f.a.o noddy. your old g/s

steveo

Reaction score
f.a.o noddy and anybody whos interested!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well the pics worked! [see noddys old g/s thread] so i will give some info on the bike
first registerd 12/80, i bought it in april 2004, it had no oil in the forks or rear damper, virtualy no front brake the fork brace was missing and a hand painted frame in blue gloss! motor started and ran fine tho so i made him an offer,he wanted £750 but i managed to beat him down and rode it away[just!] for £400
luckly i only live down the road.
over the next two years i stripped everything except the motor, frame and all other steel parts were stoved in gloss black, recon driveshaft as one u.j had movement. wheels were rebuilt with stainless spokes by steve at wheelwise in cowfold,when the rear hub was blasted cracks were spotted(only visible from inside) arround all three stud holes. overtightend at some point? none second hand so a new one was found for £180.
after all that things got a bit cheaper!
seat to match 100gs tank that was already on there.
hagon shok (i no , i no. but but i was running out of dosh).
side stand on the " wrong " side as it was developed(?) from another.
forkbrace modified from an f650 item.
exhaust downpipes r80, aftermarket silencers(loud!).
loads of other bits and bobs.rewired by a mate etc. etc.
first bike ive ever striped right down and i love it! any advice,comments,pisstakes? ah. ive run out of space..........................
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• photoleft.jpg
    photoleft.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,493
  • rock2.jpg
    rock2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,472
Thanks for the photos Steve, its changed quite a bit since I last saw it. Nice though. :thumb

Ok, LBW was one of the first press release bikes from BM into the UK, they all had consecutive numbers. I think there were six in total. They were then sold on and number 6 was bought and taken to Spain where it lived for the next few years. The owner had a house there but kept it on the English registration. I have seen two more of the bikes, one was owned by Keith at Unit sidecars who used it to develop his ER off road side car, we tried that out once but decided not to. The other one was a bit strange, I was on the cross chanel ferry coming into dock when a young lady came running up to me and accused me of trying to steal from their bike. Yup they had the next number and were parked a little further down the hold. :D Anyway the bike came back from Spain in the winter of 84 and the owner decided it was too cold to ride it back to Spain so it went in the MCN. I was looking for one to do the Elephant rally on and it was duly purchased for £1000.
This photo is from the summer of 85.

Attachments

• Picture 019 (Small).jpg
    Picture 019 (Small).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 777
I didn't like the handling on the front end, it was way to squishy and the twist on the forks when the brake was applied had to go. I was used to the RT dual discs and did consider a conversion but didn't. I made up the fork brace and had it powder coated ( more about powdercoating later :( ) I also changed the front springs to Prgressive springs and used a thicker oil. Problem sorted at not to much cost. I'd better go do some work, more later.

Oh and thanks Kenny. :thumb

one of the first! interesting. did they not have some sort of fork brace as standard? seems like they need one. thanks for the info sofar :thumb

Well done :thumb

I like the looks of the double exhaust, which bits have you used there?

Cheers,
Michel

exhausts were done on the cheap migsel, standard r80 single balance, get the ones with a bend at the end to kick up the slash cuts. got them mail order(cheap!). can find out where if you want some. and yess kenny they are even with the baffel in! might need to get some wadding! :nono

Hi Steve, re the fork brace, never fitted from new and I don't recall seeing another bike with one fitted. Somebody will now prove I'm wrong :) Silencers are an often reapeated subject as we continue. Sorry about the delays but work and the fact that this is all in pre digital photos that I have to scan in.
Trips to Italy, South of France and deepest darkest Bavaria feature often as we have friends and family there and we prefer to go and stay as the mountains are slightly more interesting than the flatlands of home. These photos are the 86 Elephant.

Attachments

• 1 (Small).jpg
    1 (Small).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 674
Notice the Muffs, nowt new is there :D The box contained a new BM system 1 helmet complete with an electricaly heated visor :thumb Not available in the UK due to its seat belt type fastening and the reflective blue graffics.The silencer is now seriously starting to rot away and in the end was replaced by a Citroen rear resonator box, bit noisy but :nenau it worked so wtf. :)
Scottie, (you will hear more about him later as well :( ) from this forum bought an identical bike about now and we both used them for all manor of off roading and even entered a couple of enduros. Mine continued to be used as regular long distance transport.

