what gps ??

MERLIN

Hi all
been reading the threads now for a few days about sat navs (minefield springs to mind ) and i know this is a easier question than answer but what sat nav is best for my bike GS 1200. Will be going back around west europe again next year and fancy gps. Now i'm over sports bikes and have time to look .
Is garmin the way to go ? :beerjug:

I'd say that Garmin currently make the best range of GPS units for bikes at the moment.....

......if you're handy to us in Dalkeith, we can demo them all or the TomTom Rider......try before you buy......

Cheers

Dutch

My Garmin 2820 is the best piece of kit I have bought that I can remember. How did I manage without it ?...... :nenau

MERLIN said:
Hi all
been reading the threads now for a few days about sat navs (minefield springs to mind ) and i know this is a easier question than answer but what sat nav is best for my bike GS 1200. Will be going back around west europe again next year and fancy gps. Now i'm over sports bikes and have time to look .
Is garmin the way to go ? :beerjug:

Mmmmm..................

Let me put it like this:

GARMIN = PROFESSIONAL

TOMTOM = GIRLIE

In order of desirability
Garmin Zumo (out in December)
Garmin 2820
Garmin 2720
Garmin 2610
Map & Compass
Map
Route on fag packet
TomTom Rider :nono

Al :D

Blackal said:
Mmmmm..................

Let me put it like this:

GARMIN = PROFESSIONAL

TOMTOM = GIRLIE

In order of desirability
Garmin Zumo (out in December)
Garmin 2820
Garmin 2720
Garmin 2610
Map & Compass
Map
Route on fag packet
TomTom Rider :nono

How you can select something that isn't out yet as the most desirable gps is beyond me. Ultimately it has to boil down to what you want from your satnav and make a decision from there. I have a 'girlie' tomtom and it does what I need it to do and does it well. When and if I need more from a gps I will then start to look at Garmin.

JDH

If this 'what GPS thread?' follows the established procedure, you're about to get a bunch of 276 (& variants) thugs telling you why that one is the only way to go :D :D :D :D

JDH said:
How you can select something that isn't out yet as the most desirable gps is beyond me.

JDH

I've put my name down on Dutchman's pre-order list for a Zumo 550 based on my previous experience of Garmin's products, the information from their website and the fact that this is their first motorcycle "specific" GPS.

The Garmin 2610 is really cheap now with loads of deals around the GBP250 mark, they work well and I have done 1000's of miles with mine around Mainland Europe, Scandinavia and the UK. I was tempted to get a second one as a spare but they just keep going, and they cope well with many hours of heavy rain.

I would recommend one 10/10

chasr said:
charlie b - I might have to update that old advice :thumb

Yep, law of sod... :rolleyes:

as soon is it's committed to print...there is a new one along...
better work the forthcoming Garmin Sumo into your listing Chas
so newbies can start from there!! :thumb

BTW Merlin... Garmin 2720 works great for me... :clap

JDH said:
How you can select something that isn't out yet as the most desirable gps is beyond me. Ultimately it has to boil down to what you want from your satnav and make a decision from there. I have a 'girlie' tomtom and it does what I need it to do and does it well. When and if I need more from a gps I will then start to look at Garmin.

JDH

Because it is basically a Nuvi for bikes. :D

Yes it is down to what you want from a SatNav, and your opinion is as valid as mine or the next fella's. It was opinions that were asked for.

"Desireability" should not be confused with "justification"

Have a nice day

Hello Merlin,

This is the point in any 'what GPS?' thread where I tend to come in and whinge on with my tales of woe re: Quest 1 being much more reliable than the Quest 2, even though I've now got a 2610 and I'm very happy with it.

But since I've done that before I won't do it now.

Three cheers for the 276/60c brigade - you know they're out there!

:D

Thanks

Thanks for your replys but isnt the garmin 2610 an old unit ? will take you up on offer Dutchman only live about half a hour a way . :thumb

MERLIN said:
.... isnt the garmin 2610 an old unit ? ..
The 2610 was new about 2 years ago, but technology changes so fast. :nenau

I have one and quite honestly I can't see me changing it, becasue it does everything I need - and more, in fact to date I reckon that I have only used about 90% of its features. The SPIIIs are slow in comparison but turn up to a GS event, and I can almost guarantee that there will be a handful there who still have them, and tour Europe with them quite happily.

If you use a 2610 though, it is lightning fast in comparison with an SPIII but I can't believe that the new models can be much faster, after all it only takes a second or 2 to re/calculate even a long route. Personally, I don't expect to download music to my GPS - but perhaps in a few years I'll change my mind.

Blackal said:
Because it is basically a Nuvi for bikes. :D

Yes it is down to what you want from a SatNav, and your opinion is as valid as mine or the next fella's. It was opinions that were asked for.

"Desireability" should not be confused with "justification"

Have a nice day

Strange then that you should consider a 'route on a fag packet' as 'justification' over a TomTom, given that they were both mentioned in the same context. Nah mate, I didn't confuse the two, but I haven't the faintest idea what a Nuvi is I'm afraid, please enlighten me, and thanks, I had a great day.

JDH

Taff said:
The 2610 was new about 2 years ago, but technology changes so fast. :nenau

I have one and quite honestly I can't see me changing it, becasue it does everything I need - and more, in fact to date I reckon that I have only used about 90% of its features.

I agree 100% I see no reason to change, it took us all over Europe this year without a problem, and no doubt we will use it next year as well. Great bit of kit. :thumb

Did I say this before? :eek

Are you interested in riding long tours on small roads? International 3-week adventures? Do you want to ride on nice roads? Do you plan your trips up-front? Are you riding a GS on GS-roads? Take a look at the 276C and the 60CX! :thumb

Are you typically riding on highways from one big city to another? Do you seldom plan in exact detail on what roads you want to ride? Do you plan to use the GPS only when riding/driving (no battery). Are you mostly driving a car? Is speed cameras an issue? Is full post-code search important? Take a look at the SP2720 and the SP2820! :thumb

JDH said:
Strange then that you should consider a 'route on a fag packet' as 'justification' over a TomTom, given that they were both mentioned in the same context. Nah mate, I didn't confuse the two, but I haven't the faintest idea what a Nuvi is I'm afraid, please enlighten me, and thanks, I had a great day.

JDH

Apologies - Nuvi is new on the market, and I assumed that people knew of its capabilities. As mentioned - I believe that the Zumi is basically the same unit but "bikerized".

The "justification/desirability" comparison was that a person may not justify an item, but it makes it no less desirable. Bit like the bloke that justifies a hot hatch, but always desires the Porsche.

The placing of the TomTom below the fag packet was, of course entirely tounge in cheek, but I still rate it (for what I'm looking for) below Garmin units I'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom