Alaska - The final frontier - Any tips ?

'Nuffsaid

Reaction score
I am starting to plan my trip to Alaska next August (07), well to say I am starting .... actually I have got as far as getting the bike to Anchorage and blocking off 3 weeks to tour on the GS12. If anyone has any tips on a good route, and advice on equipment (Tyres?) and must see, must ride or must stay places - I would be very appreciative!

Some days we are the flies .... some day we are the visors ... :confused:

Sounds like fun - take some really good mosquito reppellant :D and check out this and this . That should keep you busy for a while :thumb

[QUOTE='Nuffsaid]I am starting to plan my trip to Alaska next August (07), well to say I am starting .... actually I have got as far as getting the bike to Anchorage and blocking off 3 weeks to tour on the GS12. If anyone has any tips on a good route, and advice on equipment (Tyres?) and must see, must ride or must stay places - I would be very appreciative![/QUOTE] Well no advice, but I quite fancy doing Alaska at some point as well, how are you getting the bike over, where to, does it take long and is it expensive? :)

[QUOTE='Nuffsaid]Hi,

You can get an online quote from http://www.motorcycleshippers.com/s_international_quote.htm or try a company called Classic Motion in Anchorage

503 Arctic Boulevard, Anchorage, AK 99503
P.O. Box 232295, Anchorage, AK 99523
0010 907 272 6863 Phone/Fax[/QUOTE]

Many thanks, I will set the wife on this and see what they say. Hmm, I had better tell her she may be going to Alaska as well :rolleyes:

Good for you :thumb

I've been to Skagway many years ago, and would say that it, together with the Chilkoot trail, Dawson City, Carcross would be good to get a feel for the goldrush days.

One area of fascination (to me) is the Canol Road, built during the war between Norman Wells and the Mackenzie River.

Canol Road

I don’t think you can bike it, but it is worth a look.

Denali National Park is a must, of course.

Buy a copy of “The Milepost” which has lots of info too.

Have fun, and take lots of photos. :thumb

Al :D

If It helps
Many of the roads are quite abrasive,and take there toll on tyres.
TKC's would be a good choice, but the rear may only last 3500 miles.
many of the roads in the logging area's have pot hole's and mud on the road,but the TKC's wont have a problem with this.

It will more than likely rain ,so a good set of water proofs are required.
If you camping then the mossie's are a pest,take a good repelent,and a net to ware over your head.

Fuel range on you GS wont be a problem

as for the cost of shipping ,which cost me more than it would have cost to hire a fully kitted out KLR 650 ,make sure you have you insurance sorted out,claims over there can cost $$$$$$ dont risk it.

Most of all Enjoy and take plenty of photo's

All the best.

I`m just planning a trip from Baltimore to Alaska starting in June 07..! Let me know how it goes and we may just bump into each other....!!
Not sutre TKC`s will last all that distance.... :thumb

Lots of good suggestions in your replies. I' ve ridden there a few times and the Alaskan bikers are very, very friendly and helpful. Lots of wildlife and gorgeous scenery. Watch out for the loose metal decked bridges if you've never ridden on them before - the one at Teslin is the longest. They're tricky in the dry so imagine how they are in the wet.
Are you staying in Alaska or touring down through the Yukon and B.C.? If heading to B.C. take the Cassier Highway (part tarmac and part dirt [including a 180º unhill banked bend!]). You could also visit Hyder, Alaska off the Cassier which is home to the end of an Iron Butt 49 states trip and rally weekend and also where the movie "Insomnia" was filmed.
Other than that, it's all great and I wish I was doing it again!

Have a blast

Just doing Alaska, as i only have 3 weeks (Still havent told the wife & kids yet!) - Am keen to get as much riding in as possible - and getting off the black stuff as much as possible - Thanks for the tips on TKC's - They are going on the shopping list!

Does anyone have thoughts on cast vs spoke wheels for this type of terrain - are the OEM's up to the job without cracking?

The best tip I can give is ............."Never go down on a forwards wiper" :rob

Alaska is stunning - do the Dalton up to Prudhoe Bay - smuggle in some beer as its a dry town. Lots of dirt and stay at Wiseman on the way up or down rather than Coldfoot for an "out there" experience. In 3 weeks you can get down to Vancouver still tkaing it easy, via Stewart Cassiar (doing Hyder en route - Fish Creek is massive bear territory that time of year, as salmon are in the rivers having babies and make a tasty meal).

Anyway, might you see you en route - we're up in Alaska on a GlobeBusters ride first week in August.

Kevin - This is my Plan "B" as I am awaiting a cancellation off your trip ! Thanks for the tips (Dont suppose you have any space for a GS in your container?) - Either way am really excited about the trip ...... what tyres do you ride this section on ...I recall you saying Knobbly on the front and Tourance on the rear?

tyres.

Guess this is a bit out of date but as a member of kevins trip this august I thought that bthis might help.
We are using a kcs80 on the front and tourence on the rear. I would have prefered 80's on both but the wear rate is too high. Hope we see you on route. Should you see a pile of bones wrapped around an 1150gs with an adventure tank and black cover, that will be me!. So say a prayer and you can have the cover. (I'll have taken my wallet with me as I've told the big man (not kevin) that I ain't going without it!.
Good luck on your trip./
dave gs.

Alaska

Look on the adventure riders site under the "grat white noth" thread lots about alaska on here as most of them live there.
dave ( alaska bound) gs.

Back
Top Bottom