City Navigator Australia

Larry

Following on from this informative thread:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80729&highlight=Australia

I'm after a bit of advice from the GPS experts or maybe even a massive favour from any of the Sydney based GS'ers.

I'll be over in Oz in the early part of next year and doing a fair bit of driving in NSW and Victoria during the last two two weeks of Feb.

I've thought of taking my Garmin 2610 GPS with me and purchasing City Navigator Australia to load on to ease the burden in the cities. On previous visits I've coped well with a mapbook but hell, I like gadgets and I'll have a few places I have to be at at the right time.

I'm aware of the issues around basemaps but my understanding is that with the right City Navigator loaded the unit should still navigate me between two points although the zoomed out display may suffer some.

On the above thread there was mention of loading Worldmap as it is supposedly the same as the current Pacific basemap (or the Australian bit is anyway). Anyone know if this is still the case and how I go about acquiring (Garmin download?), installing and getting the unit to read Worldmap as the basemap when in Oz?

Now here's the big ask. Would anyone based in or around Sydney be prepared to lend me a 2610 or similar with the relevevant maps loaded for a couple of weeks with my 2610 or some cash left as a deposit? This seems like the easiest/cheapest option at the mo as City Navigator Australia is about £300 to buy over here and about £150 and a load of hassle to buy in Oz and then get someone to post to me. All for what appears to be about 150MB of data if I've read it right? The unit would be used only in a car.

Another option is to borrow someone's CF card with City Navigator Australia already loaded. Is it possible to transfer cards between units like this or does the unlock code become unique to a single unit? If it is possible, anyone able to lend me a pre-loaded card? Is it even possible to copy a card and use it in a different unit?

Loads of questions I know and a huge ask but if anyone is able to help with any of the above I'd be most grateful. Did look at getting a hire car with Sat Nav but that one is out of my hands unfortunately. Of course, I still have my mapbooks and that is always the cheapest option!

Cheers.

Auto routing on the base map will be truly awful, if my trip back up through France is anything to go by. :(

World Map will go on your GPS but probably won’t be much better than the base map.

What you really need is City Navigator Australia (not the NT version) unlocked to your 2610, that will work perfectly.

You could ask if anyone has a second unlock and disks they would be willing to trade, I know that’s against Garmin policy, :rob but I have shared unlocks with 2 mates and Garmin were ok about it.

Hi Ebbo,

Thanks for the reply. My plan is to use City Navigator Australia, albeit with the 'wrong' basemap. I'm just wondering how effective this will be and if there is a cheap way do to it.

The shared unlock code thing sounds interesting. Can the maps be unlocked to two seperate units then?

Larry said:
Hi Ebbo,

Thanks for the reply. My plan is to use City Navigator Australia, albeit with the 'wrong' basemap. I'm just wondering how effective this will be and if there is a cheap way do to it.

The shared unlock code thing sounds interesting. Can the maps be unlocked to two seperate units then?

Larry

I can help re the WorldMap (see e-mail).

Load the Aussie CN and WorldMap. The 2610 will do all the route calculations using the CN, but, if you use autozoom, the 2610 will display WorldMap at low zoom levels. To all intents and purposes, it will be the same as having a Pacific basemap.

Greg

Cheers Greg,

Figured that would be the case. Will the unit automatically use Worldmap as it's basemap when outside of Europe if loaded?

Don't have a spare Australia CN lying around do you?

Do you know if it is possible to unlock a copy of Australia CN to more than one unit (just in case anyone should have one knocking around...)?

Yes, once purchased, the mapping can be unlocked to two GPS’s and that’s it, no more. Garmin have it well locked up, and as far as I know, know one has ever cracked the code. :rob

ebbo said:
..You could ask if anyone has a second unlock and disks.. I know that’s against Garmin policy, but I have shared unlocks with 2 mates and Garmin were ok about it.
Read your post with interest, but can I ask how you know they were happy about it, eg did you ask them? I am in a similar position regarding my Poland maps - every time I look at them in Mapsource, I get a pop-up message saying that I haven't used my 2nd unlock code. I would love to sell it, but I just assumed that the company would not be willing.

Larry said:
.. City Navigator Australia is about £300 to buy over here and about £150 and a load of hassle to buy in Oz and then get someone to post to me...
Just a thought, but have you tried buying the last but 1 version, which should be a lot cheaper. I used CN Version 7 last May to get me back from Poland (I couldn't get Version 8 on Mapsource as my old computer can't read DVDs) and had no problems at all with the older version. I know that some of us can get worked up about the very latest GPS maps, but wouldn't think twice about using a paper map that was 10 yrs old. :nenau

If you can't borrow one, another option may be to buy a cheap SPIII from Australia (or another cheap GPS which uses CN Australia) and use the 2nd unlock code from that. Never done it myself mind you - so this could be a blx. If you were tempted to do that, I would check with someone who knows more before parting with your cash, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. :thumb

Taff said:
Read your post with interest, but can I ask how you know they were happy about it, eg did you ask them? I am in a similar position regarding my Poland maps - every time I look at them in Mapsource, I get a pop-up message saying that I haven't used my 2nd unlock code. I would love to sell it, but I just assumed that the company would not be willing.
A friend with a 60cs was sharing City Select with me. Unknown to me he sent the 60cs in for repair (loose USB port) Garmin sent him a new GPS, but then he found it wouldn’t work with his current unlock code. So he rang Garmin and told them his problem, also explaining he was using my second unlock, Garmin gave him another unlock code for his new 60cs.

