Discovery Moto Tours - Morocco ?

HR0

Reaction score
I have just got my copy of Motorcycle Sport and Leisure (MSL) magazine and my eye was caught by the brochure insert from http://www.discoverymototours.com/index.htm

I have started to think that using your own bike and doing one of the Moroccan trips looked like a good introduction to North African touring

I know it is not peanuts but £1600 or £1100 (booked before the end of year)
seems like a reasonable bet.

have you done it
what do you think
any alternatives
advice welcome

H

It depends on what you want to do when you are there and how long you have got.

At one extreme you have people like Kudu who offer minimum 4/5 week adventures on your own bike - anything from Morocco to full trans African trips.

There are plenty of off road guys who hire out bikes etc. after you've flown down there.

BMW themselves do a trip which takes two weeks and can be completed on any road legal bike (so no offroad) and stay in nice hotels.

You can always go yourself unsupported, or wait and see if a group from here is going and tag along.

Finally our very own Fanum runs Moto Morocco (http://moto-morocco.com/) and I'm off on his first commercial trip next week. He picks up your bike from you and trailers it down there, you can then book a flight to meet him a week later in Marrakech. You can visit his web site or PM him for details - and no I'm not being sponsored for this advert! :nono

Nice looking website. The 'own bike' costs are in the same ball park as the World of BMW tours as they don't include the ferry cost of getting to southern Spain.

Going with someone who really knows the country and understands the culture will hopefully give you a good experience. Others will undoubtedly say, "why not do it yourself" or indeed use Fanum's tour offerings: http://www.moto-morocco.com/

Tim

Mutley1150 said:
BMW themselves do a trip which takes two weeks and can be completed on any road legal bike (so no offroad) ........

Oh yeh?

They do you know.

Attachments

• LT.jpg
    LT.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 294
Mutley1150 said:
BMW themselves do a trip which takes two weeks and can be completed on any road legal bike (so no offroad) .............

Here's another one off-road.

Attachments

• rs.jpg
    rs.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 293
Also take a look at the intro for the World of BMW video for October 2005

HERE

Who was it that said "no off-road" ? This is optional though. :mmmm

And yes, they are VERY nice hotels. :D

Discovery Moto Tours are a new outfit and as such have not done any trips with paying punters, so good luck to them. However if you want to use your own bike, you still have to get it to the start in Southern Spain and get it back home. With ferry prices to north Spain from the UK and having to pay for your own hotels until you get to the the start of the tour, it works out much the same as the competing tour companies that use backup vehicles in Morocco. Such as Wildcat Adventures, World of BMW etc.

If you are looking at going on a budget why not let Bill (FANUM) take your bike down there, fly in to meet the bike and still have a great time!

I also saw their brochure, and chatted to the guys at the NEC - seemed like a decent bunch.

I think that their prices are reasonable, and if I was going to Thailand, for example, I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

But for Morocco, and especially as you're thinking of using your own bike, you can save a bit of money organising it yourself. It's not hard, and on this site there's enough Moroccco info to keep you reading or months!

If you like the idea of their back-up (and why wouldn't you) then maybe start a thread and see if anyone else is keen - it may be possible to get a small group together.

Whatever, do it!

Paul G
The other

I got one of these inserts with a bike magazine. I noticed there's no address or company name on either the brochure or the web site, just an 0870 telephone number. Also the terms and conditions currently read, "Our Terms & Conditions are currently being updated to reflect the new 2007/08 tours," so there's no detailed info available on, for example, cancellations or their repatriation policy.

I get nervous about such lack of transparency. Just who are you giving your booking deposit to? So I did some searching elsewhere and came up with the name Michael O'Neill, tel 01242 211505, email mjoneilluk@yahoo.co.uk The telephone code is the Cheltenham area.

Tim

Tim Cullis said:
I got one of these inserts with a bike magazine. I noticed there's no address or company name on either the brochure or the web site, just an 0870 telephone number.

Tim

That would concern me too, but it's on their website:

Discovery Moto Tours, 6 Parabola House, Parabola Road, Cheltenham GL50 3AH, UK

Greg

Back
Top Bottom