Glens Run Sunday

• Thread starter Deleted account rno
  • Start date

Deleted account rno

I'm meeting Floyd at the Spittal of Glenshee Hotel about 12.15 on Sunday. We'll either have lunch or coffee there and then head over Glen Isla to Glen Clova.

Anyone else fancy it?

Sorry but I would rather spend my weekend working in Sth Uist

NOT :(

At the moment, I'm contemplating going to the Jock Taylor Memorial Meeting at Knockhill. Otherwise..... :)

Ride Oot Report

Well, I woke up at 07.45, having been out until 1.30. Felt fine as I was "careful" with my bevvy consumption last night. It was pissing down. I PM'd Floyd and learned that Morayshire was fair. I checked the BBC Weather line. Braemar area was cloudy with light showers. All systems go. I left at 09.50 and had an easy ride up to Perth. The rain had stopped by Bridge of Earn and the sky was looking promising. I usually go to Blairgowrie/Glenshee via Stanley but decided for a wee change to go throught Perth city centre and hit Blairgowrie via Guildtown. I rode along the banks of the silvery Tay and stopped at the lights at Tay Street. I filtered to the front of the queue.

Lights change to green. First gear...S'funny :confused: no gear lever :eek: I looked down and the lever was swinging away freely. Linkeage obviously loose or busted :(

Fuxake :spitfire I'm on a steep incline so I stick my hazzards on and push the bike into the side of the road at the lights. Sweating buckets as well... It's quite an incline and these 1150s are fukin heavy...

Phoned my wife...no answer. Phoned G.C. and left a message. My wife then phoned me back and I got her to contact the Spittal of Glenshee Hotel and leave a message for Floyd. I'm still in plenty time so I'm hopeful of a roadside repair and still make my RV with Floyd. Note To Self: "always have a mobile number for anyone that you've arranged to meet" :rolleyes:

I then phoned Carol Nash. Someone will be with me within 60/90 minutes. Hmmm...seems a bit long even for a Sunday, given that I'm in Perth city centre. I left my hazzards on as I was in the cycle lane right at the lights/junction. I've also had 2 calls from G.C. He's a bit more sympathetic than my missus :D

About an hour later, Chisholms of Perth Vehicle Recovery truck arrives and the guy has a quick look at my gear lever. Might be able to fix that he told me :thumb Out with a cable tie and he fixes the lever. Gears seem to be working OK. The guy jumps into his truck and he's off.

Get on the bike, ignition on and...

...no power. Battery's flat :confused: :eek: Seems a bit harsh, even although I've had my hazzards on for about an hour. I turned the bike around and tried to bump start her down Tay Street but no joy. :spitfire :spitfire It's turning into one of them days... :(

Phone Carol Nash. Different fault this time...it's classed as another call out. Oh well, whatever... :nenau

Same guy/truck is back within 20 mintues. I've called G.C. again and I'm of the opinion that I'd be better getting a recovery home. This is all bad Juju...

Man From Chisholm's Recovery say, "No, we'll get you jump started" and he fetches his jump leads. I get the seat off my bike and am removing the bolt from the tank with the Allen key when, yep you've guessed it...the nut slips from my holding/securing finger and falls into the battery compartment area. It's no great problem and is in easy view and reach.

Terry Fukwit from Chisholm's had the answer...a large flat headed screwdriver with which he then proceeds to poke the nut with out of sight into the bowels of my bike... :(

It's now raining and we spend about 20 minutes trying to find the nut. He's for pulling bits off my bike to gain access but it's clear he has not a Scooby so I tell him not to bother. I'm still (inwardly) determined that Recovery Home is the way to go. :thumb

Terry Fukwit then announces that he might have a spare nut in his vehicle (I thought maybe his brother had come along for the ride... :rolleyes: ) I've already told him that there is no way that I'll be riding the bike if there's no bolt securing the petrol tank. A few minutes later, he announces that he hasn't a suitable nut but, Hey Presto! ...He can secure the petrol tank with...

...a cable tie! I'm not impressed to say the least.

I explain to him that in light of all that's gone wrong today, I'd rather get transported home with my bike and I can get everything repaired properly thereafter. Er..no can do, says Terry. His large, impressive looking recovery vehicle can't transport bikes :eek: :nenau I then established that Yes, he knew that it was a motor bike he'd been sent out to on both occasions and No, there wasn't an alternative vehicle available. Terry didn't know what would have happened if the cable tie/gear lever hadn't worked and if I wasn't prepaired to go home with the petrol tank/cable tie ensemble...

By this time, I'm really quite pissed off so I agree to the cable tie on my petrol tank. I jokingly suggested cable tying my front wheel to the back of his truck but he told me that the bike wouldn't transport like that.

Quick sign of a bit of paper and Terry Fukwit is off again. He didn't bother waiting to ensure that I rode off OK. :rolleyes:

Surprisingly, I got home safely and without further incident. Oh, well apart from having no house key and Christine being 10 miles away in Kirkcaldy when I arrived at Schloss Ronno.

I really hope that Floyd had a good enough run on his new steed and it wasn't a wasted trip for him. Sorry Floyd :thumb

G.C. Thanks for your help :thumb

Ronno

P.S. I've got some lucky white heather left. PM me if anyone needs any :eek:

I've just spoken to G.C.

He managed to get hold of Floyd on the phone at the Spittal and pass on news of my mishap. It seems Den and Rustel also made an appearance there.

Hope you had a good one lads :thumb

fuxake ronno, you cannae play that old chestnut again!

You're as bad as me! ;)

Hope you get the bike sorted asap mate

If it's any consolation, we had a brilliant ride :p

Bad luck though :(

Sorry to read about your woes Ronno (particulary given that it made me laugh). Up for a run next weekend?

Assuming your bike 'allows' you to that is...! :eek:

Kai

ps Had a lovely day of sunshine here in the Borders today! :cool:

Chinese Whispers

So, from a different perspective :-
A man from Leven breaks down in Perth and phones a man from Fort William to phone a man from Lossiemouth at a hotel in Glenshee where said Lossiemoother (?) is in conversation with a man from Kirkcaldy and a man from Perth who had he known would have stayed at home and waved at you as you pushed yer bike up the street! By the time the message got to us I'm sure Floyd said that you couldnae be bothered showing up but that ye'd buy us all tea and adhesive confectionaries the next time we're out. :thumb
Anyhow, Den or Floyd can do the actual Glen Report. Den's a top reporter and Floyd might have taken one snap.
In your absence I took "point" which had 2 advantages - Floyd could catch up on some needed sleep from offshore nightshifts and, they could both look straight through/past me at the road ahead which made it easy for them. No danger had you been in front, wide man! :clap
Hope you get her fixed soon........ and the bike gets sorted too.

SpyInTheCamp said:
Sorry to read about your woes Ronno (particulary given that it made me laugh). Up for a run next weekend?

Assuming your bike 'allows' you to that is...! :eek:

Kai

ps Had a lovely day of sunshine here in the Borders today! :cool:

Hello Kai,

I'm thinking about getting these for my bike ;)

20509366_f6660c76c8_m.jpg

I mounted my trusty steed at approx 11 oclock under the dark kirkcaldy skies.
Vultured circled overhead and I could hear autumns chilly wind rustling the discarded asda bag which had become caught on the pergola.
North the wind sighed, go north to your destiny.
Little did I know what lay in store ...

Well, I did actually. I knew that it was goin tae be a wee bit wet, and that Ronno would probably break down. That aside, I still decided to go.

Anyhoo. Lovely roads as usual, wet or dry. Got to Glenshee, had edibles and drinkys and let Rustle lead the way round Glen Isla to Kirrymuir. Stopped, had a blether, then headed up Glen Prosen with Rustle acting as pheasant clearer, me in the middle and floyd Knobblying behind on the battleship adventure.
Toyed with the idea of travelling along a 4 mile 'ministers path' over the hill to glen clova but Rustle was scared. Me and Floyd would have done it nae problem, but we remembered the rule about never exceeding the skills of the weakest member of the team.
So we wended oor way back down to Kirrie where we split up and went home in warm sunshine.

Actually ... me and Floyd secretly met up after Rustle had shot off west to Scone, and we did the 'ministers path' 4 times. Dont tell him.

Good time had by all ....... except Ronno.

sorry to hear of your trouble Ronno but as they say 'shit happens' and just think
by taking on the several happenings to yourself you've saved some other poor unfortunate that trouble - well done you - a good citizen!
what about Carol Nash and the bikeunable recoverer?

Den said:
Good time had by all ....... except Ronno.

Actually, you're wrong there.

I wasnae wi' you so it turned oot braw for me

:dabone :D

Hi Ronno

Seems you had one of those day's mate,the auld Rustle fella has lost his :cloak gone are the day's of the shy lurker ;) look forward to doing that wee run with you some time,never been in that part of Heaven.

:beerjug:
Schultz

Schultz said:
Hi Ronno

Seems you had one of those day's mate,the auld Rustle fella has lost his :cloak gone are the day's of the shy lurker ;) look forward to doing that wee run with you some time,never been in that part of Heaven.

:beerjug:
Schultz

Hi Schultz,

I'm sure you'd enjoy the Angus Glens. Nice part of the country. His cloak isn't the only thing that Rustle has lost...

thousand_marble3.jpg

...but you already knew that :D

Sorry you missed it Ronno, not a bad day considering the weather. Got soaked on the way there and on the way home :( , still it was a fine excuse to open the MaCallan :clap ( not that I needed one) when I got home. Not really the weather for the camera

newbike1stoctober2006002.jpg

P.S Ronno time to buy a new bike maybe :thumb

newbike1stoctober2006004.jpg

But not that slower WHITE ones :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom