Where's the exe 525's and 450's

Deadskin

Reaction score
Not interested in a 950 been there got the t shirt blah blah grumble grumble,
I'm thinking of getting a 525 or a 450 or even a 400 for a bit of off road fun
my head says DRZ but my heart says KTM :bounce1

Any advice appreciated :rob

different fish

i have a 525 racing, and a jap trail bike, not a drz, they R v/different fish, what do you want to do with them, what sort of off road riding ability do U have, track days or trail/green lane, guess ya already know this, so get the KTM, awesome bikes! :clap :nenau :clap :nenau :clap regards Dusan:thumb

KTM for monster work, ripping it up like a loon and paying big money for maintenance.

DRZ for bullet proof reliability, good solid fun and DIY servicing cheaply.

Unless you're a riding god or just have to have the blingest bike, the DRZ will still be better than you are and a much better buy.

Then again, the KTM will make you grin more .

:nenau

Nice 'n' Fat said:
I've had both ....... I'm on my 2nd 525 now and wouldn't be without it :D

Popped into Sideways ktm to have a look unfortunately they've employed
the worst salesman ever to walk this earth didn't know nowt about the bikes :tosser

Had a chat with the mechanic who saved the day and gave plenty of
useful advice :thumb

I fancy a 525 XC :bounce1

Attachments

• 13878_f9f81dc14a9de0_o.jpg
    13878_f9f81dc14a9de0_o.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 488
Dusan said:
Beutiful! Loose alot of dosh if ya buy knew, what about second hand? Get a goodun for under 3K, i did! + supa moto wheels n tyres! :thumb

Deffo second hand ;)
an 05 525 exc or a mxc would do nicely :beerjug:

Be careful with a 525 especially the MXC, although the big cc is appealling they can can be a handfull I know two people who have swapped them for 400's.

Noel said:
Be careful with a 525 especially the MXC, although the big cc is appealling they can can be a handfull I know two people who have swapped them for 400's.

Is that weight or power i've been told the 525 has a smooth power delivery

and the mxc had a bigger tank and a taller top gear

I'm all ears :thumb

?

I would have thought the mxc had a smaller tank and lower gearing, as it's the motocrosser, don't take it as correct, just seams like it to me, try some of the KTM sites, :thumb
According to the manual exc top gear =26:21, and the mxc21:18
if that helps, just checked some more, front rear sprocket teeth, exc= f15/r40 tooth, mxc= f14/r48, so fink deat makes mxc lower geared for acceleration, but looks like you were correct on tank size, exc=8ltr's and mxc=13ltr's, sorry i could't find weight in the manual, regards Dusan :thumb

The MXC Desert Racer has been replaced by the XC as shown in the photograph above. There is virtually no difference between the MXC and the XC apart from the usual year on year mods to clutch and ancilleries etc etc

The bike above is an 07 model year XC (black rims) The moto cross bikes have a four speed box, no lights (not road legal) no starter motor (unless it's one of the brand new 450's with the twin cam motor) and an SX model code designation

The MXC or XC has the same first four ratios as the SX bikes and the top two gears from the EXC Enduro. I used to own an 04my MXC and currently have an 06my XC which cost me £4750 at the end of last June. 525's are awesome end of. I've seen an indicated 92mph across Salisbury Plain and the thing was still charging like Rhino with a hard on :eek:

Servicing is expensive (fully synthetic oil only and two oil filters every 15 hours) and can be time consuming untill you get into the swing of things but is without doubt a theraputic experience. I know loads of people with KTM's and yet I can't think of one who has had a serious problem with one. They are well engineered and use all the best components and let's face it who (apart from David Knight) could ever give a 525 a hard time :nenau

I was told by a mate that a 525 is "just like a DRZ400 but with a bit more power" Clearly he is a liar. Actually, a 525 is just like a DRZ400 but with loads more power :D

The MCX/XC is a brilliant bike :thumb and the 13 litre tank and standard cooling fan means no chance of an overheating motor and a 100 mile range before even needing to think of fiddling for reserve. It's got a BIG old lazy motor that can lug along all day in the higher gears then pull out of corners and uphills without even having to bother to change down :clap

I've ridden a mates 450 and found it hard work. The bike go's like stink than when you think that's it it go's again just like a two stroke. I couldn't get on with it and was glad to get back on my 525. Yes they are a handful and yes you could get caught out on one especially riding in the ruts as one tiny tweak of the throttle can result in some very rapid acceleration :eek:

My 450 riding buddy who does lots of enduros summed up KTM ownership as "a bit like cheating" The bike is so good and so forgiving it can make an average rider look brilliant. He has even been know to win the odd race and he's an old bastard just on a brilliant bike :D

KTM's are a truely superb bit of kit :bounce1

06 525 are about 4.5k,400about 4.1k,same as 07's apart from black rim's

i'm on my 3rd 525,never had a problem,my mate runs a 540!! in his quad,the motor was raced for 2 years in his solo before and the only trouble in that time was with the alternator,they can be a handfull when your fecked in a race but the fun factor the rest of the time is worth it,xr dr etc are good trail bikes but the ktm's are race bike's.....loz

BTW fit the clutch saver and the fan kit on your 4st ktm,it's only £70 ish and the wiring is already there

Back
Top Bottom