Garmin, OS and MemoryMap Grrrrr....

Nin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi people,

Don't know if I shuold post this here, in rant or the pub ...

I've invested in a shiny new 2610. I've installed drivers and plugged it into my PC. I've played with Mapsource - all very nice.

Then I try and load all the tracks I've created in my 2004 version of Memorymap. Er, it can't find the GPS.

So it seems, after plenty of wasted time, that the 2610 won't talk to v4 Memorymap becasue it works through a USB.

I talked to Memorymap. "If sir would ike to pay £60 for an upgrade to v5, sir would be bale to connect his Garmin to our software" Actually, no, thanks

Any ideas anyone?

Nin

You could use a conversion program like GPS Utility to convert your tracks from Memory Map files to MapSource files (.gdb), and then use MapSource to transfer them to the GPS.

http://www.gpsu.co.uk/

Or, in fact, just use GPSU to load the MM files and upload to the GPS directly.

It's a useful little program, but it is shareware, so you have to pay for the full version.

Cheers Mouse - that's exactly what I was after.

Basically over the winter my plan is to a copy of the defintive map, trace out the legal tracks on Memorymap, then dump them into my Garmin.

Nin

Mouse said:
You could use a conversion program like GPS Utility to convert your tracks from Memory Map files to MapSource files (.gdb), and then use MapSource to transfer them to the GPS.

http://www.gpsu.co.uk/

Or, in fact, just use GPSU to load the MM files and upload to the GPS directly.

It's a useful little program, but it is shareware, so you have to pay for the full version.

I just downloaded MM V5 and my old licence worked fine - it's your old maps that don't work but there's a work-around that.

Each map file has the words Crown Copyright embedded in the code, just use a hex editer (Hackman) and change the Crown to Clown, the maps will then work in any version of MM.

You can also export your MM files as GPS eXchange files (.gpx) and then import them into mapsource.

Bob Jeffries said:
I just downloaded MM V5 and my old licence worked fine - it's your old maps that don't work but there's a work-around that.

Each map file has the words Crown Copyright embedded in the code, just use a hex editer (Hackman) and change the Crown to Clown, the maps will then work in any version of MM.

You can also export your MM files as GPS eXchange files (.gpx) and then import them into mapsource.

Cheers Bob!

Simon

Back
Top Bottom