R100GS electrickery

Status
Not open for further replies.

(RIP) Perryhill

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having transferred over to a '93 GSPD from a standard '91 GS, one of the key differences (apart from the tank) is that the charge light no longer glows whilst waiting at junctions. On the GS I needed to keep the revs up to keep it off whereas on the PD it sits quite happily at tick over with the headlight on.

The question is: is it likely there a problem with the old bike's charging system (although I've been told 'they all do that') or is my newer bike equiped with a higher output (and if so how can I tell?). As I ride throughout the dark winter nights, I'd like to fit additional lights if possible but would never have dared to do so on the old bike.

A secondary question is where can I get a higher output sidelight and can you up the output of the standard headlight?

Really appreciate guidence on this
Neville

The charge lights probably blown :D

If you take the tank off and have a look at the regulator; the standard one has a Red top but some of the guys fit a high output (14V) intended for police use - these have a black top.

Assuming thre charge light does come on when you first switch the ignition on,don`t worry about it.

Don`t worry about adding extra lights such as spots because my LegoBike has no trouble with the stock alternator and it`s got twin Cibie 60w55 headlamps and two 55w spots.....though I don`t use my lights in the daytime.

I wouldn`t fit a higher wattage headlamp to the stock loom though,unless you want a fry-up...the stock wiring is only in the order of 0.5mm cable and not up to it long term.....you`ll have to fit a relay and run a seperate supply.

Pilot lamp bulbs should be available from any auto supplier as well as most bike shops.

maybe the tickover's higher on the PD, or the alternator wiring is in better nick?

cookie said:
maybe the tickover's higher on the PD, or the alternator wiring is in better nick?

Yep,I was thinking the same thing. :thumb
Maybe a cleaning of the rotor rings with a pencil eraser would help charging too,worked for me many a times. Especially after new installation of new brushes.

I've run two 55watt lights for extra light on dark back roads. Prior to parking the bike,I'd shut off the extra lights about 5 minutes before my destination and let the battery get a good charge. Maybe it did something maybe it didn't but I never had a starting problem from a low battery.
On another airhead,I also installed the "Authority Model" volt regulator which allows maximum charging at a lower RPM. Not an "increase in voltage" as others would think. Maximum charging is achieved at such n such RPM's, hense the glowing at idle or what you call tick over. Raise the engine RPM's and the charging increases.

bmwrich58 said:
On another airhead,I also installed the "Authority Model" volt regulator which allows maximum charging at a lower RPM. Not an "increase in voltage" as others would think.

any idea how that might work, how does it know what revs the engine is doing?

i thought it just charged at 14.2v as opposed to 13.8v (from memory) :nenau

cookie said:
Questions, questions...no the tickover is the same and the light does come on but I can't comment on the wiring. I just go ahead and be thankful I can install additional lights! :)
Neville

They all vary slightly to what revs the light goes out.

Don't try to keep the light out if your stationary, it's nothing to worry about.

I try to have my own airheads tick over at 700-800 rpm, and the light always comes on - never had any trouble in 26 years :confused:

Here we go again, another first hand experience, another opinion; like arses we all have one and they're all different.

My '93 PD runs with a 'Police Spec' regulator but no other improvements in the electricary department (yet).

A couple of years ago I fitted a pair of 55w Hella DE fogs and running this with my dipped headlight (and maybe the grips on warm) resulted in a flat battery. Cookie should remember this as he was with me at the time and had the job of riding the bike on the shit and mud-strewn road while a couple of us bumped the bike.

I ran it with the voltmeter of my GPS running and we could see with the toys on the alternator could only charge the battery above 5k RPM, I took them off as much of my riding meant riding below this and I don't like a flat battery on a bike, kind of spoils things for me.

I am now looking at a HID conversion for my headlight as these only draw 35w and there's only one of them; the alternative is a Moto-Elektrik 400W alternator kit and then the fill yer boots with electrical load :thumb

My airhead idles too high but this was to compensate for another problem which has now been sorted,one day I'll drop the idle speed and get it down a bit. But as has been said if it comes on when you turn the key and then it goes off when you run the bike (irrespective of the engine speed) you have no real problems to worry about (which is just as well as there'll be another problem around the corner :D

judge said:
I ran it with the voltmeter of my GPS running and we could see with the toys on the alternator could only charge the battery above 5k RPM,:D

Gee and I thought GPSs just help you find places that weren't lost! At least that what the instructions on my Quest seem to suggest - what model has a voltmeter?

Perryhill said:
Gee and I thought GPSs just help you find places that weren't lost! At least that what the instructions on my Quest seem to suggest - what model has a voltmeter?

My ancient, no frills, non turn-by-turn routing, non speaking, non colour, detailed maps free GPS III (note not a Streetpilot), fantastic versatile little unit but now long discontinued with helpful little features like a voltmeter.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsIII/

judge said:
My ancient, no frills, non turn-by-turn routing, non speaking, non colour, detailed maps free GPS III (note not a Streetpilot), fantastic versatile little unit but now long discontinued with helpful little features like a voltmeter.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsIII/

Bullshit.

Anybody else would be to embarrased to be seen with one of those strapped to the handlebars. Tightwad :D

A secondary question is where can I get a higher output sidelight and can you up the output of the standard headlight?

Really appreciate guidence on this
Neville

Neville,

I use a 20watt halogen sidelight bulb as a 'day running light' as it saves the headlight and has a lower current drain. Its bright enough for day use.

I get them from Vehicle Wiring Products, its their part no. 433 (BA9 Halogen).

See here:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/lighting/bulbs.php

Beware those sold by Halfords - they look the same but have offset pins !

Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom