A little help please

MickDB1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello there, I am off to Maroc in January and would love some aswers to the following questions
1 Is a international licence nessesary ( I was told at a bike meet once that down south of Maroc police will only respect them and UK pinkies are no good )
2 Is it best to sort out a green card before travel or is it easy and faster to buy it at the border ( I would hate to sort it over here to have it poo pood on entry)
3 With money, do I take Yo-Yos, pounds, dollers
4 Do I need permits to take medicine in ( I have percriped drugs which I need daily )
5 Have you visited an area or place and said I wouldnt go there again ( I only have 14 days over there and an old G/S )
Thanks for any answers in advance - also as I am obviously a numpty can anyone point out a travel tip web page that is full of usefull info and not just weather crap and how to buy a carpet
cheers
Mick :thumb

1. International driving licence isn't essential BUT it looks alot more impressive than the green piece of paper and it has an arabic translation on it, so I would say yes for the sake of £5? take one.
2. I'ed try and get a green card before you go, it really depends on the Insurance company and the politics at the time but I'ed make the effort as at least you know its worth more than the papers its written on. In the past I have on different occasions got a green card from Carole Nash and bought at the border, I have never had to claim and so can't vouch for either but least you can get in contact with a UK insurance company easily from Morocco and the UK.
3. I'ed take some Euros and use the cash points for local cash. Just make sure you have enough local for petrol as you venture further south.
4. If you have perscription drugs then get a letter from your doctor stating that they are perscription and for your use, this is standard practice. If your drugs are provided by a third party such as healthcare at home just give them a call and they will do the letter for you. I had to take filled syringes last time I went and was a bit concerned but the chances of getting searched are very slim.
5. As far as places to avoid I would say that the drug capital in the north (I cant remember the name but Im sure someone will fill you in) is best avoided and then the best parts of Morocco are from Fez and Meknes south, it is from here that you feel like your in a totally different country and the people are just fantastic.

Have a great trip

Jim

re:Maroc

8 of us just arrived back from Maroc & it was great despite the flooded roads(torrential rain was worst they'd seen for years).Try to get insurance 'cos what they sell at the border is probably only worth the paper it's written on & it cost us 568 dirhams or £37 which don't inspire a lot of confidence!

Take both parts of your licence (paper & plastic).Take your log book as you'll need it at the border.

Take euros as if you run out of Dirhams they'll take euros at hotels and larger establishments.

2 of the lads who came with us had been before & got stones thrown at them whilst travelling through Meknes (Muslim religious learning centre) so we avoided it.Many smaller towns & villages have no accomodation available & they are sh*tholes so I would avoid planning to stay the night.The big drug area is around Chefchaouen but we encountered no trouble.You should visit Marakesh (2 days minimum to enjoy it properly).You should also go down to the desert for a couple of days to see the sunrise & sunset & maybe try your offroad skills or hire a quad!The Dades gorge is a must for the brilliant ride (lots of twisties) and the sheer beauty of the landscape.We were also going to do the Todra gorge but the floods washed the road out and it was closed.
If you visit Fez hire a guide and a taxi to show you the sites & the souk 'cos you'll get lost otherwise & the souk's full of dodgy characters plus you'll never find your way back out of the souk!Last but not least;we never had any problems off the locals who were always eager to help & were very polite to us.NEVER pay full price for anything but beer & accomodation!

REMEMBER:As you move down South they cease to have unleaded fuel so you'll be running on 4* for quite some time!
Finally;have a great time as we did.(Take plenty of diocalm). :thumb

Back
Top Bottom