ?

Dennis

Greece and Turkey are surprisingly easy - no problems at all.
However, make sure you book the Italy-Greece crossing in advance (you'll probably be OK in October. If you don't like camping, invest in the cabin. (I went from Ancona).
Costs were approx £90 for the bike and deck space (i.e. camping) v. £240 for a cabin to yourself, or £140 for a dorm. Try a search for "Superfast Ferries" and you'll get all the pricing etc. etc.

Turkish/Greek border is a piece of cake, though can be long winded if you don't know where you're going. Don't hang around in the queues though, drive straight though, park up the bike and then walk everywhere. You need to go to the big office first for a visa (£10), get it stamped in the first "box", then get a form from the the second "box" stamped etc., then pay 20 euros or so at the third "box" (you need to show your papers at this box). Then at the final exit, you show the various print outs etc. and you're on your way. There were hundred of cars/people in the queues, but no one really has any sense of orderly queuing, so just get stuck in!!!

There are some great roads in Greece. If you're down south, we can meet up some time and I'll recommend some places. Turkish roads aren't in the same condition as the Greek roads, but fun all the same. There are alot more lorries at low speed, so you'lll be practising your filtering and overtaking manouvres for sure!!

I'm in North London, so if you fancy meeting up before hand, give me a shout. I've got the maps etc. which will help to talk through the route and options.

L

Thanks for all that Ellis.very usefull info. I'd love to meet up, but don't know if time is going to allow.

Are you going to Princetown 26/28 Sept as I will be there camping along with SWMBO, if so I'd be very gratefull for any info you could bring along.

The only other window iat present s possibly 7/8 Oct when I am due in Essex for a school reunion....39years on....scary or what?:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom