Few Questions About 1150GS

samclifford

I've just picked up my GS, and when was wondering if someone out there could either reassure me that the following things are normal, or let me know what might be wrong?

There is a loud rattling from the bike when on idle, which disappears when I pull the clutch in. Any ideas?

The idle is a bit rough, and drops below 1000 rpm, but speeds up when the bike is on the sidestand. Any ideas?

If accelerating on full throttle, the bike is jerky and seems to make the exhaust pop on a closed throttle when slowing down. Again, any ideas?

Please tell me if i'm being paranoid, but I am not quite used to the GS yet and ain't sure if these things are normal

Cheers

Sam

samclifford said:
There is a loud rattling from the bike when on idle, which disappears when I pull the clutch in. Any ideas?

Hiya Sam,

The GS does make all sorts of noises not heard elsewhere,but if you`re hearing a kind of 'gravelly scrawping' that vanishes when you pull the clutch lever in,that`s not good...and likely either a clutch bearing or (as in my case a while ago...) a gearbox output bearing.
Some may say ignore it...but mine got louder until I could hear it while riding.

Not long later,the bearing exploded,snapping and jamming the clutch push rod which burnt out the clutch....bits were found everywhere inside the gearbox and shaft tunnel.

I`d get it examined,mate :thumb

It may explain the jerkiness too.

Popping on the over-run is normal and an essential GS trait :D

If the idle is rough, that could be because the throttles aren't balanced - if they're way out of balance it can also cause the " clutch" rattle you describe.

Tarka and Steptoe

Thanks for the replies, i'll have to drop it in and let the dealer have a look. Wouldn't want my clutch to explode!!!!

Cheers

Sam

took it back to the dealers, turned out one of the ignition coils can packed in. running sweet as a nut now.

and the clutch thing was me messing with the adjuster, i like hardly any movement from the clutch lever, but put it back to how it was and the noise has gone!!!

sam

samclifford said:
took it back to the dealers, turned out one of the ignition coils can packed in. running sweet as a nut now.

and the clutch thing was me messing with the adjuster, i like hardly any movement from the clutch lever, but put it back to how it was and the noise has gone!!!

sam

Good news ! :thumb :beerjug:

samclifford said:

sam

Sam the 1150GS has a Hydraulic clutch. Note reservior on the left bar. The adjuster you were adjusting is for the fast idle (choke) to the throttle bodies. Screwing this out opens the butterflies slightly and causes them to rattle. :)

Mzokk said:
Sam the 1150GS has a Hydraulic clutch. Note reservior on the left bar. The adjuster you were adjusting is for the fast idle (choke) to the throttle bodies. Screwing this out opens the butterflies slightly and causes them to rattle. :)

:confused: Sounds to me like he was adjusting the lever span setting???

Possibly me reading more into the post. Taking all the slack outta the fast Idle cable can make the butterflies rattle. The span adjuster does not adjust anything other than the angle of the lever v's the master cylinder so there is no slack to take out and therefore no effect on anything that rattles:nenau

Could be wrong though wouldn't be the first time. :D :D :mmmm

Back
Top Bottom