If Garmin really wanted to stop you sharing mapping, they could block release of unlock codes to GPS’s not registered to you.

OK, I've been lurking here for a while, more interested in biking GPS than a GS as I own, and am happy with, a VFR (incoming :spitfire ), the dark side has yet to beckon. However, this thread has prompted me to register.

Larry, have you heard about Metrowizz, it should allow you to make Metroguide mapping routeable on your Garmin. Might miss a few niceties such as it telling you to "turn right" at a roundabout instead of "take the third exit" but will be a darn sight cheaper than buying City Navigator Aus. The site above only makes mention of MetroGuide North America and Europe but would be worth investigating if it will work with MG Aus.

Bumpkin said:
OK, I've been lurking here for a while, more interested in biking GPS than a GS as I own, and am happy with, a VFR (incoming :spitfire ), the dark side has yet to beckon. However, this thread has prompted me to register.

Larry, have you heard about Metrowizz, it should allow you to make Metroguide mapping routeable on your Garmin. Might miss a few niceties such as it telling you to "turn right" at a roundabout instead of "take the third exit" but will be a darn sight cheaper than buying City Navigator Aus. The site above only makes mention of MetroGuide North America and Europe but would be worth investigating if it will work with MG Aus.
Cheers Bumpkin, never heard of that one, so there’s something to try.
And don’t worry about riding a VFR, this is (I hope) primarily a GPS forum.

....another option may be to buy a cheap SPIII from Australia ....

you don't live here do you

:jes

http://search.ebay.com.au/streetpil...rgnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ2QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZunknown

I'll go halves with you on CN7 if you like - it'll work perfectly well on your 2610 - just bring it along.
I bought my sp3 in the uk - loaded CN4 on it and it works perfectly - never had a problem.
All this basemap bollox is only for when you go off the edge of your loaded maps and the unit defaults to its last resort.

CN7 is $180 - £40~ can't go wrong. You're allowed to use the maps on 2 units.

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/garmin_mapping_cnv7.htm

By the way - there ain't that many roads here that you'll get lost ;)

A full version of City Navigator Australia v7 is AU$349

MetroWizz will not help you as MetroGuide Australia does not perform autorouting on the PC (data is not there) and also you need to unlock MGA to your unit.
MetroGuide Australia v6 is AU$175

A certain GPS shop is 10 miuntes from Sydney airport;
http://www.gpsoz.com.au/sp_map.htm

ebbo said:
.. If Garmin really wanted to stop you sharing mapping, they could block release of unlock codes to GPS’s not registered to you.
Thanks ebbo. Thinking about it, the only ones I can imagine could kick up a stink would be the company that I bought the maps from, not Garmin. I may send them an e-mail asking them outright if I could flog the 2nd unlock code or not. :thumb

Sorry for the slight hijack.

BurnieM said:
MetroWizz will not help you as MetroGuide Australia does not perform autorouting on the PC (data is not there) and also you need to unlock MGA to your unit.
Oh well, you learn something every day as they say, sorry to mislead :blush

motomartin said:

I'll go halves with you on CN7 if you like - it'll work perfectly well on your 2610 - just bring it along.
I bought my sp3 in the uk - loaded CN4 on it and it works perfectly - never had a problem.
All this basemap bollox is only for when you go off the edge of your loaded maps and the unit defaults to its last resort.

CN7 is $180 - £40~ can't go wrong. You're allowed to use the maps on 2 units.

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/garmin_mapping_cnv7.htm

By the way - there ain't that many roads here that you'll get lost ;)

Could be interested in that idea. Would I not need to have the full version of CN7 ($350) though rather than the upgrade?

Either way, it would be a good way to bring the costs down and I like that. Would it be a matter of just plugging my 2610 into your computer or do you send me a copy of the disc/CF card?

The offer is much appreciated however it's done!

Want the GPS more for the cities than anything. Never really had too many problems driving between places and am not too bad getting around Sydney. Little bit less familiar with the places I haven't visited too often.

bin thinking about this ....

I'm not sure - you'd have to check somehow - wether or not you need a 'working' copy of an older version of CN.

if you just load an old copy on wihout an unlock code- then do the upgrade - will it work ??

I'm on someone elses 2nd unlock code ( AdamZ)

perhaps BernieM could elaborate ??

You need an unlock code for your serial number unit.

If you had the original unlock code for City Nav Aus v4 (June 2002) and the second code was not used then you could unlock a second unit for v4 (free) and load that.

If you wanted to upgrade to v7 (current 2006) then that would cost US$125 (approx AU$175).

Note that when you upgrade, you have to do it for the first unit you unlocked.
The second (free) unlock code can be generated for a different serial number unit to any second unit that you have unlocked before.
Clear as mud ?

So I think what you're saying is that I need to buy the full product rather than the upgrade version as I have no previous version loaded and MM has already used the second unlock code on his one?

Could still save a few quid here even if MM pays half the cost of what an upgrade would be and I pay the balance of the complete version. Would that still work for MM's unit and allow us both to install CN7?

Back
Top Bottom