TomTom Installs to 1150GS Adventure and Similar

zerocool

Reaction score
Im interested in seeing how others have installed thier TomTom Rider to thier 1150GS'.

Photos would be ideal if anybody has got them, mine will get installed very soon so Ide like to see how others have done it so I can plan my install.

the ZC

Last edited:
ZC,

Here are some pictures of the Motorrad Concepts mount fitted to my 1150GS. It's a good looking well made bit of kit.

Iain

Attachments

• P1010081take4.JPG
    P1010081take4.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,012
  • P1010082take2.JPG
    P1010082take2.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 420
  • P1010083take2.JPG
    P1010083take2.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 411
  • P1010084take2.JPG
    P1010084take2.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 433
  • P1010085take2.JPG
    P1010085take2.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 419
judge said:
no more relying on Tom Tom brackets that fail
I may be mistaken but isn't it the TomTom cradle that fails, the Motorrad Concepts mount still appears to use that :nenau

judge said:
Motorrad Concepts seem to have got this one cracked - no more relying on Tom Tom brackets that fail

A collaboration between MC and MiGSel - it looks the dogs doo-dahs :thumb

http://www.motorradconcepts.com/bmwr1150gs.htm#1150gstomtom

I really dont fancy spending 100 quid on a mounting bracket. Its would have to do something alot more than hold a GPS to make it worth all that cash!

Is there not a cheaper solution, Im Scottish so im inheritantly tight! :D

the ZC

zerocool said:
Is there not a cheaper solution, Im Scottish so im inheritantly tight! :D the ZC

As detailed many times, use a RAM-B-149Z or RAM-B-149ZA (short arm) , the latter on a 12GS on the oval rail. Attach the diamond base to the TT Rider cradle and then strap it down with a lanyard.

Bumpkin said:
I may be mistaken but isn't it the TomTom cradle that fails, the Motorrad Concepts mount still appears to use that :nenau

:nenau If it is the TomTom cradle that fails I'm surprised it is still utilised by the 3rd party manufacturers, by now you would have thought the likes of RAM and Touratech would have come up with an alternative.

Does seem a bit odd to take well engineered components, as MC have and attach it to the weak point of the TomTom (namely the cradle) :nenau

Does anybody have a photo of the RAM-B-149Z and TomTom install?

Presumably it doesnt fit on the crossbar, it fits on the handlebar its self?

the ZC

judge said:
:nenau If it is the TomTom cradle that fails I'm surprised it is still utilised by the 3rd party manufacturers, by now you would have thought the likes of RAM and Touratech would have come up with an alternative.

Does seem a bit odd to take well engineered components, as MC have and attach it to the weak point of the TomTom (namely the cradle) :nenau
Reading here and elsewhere numerous reports of the cradle's grip on the unit not being secure enough due to its flexibility that arcing occurs between the power contacts which eventually burns them out.

I'm not standing on a soap box saying get a Garmin instead as I believe that the Rider is a good bike GPS, however, it looks like the cradle should have been better designed and tested. I understand there's a rumour that TomTom are speaking to a well known 3rd party mount manufacturer to design a better cradle.

judge said:
:nenau If it is the TomTom cradle that fails I'm surprised it is still utilised by the 3rd party manufacturers, by now you would have thought the likes of RAM and Touratech would have come up with an alternative.(namely the cradle) :nenau

I have linked this to http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84987 and the post on the cradle subject. I wish I could say more on the subject. Last I heard TT were on the phone.

RAM-man said:
I have linked this to http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84987 and the post on the cradle subject. I wish I could say more on the subject. Last I heard TT were on the phone.

So just to clarify as someone unconnected with any company - it looks like TT are asking R** for assistance with their cradle issues.

For the record I am a very satisfied Garmin customer and have no connection with TT or RA< or anyone else :D

RAM-man said:
As detailed many times, use a RAM-B-149Z or RAM-B-149ZA (short arm) , the latter on a 12GS on the oval rail. Attach the diamond base to the TT Rider cradle and then strap it down with a lanyard.

If you do this the chance of breaking the cradle is high which is exactly what happened to me!.......... using the two fixings instead of the 4 will result in the threaded sleeves being just breaking around the cradle. I was on the M25 with the tomtom in one hand trying to find a place to stop! :eek:

Am I right in saying that the motorrad concepts tomtom rider mount doesnt supply power to the tomtom, I cant see wires in any of the photos!!!

Surely this is no use for a decent tour!

