Tour of Scotland Too Part 2

Shaggy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Day 8 –18/8/06 – 156 miles- Sunny :) – Cont.
From Ardnamrchin we rejoined the A861, at Salen, before heading north to the A830 and west to Mallaig. By this time my damaged hand was starting to give me some real problems so a hotel was decided on for the night. With no room at Mallaig we retraced our steps, at a pace, running with two Germans on new Triumph Speed Triples. Eventually staying the night at the Nevis Bank in Fort William.
Day 9 –19/8/06 – 151 miles. – Sunny
Following a visit to hospital, to have my burns redressed, we split from Baggy who had to head home and rode the A82, in the company of a Fazer 1000, through Spean Bridge to Invergarry. Here we picked up the A87 past Loch Garry

Loch Garry from A87 View Point

Attachments

• LochGarry18.jpg
    LochGarry18.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 435
And through to the Kyle of Lochalsh. I quick ride over the new bridge ( as in the past I’ve always used the ferry) to Skye and then we headed to Plockton ( setting for both The Wicker Man and Hamish MacBeth ) for lunch before the road led to Stromeferry . Then it was Lochcarron and the Pass of the Cattle.
This was negotiated with some gusto following an 1150GSA and a 1200GS. We passed down to Applecross Bay.

Applecross Bay

Attachments

• ApplecrossBay23.jpg
    ApplecrossBay23.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 435
After dumping our gear at the campsite, we returned for a couple of fun rides over the pass.

Attachments

• View Raasay20.jpg
    View Raasay20.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 433
Views of Skye, Raasay, Scalpay, its like the top of the world :thumb

Attachments

• View Rassay21.jpg
    View Rassay21.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 425
The day ended with a session in the Applecross Hotel, ( best sea food anywhere, inc New Zealand !!! ) followed by a great dance in the village hall to celebrate the village Fishing Festival.

Day 10 – 20/8/06 – 124 miles- Cloudy but dry ;)
Waking with a shocking hangover, we followed the coast to Shieldag before rejoining the A896 to Torridon and on to Kinlochewe. From here the A832 takes us north along Loch Maree to Gairloch.

View over Gairloch

Attachments

• Gairloch23.jpg
    Gairloch23.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 425
From here its on to Poolewe, passing the anthrax island of Gruinard before joining the A835 to Ullapool, the last 35 miles riding with no bars on the gauge and a very bright fuel light.We camped at Broomhead campsite.

Camp at Ullapool with Lewis Ferry

Attachments

• UllapoolCamp23.jpg
    UllapoolCamp23.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 424
Before a pint of prawns and Guiness at The Seaforth

Attachments

• Prawns25.jpg
    Prawns25.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 419
Followed by a walk past the harbour and a further gallon at the Ferryboat.

Ullapool Harbour

Attachments

• UllapoolHarbour24.jpg
    UllapoolHarbour24.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 417
Day 11 –21/8/06 – 96 miles – Drizzle :(

We decide to stay another night at Ullapool and had a ride out to Achiltibuie, before returning for another session in the Ferryboat.

Anchors at Achiltibuie overlooking Bardentarbet Bay

Attachments

• BadentarbatBayAnchors26.jpg
    BadentarbatBayAnchors26.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 414
Day 12 –22/8/06 – 100 miles – Sunny :)

Following the A835 then the A837 to Ardvreck Castle

Attachments

• ArdveckCastle29.jpg
    ArdveckCastle29.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 416
From here we continued to Lochinver before taking the coastal road ( where we passed the crashed car that Yodagoat had photographed )

Assynt Road

Attachments

• Assynt Roads33.jpg
    Assynt Roads33.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 411
At Unapool we joined the A894 to the A838 and up to Durness.

End of part 2, I will post the north and trip home as soon as time allows

Attachments

• DurnessCamp35.jpg
    DurnessCamp35.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 275
Great report Jon :thumb
Now looking at my off-duty to sort out when I can make another trip to Applecross :D

Back
Top Bottom