Wheel dismantling

tonys

:nenau HELP! I'm trying to strip my wheels to get the rims reanodised, front came apart relatively easily (probably cos it's only a couple of months old, warranty issue) got all the nipples off the rear fine, but the spokes are absolutely solid where they pass through the rim! Tried WD40, soaking in petrol, hitting with big stick, and all I've achieved is a couple of bent spokes! I'm guessing it's stainless v alloy corrosion, heat next I suppose, followed by cutting the spokes off close to the rim and hoping they'll then knock out. Any other suggestions gratefully received. Any idea how much a new rim is?

Thats why the Devon Rim Company charge £40 to dismantle your wheels .

Until you've tried it yourself, you've no idea what a good price that is.

Sorry, no magic trick on getting the nipples out of the rims -

I use a mole grip clamped onto the spoke near the nipple, and hit the mole grip. Sometimes comes straight out, othertimes needs lots of encouragement :(

I hope you've got someone lined up who knows what they are doing when it comes to rebuilding them ? :eek:

Yes, got someone lined up who rebuilds wheels for the local BM dealer, so he knows what he's doing! Just need to get the bloody things apart! Just ordered a set of spokes from Motorworks, so I can use full brute force and ignorance!
Steptoe, I can't even get the bloody things far enough out of the rim to get mole grips on the end!

tonys said:
Steptoe, I can't even get the bloody things far enough out of the rim to get mole grips on the end!

No - you cut the spokes off near the rim, and clamp the mole grip onto the piece of spoke, then hit the mole grip so the nipple comes out of the rim.

Tried that, mole wrench just skates up the stump of spoke and threatens to twat the rim! 'gentle' tapping on the end of the stump has freed a few far enough out to get the molies on the nipple, but they won't come any further!
Gonna make up a slotted 10mm steel plate tomorrow so I can get a better 'pulling' hit on the ends. Will a bit of heat on the rim do any harm?

Thats what happens when you use cheap mole grips - :D

My snap-on vice grips do the job :thumb

Have to admit, I thought mole grips were all basically the same, have to look out for some decent ones!

BTW, can anyone tell me the diameter of the GS spokes please, got to make up a 'tool' for pulling them out in work today and forgot to bring a pattern in. I'm guessing at 4mm?

Theres mole grips and theres mole grips mate........IMO....you get what you pay for with a tool like these... :thumb

Back
Top Bottom