Autocom push to talk problems

GUZZZI

Reaction score
Hi, three freinds and I all bought autocom units back in the summer when they were selling off the older version at bargain prices. We all got the push to talk buttons too so nobody else had to suffer if someone else decided to sing allong with there mp3, all sounds great :) Untill it rained three of the four
started playing up to the point where we give up and took them out of the circuit. last week three of us went out in the rain and guess what mines doing the same now :spitfire. It appears the idear is great but the product has been made with all the quality I would expect from a cheep christmas cracker. Has anybody else had same/similar problems ???

GUZZZI said:
Has anybody else had same/similar problems ???

Yup - I too have ditched my autocom PTT due to problems with it in the rain. Its been back to autocom for repair but it failed again and so it now resides in the shed.

Generally speaking Autocom stuff is of good quality, but the PTT set up is just pants! I mean, look at the crappy fixing method alone with its 2 cable ties - it just looks like a bodge.

I had thought of trying to seal it a bit better, or even filling the casing with some sort of expanding foam to keep the water out. However, ridden most of this year using VOX alone, I'm in no rush - this seems to work perfectly for me. TBH you only really need PTT if you have a pillion and want to talk to them without transmitting.

How are you using the PTT switch?

I agree with the apparent (lack of) quality (mine packed up for a whilst riding in v. heavy rain, but only once). My PTT button also packed in. However, I now use the switch, flick it left to speak and then back to the centre when finished speaking. Works perfectly, so far regardless of weather.

I use PTT on my bike. I have starcom. Ive not had any trouble with it, but, my PTT is located on the handle bar on the left, which is protected by the handgaurd. maybe this has kept the water out :nenau

Back
Top Bottom