darkhorse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
been looking for new KTM, however been offered a good deal on a Yamaha WR450

Anyone know anything about them

darkhorse said:
been looking for new KTM, however been offered a good deal on a Yamaha WR450

Anyone know anything about them

Very good bike although personally i prefer the KTM(own a 450exc).
The only problem i have found.....during rideouts i have witnessed(with ALL WR's)that they do NOT like water crossings.I guess there are some modifications such as breather pipe re route etc to get them to like water crossings??
As i say though.....they are a good bike with soft,plush suspension.

my mate races one and as far as i know there's no major issues with his!

erm guess that as good as no help really :eek:

sorry :beerjug:

buy it you will love it :thumb

better than a KTM becouse they have stupid service schedules like EVERY 15 hours or something rediculas

But i believe the valves are part of routine servicing :eek:

Depends what you want from an off-roader.
Written service schedules mean nothing, KTM's or Yamaha's alike will eat valves and cylinder heads if they are run too long out of tolerance, neither will be cheap to repair. Any half decent spanner twiddler can check valve clearances in half an hour (me for instance!)
The Yam will be more stable at speed than the equivalent KTM, but the KTM will corner better. KTM's suspension will as a rule, be harder than that of the Yam, but for a days green laning that could be too harsh.
The Yam "feels" heavier, despite there being little in it on the scales, more top heavy, possibly.
One's blue, the others orange. Yam plastics fade and look sh*te very quickly, but that doesn't affect how they ride!
You pays your money....
Mark

earthmover said:
Depends what you want from an off-roader.
Written service schedules mean nothing, KTM's or Yamaha's alike will eat valves and cylinder heads if they are run too long out of tolerance, neither will be cheap to repair. Any half decent spanner twiddler can check valve clearances in half an hour (me for instance!)
The Yam will be more stable at speed than the equivalent KTM, but the KTM will corner better. KTM's suspension will as a rule, be harder than that of the Yam, but for a days green laning that could be too harsh.
The Yam "feels" heavier, despite there being little in it on the scales, more top heavy, possibly.
One's blue, the others orange. Yam plastics fade and look sh*te very quickly, but that doesn't affect how they ride!
You pays your money....
Mark

Besides my other post,this is the only post which speaks some truth.
In the KTM user manual it says to check the valves every 15hrs/100ltr of fuel which we all know that us mere mortals would take about 30 odd hrs to use 100ltr of fuel.
A valve check takes approx one hr on the KTM(I know 'cos i have done it plenty)and you dont have to fanny about going shopping for new sized shims halfway through the job unlike when checking the WR.
Half the stuff people write about maintainance is bollox since mostly these people write it without ever owning the said brand or even knowing ANYONE with the said brand.
I bought my KTM knowing that once bought i wouldn't need to buy anything else to make it road legal,make it withstand constant abuse on the trail,and will be as light(or feel as light)as anyone else's 'enduro' trail bike.

Back
Top Bottom