Attachments

• Picture 020 (Small).jpg
    Picture 020 (Small).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 671
Scottie is going to post some off road photos later as only he could afford a camera :p Anyway this was the norm, two up and off to Italy, No £500 Sargeant seats for us, a £5.00 lilo, probably more comfortable but would only sell here if it had TT stamped on it :D Funny story time, Mrs Noddy was a pissed of about sitting on the back by the time we got to Germany and started to, well complain just a little, so in the end I pulled over and suggested that she might like to take the front seat. She did, with a bit of attitude :eek down the slip road and onto the Autobahn, into 3rd and up came the front wheel, and stayed there, into fourth, clunk, and up came the front even more. Oh feck, she had to stamp onto the rear brake to get horizontal. She says, Huh feel better now, think I'l sit on the back again. :D
What she didn't notice was the Belgium biker who was :eek: and had stopped in amazement and was doing the :bow :bow . Ok I'm sorry no more funny stories. ;)

Attachments

• Picture 021 (Small).jpg
    Picture 021 (Small).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 666
Ok, moving on, the bike came in for a couple of face lifts about now, the first because my brother flipped it playing on the back field and smashed the console, speedo and all the idiot lights, flattened the tank and oh yes, knocked himself out for 10 mins :D after the ambulance lights faded into the distance I set about a repair. Couldn't get a console so instead bought a R80RT speedo and rev counter dash, a universal headlight bracket, and a 100GS large fuel tank. Good old Motobins. :thumb ( hear more about them later as well) The original headlight survived. So I set too to make it all work. and after some wiring bodg... sorry alterations had everything working again :D About now Mrs Noddy gave up her obsession with Laverdas and bought a new Yammy Tenere. So the GS was given a bit of a paint job to kind of sort of match :D And deep joy, the awfull ( :dabone to de Judge) white seat was moved into storage and a single police seat was fitted. Now I knew how they could still smile as they wrote the ticket after beeing in the saddle for 8 hours.

Attachments

• Picture 114.jpg
    Picture 114.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 653
be careful

Noddy.
you are going to be so depressed when you finish this, cos you let the old girl go :(

Better make sure you got first dibs on getting the old girl back if he ever sells her !!! :)

Nah, no sweat Proff, same logo on my present bike :D

Attachments

• Plate (Small) (Small).jpg
    Plate (Small) (Small).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 634
The bike stayed like that untill enroute again to the Elephant just after Stuttgart the head of the exhaust valve detatched its self and went for a short vist through the piston. Managed to limp on one cylinder to my friends house in Augsberg where the bike was left in there garage and we continued with me on a borowed jap thingie. :nenau I flew home and they were going to get the salt cleaned off and I was going to return with a trailer to collect it a few weeks later. That didn't happen till August :( The plan then was to take the car and a replacement head, barrel and piston, gaskets etc ( good old Motobins again)with us to Germany rebuild the bike there and continue down to Italy. The head and barrels were going to be removed before we got there. Fortunatly at the last moment I decided to take the trailer.
Boy was I glad I did, when we got there we found that there had been a bit of a domestic and the bike had never even been washed down. What a total mess, it was all white and very furry the brakes had all seized on. Sorry no photos as I was so pissed off at the time.
Still we left the trailer there and went to Italy anyway and hired this for a couple of weeks. :thumb Great fun.

Attachments

• Peg (Small).jpg
    Peg (Small).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 609
We bought the bike back and I got it running again but it looked a total mess. A few parties later we were sorting out the bbq with a can of spray on heatproof paint when this sudden drunked urge hit everybody. A few cans later the Stealth Beemer was born. :D

Attachments

• Stealth Beemer (Small).jpg
    Stealth Beemer (Small).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 610
I think it was the next summer :nenau and the bike was sitting out the back when we had a megga thunder and lightning storm and the bike took a direct lightning hit :eek: I could hear the horn was on and went to have a look, all the lights were on, and the hazard flashers. Bit neat that as the bike wasn't fitted with hazards :D I was going to get a spanner and disconnect the earth lead but Mrs Noddy sugested it might be slightly safer to just leave it.
She's quite often right. :confused: Anyway the result of that was a blown battery, fuses, and a melted printed circuit board. Got an account opened with Motobins about now. :D

I decided to go to the Alps for a couple of weeks pass blasting with some mates and whilst changing all the oils found that the oil in the gearbox was a horrible thin rusty colour :nenau Filled everything up and all was well, had done about 3000 miles when I got back home and it never missed a beat.
Couple of days later Mrs Noddy takes the bike to Norwich and gets about 10 miles up the road when Bang, no 5th gear, few more miles Bang no 4th gear,
she ended up nursing it about 50 miles in 3rd gear. :D She was riding it at the time so its her fault. Right chaps :thumb

Anyways the poor old thing can't be ridden anymore so a complete strip down was done, all the parts slung around the back of the shed and a I'l start to sort that lot out next weekend thought, as a can was opened. :rolleyes:

Next weekend turned in to quite a few next weekends :rolleyes: I think it was a couple of years. as me old Dad used to say. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. ;) It came quite close to being chucked in the skip a few times and I can't remember the reason but suddenly I was filled with an urge to get it sorted. We dug out all the parts we could find, I checked my account was still live at Motobins :D And a the plan was put into action. First the gearbox was taken to Phil AKA the Boxerman up in Leicester for a complete rebuild. I could have dropped a secondhand box a bit cheaper but wanted to retain the kicker, plus who knows with used boxes :nenau

Attachments

• Yuk (Small).jpg
    Yuk (Small).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 331
Borrowed a bead blaster from work and started to clean all the major big lumps :D

Attachments

• Engine (Small).jpg
    Engine (Small).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 331

Back
Top Bottom