Binding ABS Rear Brakes on GS1150 Adv

nickg

Hi, more sharing information than asking for answers.

Recently my GS 1150 Adv started giving trouble on the rear brakes. The would be fine at the beginngin of a journey, but as it progresssed and as everything got hotter and hotter, so too the rear brakes became more and more bound together. The wrning lights would eventually flash and the bike would grind along.

I would then have to switch off the engine and restart the bike - and the brakes would release.

As you can imagine this sounded verrrryyyy serious - like the abs going....

so I got new brake pads all round for the bike, replaced them and thoroughly cleaned the calipers. Put it all back together....and still the same binding brakes ! !!

Now with a sense of dread I rang motorworks for some advice and went through these forums. Motor works just said ... be afraid , be very afraid!!!! thats a £1000 + bill youre looking at. and the forums seemed to say the same thing.

Anyway this afternoon I tried one more thing.

I removed the rear abs sensor and on it was a load of metal filings. I cleaned them off. Did the same to the front wheel. AND BINGO !!!! it worked perfectly !

no binding, abs doing what it should and one relieved owner! Phew!

the point - check those sensors, they seem to be the cause of much heart ache and if you are unlucky enough to have real ABS problems after testing every possibility, then look at being fleeced by your BMW dealer for £1k +

Its a great reason to keep away from 'blackbox' ABS.

Result,but....where did those metal filings on the ABS ring come from.Was it touching something?.

How about telling us if the bike is a servo braked model, or standard brakes -

more on the brake problem

its a servo assisted version

and no the top of the sensor wasnt touching the wheel - I suspect the filings came from the brake pads wearing down (they only had about 2-3 mm left) and from general 'crap' from the roads. The front sensor also had a small amount of metal debris.

these would be the equivalent of metal filings from cutting something with a hacksaw. Small....

I hope you guys dont come back to me and suggest it s knackered ! - i've already had such a headache with this

thanks

Nick

Back
Top Bottom