Hafren.Noise regs ????

Deleted Member MS

Reaction score
After a few concerns re noise regs/Hafren on this site, and "standard" DRZ Suzuki's perhaps not passing the noise limits, I have had my own bike checked this morning.It is a 2000 DRZ E, with a CRD silencer, and at its worst, only gave out 82 Db's. 12 below the allowed max.I cannot imagine other Drz's being much noisier than mine.Peice of mind for other users perhaps !

There did use to be an issue with DRZ's, can't remember the designation, but one of the models came with a standard exhaust that was feckin loud. That is the reason behind the wording in the regs. There was also a warning for CRF riders last year that removing the baffle would result in disqualification.
The reasons behind it are simple. Noise will kill off-road sport for all of us. Anyone who believes otherwise is at best deluded, at worst selfish, ignorant and stupid.
It is unfortunate for anyone who bought the offending DRZ model, that they will have to fork out for an aftermarket silencer to quieten the bike down to enter events, but anyone who spends money to make their bike louder and is excluded deserves not sympathy but ridicule. 99% of the riders can't utilise the extra 0.2 hp they gain, if they can actually notice it. Far better to spend the money on getting someone to set up their suspension properly, or take a lesson with one of the off-road schools to improve their skills.
If this sounds like a rant, then I'm sorry, but I have helped out with scrutineering at the Hafren a few times now, and noise testing, and some of the feckwits who turn up really do annoy me.
On a further note for any potential entrants, wheel bearings and loose spokes will get you excluded, so check them before you go. Also read the tyre regs carefully, if it says no MX tyres, that is what it means!
Mark

Hafren

earthmover said:
There did use to be an issue with DRZ's, can't remember the designation, but one of the models came with a standard exhaust that was feckin loud. That is the reason behind the wording in the regs. There was also a warning for CRF riders last year that removing the baffle would result in disqualification.
The reasons behind it are simple. Noise will kill off-road sport for all of us. Anyone who believes otherwise is at best deluded, at worst selfish, ignorant and stupid.
It is unfortunate for anyone who bought the offending DRZ model, that they will have to fork out for an aftermarket silencer to quieten the bike down to enter events, but anyone who spends money to make their bike louder and is excluded deserves not sympathy but ridicule. 99% of the riders can't utilise the extra 0.2 hp they gain, if they can actually notice it. Far better to spend the money on getting someone to set up their suspension properly, or take a lesson with one of the off-road schools to improve their skills.
If this sounds like a rant, then I'm sorry, but I have helped out with scrutineering at the Hafren a few times now, and noise testing, and some of the feckwits who turn up really do annoy me.
On a further note for any potential entrants, wheel bearings and loose spokes will get you excluded, so check them before you go. Also read the tyre regs carefully, if it says no MX tyres, that is what it means!
Mark

so make yourself known at he Hafren and I'll get someone else to look at the bike

Gunner

Hafren/noise

earthmover said:
Mark

Earthmover ,. ,. . .The main reason I put a message on the website was beacuse I heard from someone that particular year Drz's can sometimes struggle to be under the max Db's allowed.I then talked to the organisers to find out the exact truth re noise limits/what bikes may or may not struggle. Indeed, the organisers comfirmed the above. No, I dont think that you are on a rant at all. I fully agree that we should be doing as much as possible to safeguard out sport.As Ive only ever done 1 event like this before, (many moons ago and its taken a year to get me and my bike back into shape from that one),yes, I have been concerned that my own DRZ wouldnt pass the limits on the day this time.Not that I think thats it is loud anyway, I just wanted to make sure. I was however, surprised that it only registered 80db's given that the particular "model" is supposed to be near the maximum allowed.No complaints tho, in fact its a weight off my mind.
Ps . .My own bike was bought very much secondhand, with the after market "silencer" already fitted.
Thats my rant over with.See you at Hafren.

Martin S

I used to have a DRZ 'E" Version that i bought in 00 and the noise out of it , from the shop was too much , and suzuki got a slating at the time and offered aftermarket silencers at about half price , there was also a insert available that cut the racket for about 25.00 quid

Gunner

Phil

Mmmmmmmmmmm, wonder if thats why my bike has the aftermarket one on then ????
Ps . I had already enquired about one of these baffles, shouild I have needed one . . . . .£90.....Ouch !

philgunn said:
so make yourself known at he Hafren and I'll get someone else to look at the bike

Gunner

Met you a couple of times Phil, either on a Husaberg 450, or more recently on a CRF 250. I think the last time was the Dyfi last year (pretty much had this year off :( ) when Marianne broke her leg.
I can't make the Hafren either this year, mores the pity.
Mark

Back
Top Bottom