Hafren Rally-10th Dec 2006

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anybody doing it??
Is a GS suitable or is it too difficult for it?
Fancy getting back into Rallye's but it was over 10 years since I last did the Cambrian

Tell me more please

The Hafren is an very good rally, I have ridden it for the past five years. Last year the course was excellent IMHO, but I would have to suggest that it could have been tricky in places for a GS. The HP2's made it look simple, and there are always a few of the bigger bikes in the entry. Very well run, friendly organisation, good craic in Llani the night before etc.
Such a pity that I can't do it this year :( :spitfire
Mark

I've sent off my entry form :D But I don't have a GS anymore, I have something a bit more ... orange.

But I went to watch last year and there were a couple of GSs going round, the course didn't look like anything a GS couldn't handle :)

See you there! Clive, are you coming too? :D

(edit - I defer to Earthmover's experience seeing as he has ridden the course and I haven't!)

I'm signed up :thumb :thumb

(Edit : Mouse - I'll be on Orange for this and not GS :D :D )

The Hafren is a great event but I would say that is one of the more 'challenging' events for a big bike. I cope ok on the 650 but thats only 1/2 a bike!. Fit the knobbliest tyres you can get.

Mouse said:
(edit - I defer to Earthmover's experience seeing as he has ridden the course and I haven't!)

Last year the scheduled 3 laps was cut to 2, as there was an unprecedented number of competitors with broken down bikes. This is less a reflection on the severity of the course, IMHO, as a lack of maintenance by the owners. Do not underestimate the effects of a couple of hours of high (relative) speed fire road blasting, interspersed with deep water and mud. Quite a few snapped or thrown chains were reported, along with some water related failures (splashed rather than immersed)
The special stages are where the more interesting sections are usually found. I really enjoyed it last year, but realistically would only have been able to complete one lap on the GS, as the bits that my 250 flies over, I would certainly have ambled gently through on my 1200. Maybe on someone else's I could try a bit harder :D Having not riden the KTM's, I can't really comment, but they do look more suited in the suspension department to the terrain I would expect in the Hafren.
Please feel free to prove me wrong! Good luck to all who are entering, I'll be thinking of you while I fulfill my family duty for the year :(
I will also be expecting to read some good write ups too!
Mark

Hafren

Im going, but never done owt like this.?????????????????????????????
DRzE 'ill be my steed.

JohnnyBoxer said:
Anybody doing it??
Is a GS suitable or is it too difficult for it?
Fancy getting back into Rallye's but it was over 10 years since I last did the Cambrian

Tell me more please

I have done the Hafren Rally on my G/S half a dozen times and not had any problems.

If there is heavy rain it can affect some of the going. Also if the Hafren Enduro, that was held earlier this year, was a wet enduro there may be deep ruts if some of the same part of the course is used for the Rally event as well. You can bottom-out on the pots and end up with your rear wheel not reaching the bottom of these ruts. Use the sighting lap to best advantage to pick out a good line.

If it is rutted and the weather is wet, remember that on a multi lap event the ruts will deepen and what was a favourite line may have to change. The stream crossings are usually ok and the organisers now monitor flash flooding and alter the course accordingly.

I always found the Hafren one of the most enjoyable rallies of the year. It is not as technical as the Dyfi Rally but more challenging than the Cambrian. I hope you also enjoy it and best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom