East Coast USA to Alaska...!!

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Me and a friend who lives in North Carolina, USA are planning a trip from Washington DC to Alaska in 2007. We both have 1200GSA`s and I`ll be shipping mine across from England.
What we need is an idea of the best routes across Canada as neither of us have visited there although we both know the US pretty well. The idea is not to hit the freeways all the way across and the only road I`ve really heard of is the Dawson Highway (I think)...!!
Can anyone help with route idea`s and the best time of year to run up into Alaska?
Would appreciate any assistance with this.

:cool:

Canada - Alaska

Hi

I had a fantastic drive through canada and alaska this year - really fantastic

www.horizonsunlimited.com/tstories/maher/

East canada and across and on up the rockies and up to the Arctic circle. You'll love the driving !! Check my blog for routes and comments if you've time ? apart from the boring prairies (Saskatchewan & Manitoba) which I raced across, I didn't put a foot wrong in terms of road choices - you'll love it up there. Maybe take in a little of the rockies in the U.S. or some of the national parks beofre you head up ? Only thing I would have changed is more time ! (which I didn't have....)

Kevin

Kevinm said:
Hi

Maybe take in a little of the rockies in the U.S. or some of the national parks beofre you head up ? Only thing I would have changed is more time ! (which I didn't have....)

Kevin

As Kevin suggested, definitely do Glacier NP :thumb :thumb

Where have you been in US? You could go via Badlands NP, Mount Rushmore/Custer SP/Wind Cave SP and then Devils Tower National Monument and up into Glacier.

ian

HI
Try to get hold of 2 books:
Destination Highways Washington ( as in state) and British Columbia. They detail (in anally retentive fashion) the top 85 roads in each state for bikers. A destination highway is a road deamed worthy in itself of a trip to ride. They will give you a fantastic foresight of what you can look forward to.
This time last year I had 4 days and 2000km in the Rockies and managed to ride 23 of the 85 roads - AWESOME as they say over there.

Watch out for big furry buggers - "the important thing to remember when touring Canada is that you are NOT at the top of the food chain!!!"

Thanks for the info and tips. I`ll get the books and check the blog`s!

I`ve travelled up the the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone etc but didn`t get up to Glacier NP. It was a touck on the chilly side and was advised not to do it but it`s definately on the list of must do`s.

:thumb

US trip

Hi chris, thinking of a similar trip next year perhaps.Just wondered what company you used to get bike over there.(Air or sea too ???)
Thanks
Martin

Chris Biltcliffe said:
but didn`t get up to Glacier NP. It was a touck on the chilly side and was advised not to do it but it`s definately on the list of must do`s.

:thumb

Yep,

the road only opened 3 days before I arrived and that was early June.

However, I was fortunate that the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day. Very pretty on the 'Going to the Sun Road'.Well worth doing.

I met a german form NYC at my motel in Kalispell and we travelled up together. He kept on going up into Canada to meet up with some buddies , I wanted to go across too but i'd left my passport at the motel so we split up at Logans Pass summit.

Martin

I`ll ship from Liverpool to Baltimore on a Ro-Ro ferry. Did it last year with no problem and saves all the hassle of crating etc. The ship was the Atlantic Conveyor bit this time missed the Exorcet...!! Only took 8 days and no problems at Baltimore. Shipped back from Los Angeles again with no problem but that took nearly 4 weeks. It`s always a good idea to ship or fly the bike into a small port or airport. I`ve heard of horrendous problems in places like NewYork.
My mates in shipping so I get an excellent deal but I`ll find you a good price from him if you`re interested. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom