Removing double ended studs

Wanderer

Reaction score
On my R90S the transmission is held onto the rear of the engine by four fasteners. Three are nut and nut/bolt type. However, the fourth is a double ended stud. The stud screws into the back of the engine, with the middle smooth shank and other threaded end sticking out. On the corner of the transmission is a hole through which you thread the sticking out part of the double ended stud. (Does that make sense?)

Anyhow, is there a speacial tool available for inserting and removing double ended studs? My main reason for asking is that removing this stud whilst the tranny was in place would have made its removal far easier (space behind the trannny is at a premium).

Is a stud extractor the proper tool?

With the stud and tranny in place, all you can see is one end of the double ended stud thread. Any tool would just have this to work on.

Many thanks for any advice

nuts...

Will, if I have understood...a number of back shed possiblities...
If you have enough stud thread showing you can put on two nuts (perhaps machine two nuts slim enough to fit), lock them together so neither can move and then apply spanner to the inside nut to try and remove and hopefully the stud may come out.
Another idea if really short of space is to screw on a single nut and tack it with a welder so it cannot spin on the stud. Again use spanner to turn the nut and the stud should hopefully come off. When removed it should be easy enough to repair the stud and re use when needed.
Alternatively grab the nut with a 'farmer's friend' (vice grips, mole grips) and it may come off and repair the tread with a thread file or die nut after.
Hope this is of some use.

studs

Hi there , one trick if the stud threaded part sticks out far enough is to screw two nuts onto the threaded part tighten them together (not against the casing) and try to screw the stud out that way .I have removed many studs this way over the years
Good luck Hovis :thumb

Whilst apart, saw a slot across the stud end to enable the "future" removal using a screw driver....... :nenau

Machine mart do a very nice looking stud puller that uses a camlock action to grip the threads, they grip tighter the more pressure you put on the ratchet.

Mind you, first time I used my set resulted in me buying a new exhaust manifold for my old Landy as the 'teeth' shreaded the threads on the stud. Probably would have been better off using two nuts :eek:

try the locknut method mentioned above. if that doesn't work get it out with vice grips & make/buy a new one to replace it.

if it's really stuck, heat the ally, but it will probably come straight out with lock nuts.

Back
Top Bottom