Riding on gravel!!

Warthog

Reaction score
Reliving bike trips whilst sat at my desk....
Any pointers on how this is done?

As I am new to anything other than a gravel driveway, and my bike with passengers now weighs close to 450kg, I'm a bit apprehensive, and I have avoided any tracks like the plague so far (We're in Argentina, in case you are wondering), having already fallen off once already.

What is the best technique for riding two-up on gravel roads for any distances ) say about 300 miles of it!!

Cheers sheepishly from Patagonia

Warthog said:
What is the best technique for riding two-up on gravel roads for any distances ) say about 300 miles of it!!
Hi Nick, hope you are liking el campo, am enjoying your reports, ah yes the lovely ripio...

Ride relaxed, arms loose, don't stiffen up and grip the bars, just coax them, smooth throttle/shifting/braking. It seems obvious but concentrate, watch the surface, pick the best looking route, use your body weight, standing on the pegs can help (even two-up) in uncertain bits for better vision and balance. Let the front wheel wander and find its own way, a sensation that makes you feel you are NOT in control, you can sort of get used to it, but it always feels edgy.

There is a certain speed on thick loose gravel, (on the G/S loaded, two-up it tends to be around 40-45 mph) where there is a smooth zone which is fast enough to feel you are making progress, whilst the whole machine is floating and waggling gently to and fro, but steering predictably. Slower speed is more bumpy, twitchy steering and not as fluid, higher speeds just make you need clean underpants! :eek:

Every rider/machine combination will be different, but try things out gently and see what feels best to you. On light gravel it may feel good and steady enough at 60-65 plus tho' that can be just for a short bit before the gravel gets a bit thicker and you have to slow back down.

Problem is you can never relax, you are always scanning ahead to spot deep gravel/potholes etc so any distance on ripio is very tiring. Take frequent coffee/meal stops and don't do too much mileage. When you have the option, take the better route with tarmac rather than the dirt some days, it is supposed to be fun...!!
Suerte en la ruta.. :thumb
Regards
Charlie

Gravel Rash!

Something like only 38% of Icelands roads are tarmac, the rest is gravel! I found my 1150GSA two up with 'full' luggage was quite stable, all the weight made it more planted in the gravel. the worst sort was the deep stuff, keeping the speed down and gently increasing the throttle kept the front 'up' a bit gave more control. On some gravel you could ride at 90plus kph no problem but that could change in an instant and looking ahead made all the difference. Riding into deeper or newly graded gravel was pretty hairy and gently reducing the speed by easing off the throttle slowed us enough to be comfortable but you always had to be wary, finding the foot wide firm car tyre track on the road was the best place to ride as it was usually firm but six inches to either side and you could easily be in deeper stuff!

As Charlie says try to stay relaxed and do every thing smoothly, you'll soon get used to it and react to the ever changing gravel, it is very tiring compared to asphalt but you do get used to the vague out of control front end feeling. I'm sure after riding 300 miles of Patagonian gravel you'll have no worries whatsoever! :thumb

Simple really:

1 - Look up & ahead, not at your front wheel
2 - Turn off your ABS and be gentle on the brakes
3 - practice
4 - er that's it

Good Luck there :thumb

And riding on gravel??? Don't worry too much you'll get used to it...and quickly :D

Doors still opened in Brasil should you change your mind :p

Back
Top Bottom