N/Normans power fuse box contraption

Deleted account 231205001

Reaction score
If I fitted this to my GSA,would I simply connect the bare wires of my autocom and tomtom to it and it would save soldering to a power source/hardwireing to the battery etc?. I take it that the device connects to the battery directly :nenau . Many thanks, from an electrical novice!

Big Lad said:
If I fitted this to my GSA,would I simply connect the bare wires of my autocom and tomtom to it and it would save soldering to a power source/hardwireing to the battery etc?. I take it that the device connects to the battery directly :nenau . Many thanks, from an electrical novice!

I think you've about sumed up how it works :thumb

I put mine here, Wired it through a relay so it,s only ignition live, bracket was made from door finger plate.

60795128-M.jpg

60795130-M.jpg

Big Lad said:

Yes the fuse board goes directly to the battery, but if you wire your Autocom straight to it then it will always be live unless you turn it off.

My Autocom is wired into the rear light live cable, so effectively comes on with both the ignition switch and the light on/off switch, although some say it causes problems with ABS bikes, but not on mine.

Thanks for the replies, If I wired it to the rear light wire, would you connect the pos wire only ( black wire to earth )? and what method would you use to connect the wire?. I've done loads of searches and the brake seems the common choice, but I've not found a method of actually doing it. Cheers

Big Lad said:

I have got one of those for sale if you are interested

Big Lad

Dutch up in Motorad Concepts has a deal on the Cetach box and a relay kit on at the moment, details are here

I used this combination and all the conections and instructions are included, well worth it. :thumb

Big Lad said:
Enabb, which relay did yo wire it to?. Thanks for the pics by the way.i

Put it through a heavy duty relay, not OE, sort of made my own kit up from various threads I found here and on ADV site, will dig up the info if you want :thumb , think it.ll be simlar to what Motorad Concepts sell though. Put the same set up on SWMBO 650 gs and not had any problems.

Couple more photo,s,

60392936-M.jpg

60795125-M.jpg

60795118-M.jpg

60795121-M.jpg

HTH.

Source for relay power

On the 1200GS it is not necessary to risk problems with ABS when looking for an ignition controlled source to operate a relay.

To the left of the headstock there is a socket for powering the BMW Navigator SatNav. It is hidden under the tape covering the wiring loom but is easy to find and ease out. It is a small plastic socket with a dust cover. It takes a `special' plug but I found that if I stiffened up about 5mm of cable with solder they made effective `pins' to fit the socket and then the dust cover can be pushed back on, trapping the cable (assuming 30amp twin and earth is not being used).

I use this source to feed the relay that turns on the battery connection for both satnav and Autocom.

Big Lad said:
Thanks for the replies, If I wired it to the rear light wire, would you connect the pos wire only ( black wire to earth )? and what method would you use to connect the wire?. I've done loads of searches and the brake seems the common choice, but I've not found a method of actually doing it. Cheers

Not the brake light :nono the rear light. :thumb And positive wire only, you could connect the negative to your Nippy Norman fuse negative side.

On the 1150 the positive wire runs along the right hand side of the rear sub frame. Find a suitable place and remove the insulation, twist the end of your Autocom lead around the bare rear light wire and solder. Cover with self amalgamating tape.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I ended up wiring the GPS into the front power socket by adding another lead from the socket and joining the wires. It worked a treat and with the migsel mount, the wiring is now tucked into the the back of the speedo and looks really neat. I wired it to the power socket as it is fused already and also live, as I didn't want to keep turning the GPS on after I switched the engine off. When I get round to the autocom, I'll either just run it from the front socket (via a plug) and leave it in the tankbag, or use the rear light live. Thanks again chaps :thumb

Back
Top Bottom