Black Forest Tips Wanted

cooperman

We are thinking of taking the girls on a trip to the Black Forest next year...anyone got any tips on good biking routes, hotels etc? We will be sailing from Hull and have a week to spend on the trip. If anyone has any 'must see' info I would be grateful for advice. Cooperman

Apparently they make a rather mean gateaux over there :D

cooperman said:
We are thinking of taking the girls on a trip to the Black Forest next year...anyone got any tips on good biking routes, hotels etc? We will be sailing from Hull and have a week to spend on the trip. If anyone has any 'must see' info I would be grateful for advice. Cooperman

Do the route 500 from Baden Baden

If you could get to Rothenburg, you'd have a lovley day out, I’d love to take the wife back there. (Map)

Clock tower
rothenburg_clock_tower.jpg

City walls
rothenburg_cover%20_walls.jpg

Dusk
rothenburg_evening_street.jpg

Gasthof Bezold right outside the city wall, with parking round the back. (map)
gasthof_bezold_rothenburg.jpg

Try these routes for size. Hoch Schwartzwald strasse is the one you want - south of Baden Baden. You will not be the only biker!

Simon

Attachments

• black forrest.gdb
    119.1 KB · Views: 122
Hi

I can certainly vouch for Hotel Wildblick in Schenkenzell, excellent place, good value.
Stayed there whilst travelling to and from Garmisch Rally

Stayed in a great bikers hotel in Bad Peterstahl, just south of the B500 to Baden Baden . Will dig out the details for you, then made it across to the Mosel valley. Also worth a trip to the Voseges region of France before hitting the Black Forest.

You could do a lot worse than stay here. Check out their special deals :thumb

Hier

If you are going from Hull to Zeebrugge , its well worth travelling via Brussels, Spa and Trier , decent roads and nice scenery once you get south west of Liege.
Plenty of places to stop in the area on the way down and Heidelberg is worth a visit or an overnighter.

JohnnyBoxer said:
Do the route 500 from Baden Baden

Vastly overrated - follow the C-roads which run parallel to it :thumb

Being serious though, if you want to get to the Black Forest in a day from Rotterdam, jump on the motorway to Koblenz (if you have time head to Aachen instead and then head through the Eifel/Mosel instead), then follow the east side of the Rhine gorge to Rudesheim. Take the ferry across the river to Bingen and jumpback on the motorway to Heidelburg, which has a spectacular castle and old town and is a great place to spend an evening.

This then leaves you just north of the Black Forest the next morning :D

As has already been posted, yes, the Schwarzwald Hochstrasse (B500) from Baden-Baden to Freudenstadt is a great road BUT at weekends is incredibly full. In addition, much of it has a blanket 70 km/h speed limit and since last year is now often police patrolled, mainly due to the number of fatal accidents every weekend in the summer.

Some "insider" tips for you: The road via the "Rote Lache" from Baden-Baden to Forbach. The road via the "Schwarzenbach Talsperre" (Dam) from Raumünzach to Sand, then over the B500 to Bühlertal (These two routes can be combined, eventually rejoining the B500 via Bühlertal/Neusatzeck), or the road via "Kaltenbronn" from Gernsbach to Sprollenhaus.

If you're serious about coming over, let me know and I'll gladly accompany you on some of the best roads. At the moment, the B500 is open only to vehicles with winter tyres due to the snow yesterday. For bikes, technically the only officially allowable tyres now are TKC80's, which have the "M&S marking.

Dave Barrett said:
The road via the "Rote Lache" from Baden-Baden to Forbach.

Top road in the north of the Schwartzwald IMO :thumb

When in the area, stop off at Mumelsee. It's avery touristie but the local folklore arwork on the hotel walls is worth a look ;) :D and the grub was good :thumb

Ronno,

Since you're almost a local, I'm amazed you even admit to having visited Mummelsee! :mmmm When are you coming over next?

Back
Top Bottom