Boorman/Dakar vid

Deleted Member MS

Reaction score
Just watched first half of vid.I know Charley may get a slating in the press etc, but I thought (so far) the "Dakar" has been pretty good viewing. He portayed exactly what I thought after my first H/H. "Feck me, how hard was that".The vid brought all the horrors back to me about how hard an off-road event can be, even after my own 30 years of on-road riding.Whilst it may make for good television, and therefore possibly scripted, I actually felt he was actually s....g himself/nervous re some of the events he did leading up to the big event.God, I know exactly how he felt.
Looking forward to the 2nd half of it all, (and my own 2nd event in a couple of weeks, a year after my 1st one !!)

I agree with you. I am watching it on Sky an its excellent viewing, even though he's out the period when he was riding I thought he was far better than everyone makes out. The othe BMW riders also seem a decent bunch of lads. :thumb

martin s said:
Just watched first half of vid.I know Charley may get a slating in the press etc, but I thought (so far) the "Dakar" has been pretty good viewing. He portayed exactly what I thought after my first H/H. "Feck me, how hard was that".The vid brought all the horrors back to me about how hard an off-road event can be, even after my own 30 years of on-road riding.Whilst it may make for good television, and therefore possibly scripted, I actually felt he was actually s....g himself/nervous re some of the events he did leading up to the big event.God, I know exactly how he felt.
Looking forward to the 2nd half of it all, (and my own 2nd event in a couple of weeks, a year after my 1st one !!)

Twos up on the vid!!!!!!! :eek:

Race to Dakar

Well I've watched all 7 episodes of the "Race to Dakar" film and I think that the series is a superb insight to the race above anything else. Watching the episode of the start in Portugal reminded me of the time I rode with Simon Pavey and Nick Plumb at the start of the 2003 Dakar from Marseille in France, when I was assisting them in the European stages.

My deepest respect to what these guys achieved, it was very nice to see that the film not only featured Charlie but everyone else involved in the race including, Simon Pavey, Nick Plumb, Patsy Quick, Mick Extance etc. and all the other British guys and just the ordinary people involved. It also included the tragedy of the death of Andy Caldecot and others before him, a very serious and dangerous race!

In my opinion, Big Earth produced an excellent film series. I regard Charlie very highly for what he set out to do in promoting the Dakar in this film, he openly admits that his acting profession is really non existant and loads of people knocked him for attempting the Dakar. Although I've met him a few times, I've never got the opportunity of letting him know how much I respected his attempt at the the Dakar. It's not something that I would enter into lightly.

Blue Sweeper said:
Well I've watched all 7 episodes of the "Race to Dakar" film and I think that the series is a superb insight to the race above anything else. Watching the episode of the start in Portugal reminded me of the time I rode with Simon Pavey and Nick Plumb at the start of the 2003 Dakar from Marseille in France, when I was assisting them in the European stages.

My deepest respect to what these guys achieved, it was very nice to see that the film not only featured Charlie but everyone else involved in the race including, Simon Pavey, Nick Plumb, Patsy Quick, Mick Extance etc. and all the other British guys and just the ordinary people involved. It also included the tragedy of the death of Andy Caldecot and others before him, a very serious and dangerous race!

In my opinion, Big Earth produced an excellent film series. I regard Charlie very highly for what he set out to do in promoting the Dakar in this film, he openly admits that his acting profession is really non existant and loads of people knocked him for attempting the Dakar. Although I've met him a few times, I've never got the opportunity of letting him know how much I respected his attempt at the the Dakar. It's not something that I would enter into lightly.

:thumb Well Said, he was a bit of a cry baby :eek: in the long way round but thus far the book 'dakar' is good, just want to borrow the vid :) Nice review :beer:

Dakar

My sentiments exactly.I pull some crazy stunts myself, including climbing in the hills, very long distance rides on road bike, and ultra long distance hill running. Believe me, the hardest thing I ever did was a Hare and hounds.
Usually, any pain with the above subsides, ( or at least the memory of the pain).However, re the H/H, I can still recall the shock of it all a year later.Yep,hats of to all those riders.

I too have enjoyed the video on Sky I never imagined the Dakar was so crazy.

I have a big problem with this production and the Round the World one too. It seems to be made for goldfish or zombies or at least for folks with no memory. It is incredibly annoying for all the, what happened previously and what happens next bits repeated endlessly.

If they didn't waste so much time in repetition I recon we could have enjoyed double the content.

Would still recommend viewing but have the fast forward button to hand

I have watched the DVD and am reading the Book.I think Chaley should be commended for doing "the Dakar". He got stick for the "Long Way Round",but won people round once they saw that whatever support crew were there,the Bikes did not ride themselves!I went to a DVD/Book launch at Pidcocks,and was impressed with the Guy as a bike enthusiast.The film show was basically clips from the DVD but the Talk he gave and the "no holds barred" Q&A session after was top draw.Get to see it at a BMW Dealer near you,if you can.

AndyT said:
I agree with you. I am watching it on Sky an its excellent viewing, even though he's out the period when he was riding I thought he was far better than everyone makes out. The othe BMW riders also seem a decent bunch of lads. :thumb

i agree ..really enjoyed watching it on DVD

martin s said:
I thinkyou should be able to message me if you are a member of this site ????????????????????

I will try :thumb Do you have an email :mmmm

Back
Top Bottom