TT Rider shut down

too loud man

Reaction score
Experiencing an annoying problem with my `Rider, en route to NEC yesterday with `Rider plugged into accessory socket on my 1200 GSA, all fine and dandy for an hour then total shut down :spitfire Fine, probably some issue with the power socket which is well documented. Pull into Michaelwood services and undock switch back on and everything lost, no favourites, no recent destination and no home :spitfire :spitfire . Reset and away we go on TomTom power only, 30 mins later and it happens again, unbelievable.

If anyone else had this problem, is it a software thing?, have just downloaded version 6.15 which apparently solves a power sensitivity issue on the 3/5/700 models. Will this sort it?

Cheers

Mark

Mark, not sure if my problems were the same, but anyway ... cutting a long story short the European SD card I had in the TT (nearly full price, off ebay) was the culprit. I ended up buying a Sandisk Ultra 2G card and loading that with the full maps for the issue to go away.

The symptoms for me was that the Ride would freeze or just turn off, indicating power or s/w but turned out to be a dodgy SD card. I did get a replacement from the Ebay seller (at his disgust) and had the same problem.

Like I say, not sure if its your problem, but freezing and/loss of power was SD card for me. When it happened a reset was the only option. It ruined 2 European trips for me before I sussed it.

Eunuch said:
Mark, not sure if my problems were the same, but anyway ... cutting a long story short the European SD card I had in the TT (nearly full price, off ebay) was the culprit. I ended up buying a Sandisk Ultra 2G card and loading that with the full maps for the issue to go away.

The symptoms for me was that the Ride would freeze or just turn off, indicating power or s/w but turned out to be a dodgy SD card. I did get a replacement from the Ebay seller (at his disgust) and had the same problem.

Interesting claim here that 95% of eBay SD cards are fakes

Thanks Daz,
I`m still waiting for a reply from TomTom customer support, however its interesting to note it was your SD card. When mine shut down, it would show an animated picture of the tomtom with the SD card flying out of it and a big red cross going thru it.
I guess i`ll have to back up on the PC and load a new card.

Mark

Kritou said:
Interesting claim here that 95% of eBay SD cards are fakes

Kritou, I've seen that stuff and it has concerned me, particularly as I ended up buying another 2G card from Hong Kong (the ScanDisk Ultra .. bloody good cards) from ebay again to replace the "TT" one I bought from ebay. But the original ebay card was 2G, it just wasn't good quality and couldn't stand the vibration. Card worked fine in the car but not on the bike (either VFR VTEC or GS). The Sandisk has been 100% reliable.

too loud man said:
mine shut down, it would show an animated picture of the tomtom with the SD card flying out of it and a big red cross going thru it.
I got that about 50% of the time when I tried to restart without a reset. I ended up carrying around a pin so I could reset, even at the side of the motorway. Would happen 5-10 times a day.

Are you using the SD card supplied with the original TT or sourced from somewhere else? When I first called TT they said upgrade the s/w which was a reasonable request. If you've done that and its an official TT SD card the TT will have to look at it. If the SD card was sourced elsewhere I'd suggest looking at another good one. Borrow one if you have to to prove it is the card. The TT Home s/w will do the upgrades and allow you to backup the SD card you have now and restore it to anothre card. Thats how I moved everything across.

Either way I'd be interested to know what the problem really is.

too loud man said:
Thanks Daz,
I`m still waiting for a reply from TomTom customer support, however its interesting to note it was your SD card. When mine shut down, it would show an animated picture of the tomtom with the SD card flying out of it and a big red cross going thru it.
I guess i`ll have to back up on the PC and load a new card.

Mark

Exactly the problem I experienced, 100 miles into a trip to France etc :spitfire
Contacted TomTom and was told the card must be corrupted. Sent it back and received new/repaired card (not sure which) in a ten day return. Will now wait to see if I have the same problem again. Getting really pi**ed off with this.

JDH

Back
Top Bottom