Still not got a solution and the bike is due tomorrow and im planning to use the GPS on Sunday! :spitfire

Somebody please point me in the direction I need to be headed please!

the ZC

OK Stimulator :bow , im a numpter, just been looking at your photos you so kindly hosted and I can now see the cable.

Im still a little confused! :nenau Do you use the tomtom mount at all? Or does this new mount have a special mount for the TT?

Also I would like to know where you wired it to and if you wired it directly to the battery, did you find the cable was long enough?

regards and TIA :thumb

the ZC

I use the set up described by RAM man on my 12. During its six months use I have had no problems with it falling out of the cradle or the pins shorting out. This includes two long continental trips. I just check the fixings etc periodically and always make sure its fitted in the cradle correctly before setting off.

HPIM0750.jpg

TTR is spiced into aux socket next to the battery. Cable is long enough.

HPIM0773.jpg

HTH :)

zerocool said:
OK Stimulator :bow , im a numpter, just been looking at your photos you so kindly hosted and I can now see the cable.

Im still a little confused! :nenau Do you use the tomtom mount at all? Or does this new mount have a special mount for the TT?

Also I would like to know where you wired it to and if you wired it directly to the battery, did you find the cable was long enough?

regards and TIA :thumb

the ZC

Hi,

The TomTom ball from their mount is attached to the Motorrad Concepts mount, and the original TomTom cradle is still used. I have removed my toolkit and installed a Baehr intercom there - the power lead from the TomTom runs below the instruments, under the tank (no need to remove tank) and all the way back to where the tool tray used to be. Power is taken off the rear light. I see no reason why if you wanted to you couldn't take a power tap from the sidelight either.

Like Tricky, I've not had a problem with the Rider jumping out of the TomTom cradle or the cradle breaking, but there are signs of light pitting on the contacts. I have put a couple of pices of thin foam on the Rider, which seems to stop some of the movement. Although there is undoubtably a problem with the Rider mount, there must be some cases where the GPS hasn't been fitted in properly.

Iain

Good info, but my electrical isntall to fry electrics ration is quite high and im a little worried about cooking the install if I dont go straight to the battery. Could somebody post a photo indicating where I should wire upto?

Ide appreciate that greatly as it will probably save my GS!!! :D

Saying that, Rainbow are fitting me a autocom so I could just find where they have fitted it to and use that point although it may overload it all. AAAARGH!

I dunno, advice please...

oh, and BTW!!!! THE BIKE IS COMING TODAY!!! :clap :thumb :D :cool:

the ZC

zerocool said:
Good info, but my electrical isntall to fry electrics ration is quite high and im a little worried about cooking the install if I dont go straight to the battery. Could somebody post a photo indicating where I should wire upto?

Ide appreciate that greatly as it will probably save my GS!!! :D

Saying that, Rainbow are fitting me a autocom so I could just find where they have fitted it to and use that point although it may overload it all. AAAARGH!

I dunno, advice please...

oh, and BTW!!!! THE BIKE IS COMING TODAY!!! :clap :thumb :D :cool:

the ZC

If Rainbow are installing your Autocom, you could always ask them to splice in the TomTom power lead as well. Then you have the option of using the Rider on the supplied handlebar mount until you make up your mind on another bracket. I found that it fitted quite well just by the handlebar clamps, although it did slightly obscure the left indicator repeater.

:beerjug:

WAYHEY!!! TomTom is installed along with autocom and its all working! :thumb :clap :bow :bounce1 :thumb

Thanks for all your advice, in the end ive gone for the cheapo Scottish option! :D

Ive nipped into Rainbow BMW and the lad there showed me a plastic adaptop BMW manufacture that fits on the crossbar, he warned me it wouldnt fit TomTom as the holes are a few mm out, so out came the drill (used as a saw not a drill! :eek:) and I "moved" the holes. Now it seems pretty well mounted on the cross bar and when moved all the way to the side, my cross bar pad still fits, JUST!

So I dunno how much it cost in total but its a damn sight cheaper than any other option I have found.

And I cheated on the install!!! :nono BMW just fitted the autocom and as per my request they fitted to the ignition loom so that it only comes on with the key, so i tracked thier wiring and jacked in! :D So now they both work of the key. :clap

Ill fully test the install tomorrow on a rideout and hope my leccie job doesnt get me in the deep end!

Ill put photos and part numbers up for anybody else that wants to copy me.

Again thanks to all who inputted, I may still take some of your advice if I dont like this mount.

the ZC

Back
Top Bottom