Transferring Autoroute routes to Mapsource

Droopy Dick

Reaction score
Someone I spoke to on Sunday told me that software was available to enable you to plan routes in Autoroute and then transfer them to Mapsource for d/l to the Garmin.

Do a Google search he said.

I did.

And came up with 17,600 responses - and after scanning the first 4 pages, nothing seems remotely relevant.

OK, I'm pretty hopeless at Google.

Have any of you come across such s/ware?

cookie said:
IIRC it transfers waypoints, not routes.

It transfers the waypoints and links them with a straight line in the sequence they were in when plotted in the "Autoroute" file.

All you need to do is recalculate the route in Mapsource to force the straight lines onto the roads.

Autoroute is postcode friendly and far easier to use for finding places. Once you've found all the places you want using Aurtoroute then use this site to transfer it to a Mapsource file and tweek the route using Mapsource. :thumb

Attachments

• ScreenShot007.jpg
    ScreenShot007.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 184
Just tried GPS Visualizer with an Autoroute 2006 file and it converted it to a gdb file. Once opened in Mapsource it appeared as a route with way-points with plain point-to-point naviagtion. I had to recalculate the route to follow roads and sure enough it was true to the original although routing algorithm differences and varying set preferences between Autoroute and Mapsource might mean that this isn't always the case so a check would be required to be sure if it's vital that the exact same route is followed.

I've just tried a more complex route and sure enough I've had to add extra waypoints to match the Autoroute original.

Edit
Whatton beat me to it whilst I was experimenting. Useful utility all the same, as he says Autoroute is far better for planning (IMHO) so a quick check and a few tweaks are worth while.

Bumpkin said:
Edit
Whatton beat me to it whilst I was experimenting. Useful utility all the same, as he says Autoroute is far better for planning (IMHO) so a quick check and a few tweaks are worth while.

It would be nice if Autoroute 2008 had a Garmin export facility.

Maybe Microshite should buy Garmin?

Brilliant chaps!!

Many thanks.

I'm leading a ride on Sunday and I'd done all the routing on Autoroute on my laptop when in bed last night.

Although I could have printed out the route and painstakingly entered every bit into Mapsource I was dreading it.

Just tried out this site and it did an excellent job!

And I do wish Mapsource would work with full UK postcodes. But perhaps if you've moved beyond v7, it does.

Droopy Dick said:
I'd done all the routing on Autoroute on my laptop when in bed last night
:eek:

Droopy Dick said:
And I do wish Mapsource would work with full UK postcodes. But perhaps if you've moved beyond v7, it does.
It certainly does...

I made the concious decision to stop using MS AutoRoute when I bought my Garmin and have persevered with MapSource (+CN8 NT) instead. Now that I've become pretty fluent with MapSource I find (for the most part) that it works well. The one thing I really miss though is the ability to set different preferences for different segments of the route as you can in AutoRoute. I know the workaround of splitting the route into different discrete segments in MapSource sort of works, but it's clumsy and a pain in the a*se by comparison. :shout Are you listening Garmin?

Droopy Dick said:
I'd done all the routing on Autoroute on my laptop when in bed last night.

I had to do something as I waited for the super-strong analgesics to bite the hell out of the damned sciatica that was killing my left leg (and me). I wasn't even able t sit at a desk last night.

Just got back from my osteopath. Quick (but painful) crunch as 17st of rugby player threw himself on me after making a knuckle under a part of my spine.

Everything went 'clunk', there was a stab of pain, and the sciatica went away - 'til next time.

Got the MRI next week so I'll know if my consultant thinks now will be the time to operate. Even then I suspect it'll be a private job if I want it done quickly. Thankfully I have BUPA for me and the boys. I've just had to shell out a fortune for my mum's hip replacement 'cos she wasn't yet incapacitated enough to get treatment on the NHS: her consultant telling me it was the way they were managing both budgets and waiting times. I bet Tony Blair's mum wouldn't have had to wait .......

Droopy Dick said:
I had to do something as I waited for the super-strong analgesics to bite the hell out of the damned sciatica that was killing my left leg (and me).
You have my deepest sympathy...

I had a nasty attack of sciatica a few years ado after I wrenched my back stepping off a chair having repaired the curtains that my now ex-wife had managed to best part destroy in a French hotel.

After a number of weeks of pain ranging from seriously uncomfortable through to oh-my-god-when-will-this-stop in severity, we set off with some friends on a week's bike trip to France (again!). I was in enough pain that I knew I couldn't get the bike on or off its mainstand, so briefed my mate that he'd be required to help manhandle the bike about while on the trip. Strangely enough, the only relief I could get from the pain was while riding my bike and on the third day of the trip something decided to clonk back into place and I was suddenly pain-free. Been fine since, and that was about 12 years ago.

Good luck with the scan and, if necessary, the surgery :beerjug:

st13phil said:
The one thing I really miss though is the ability to set different preferences for different segments of the route as you can in AutoRoute. I know the workaround of splitting the route into different discrete segments in MapSource sort of works, but it's clumsy and a pain in the a*se by comparison. :shout Are you listening Garmin?
You can use different preferences for different segments in MapSource.

First make a route using the most common preferences. Use minimun 3 viapoints for each section that should have a different setting. Begin, middle, end.

When you "move" a via-point, only the two ajacent segments are recalculated. So now you can change the route calculaton setting from i e "follow roads" to "off-road", move the middle point slightly and viola! Now you have an "off-road" section in the middle of your "follow roads" route.

This procedure is very useful when there are bugs in the map, i e missing roads.

One surpricing recent observation was that when you uppload a "mixed" route of this kind to the Zumo, the Zumo seems to be able to recalculate the route without "destroying" the "off-road" segments. It appears as the Zumo only recalculates to the next crossing and only recalculates "follow road" segments leaving "off-road" segments unchanged.

Great thread guys :thumb

I'm not on my on pc just now, so have e-mailed the link to myself so that I can return to it.

I usually do plan out a trip (say, down through France) on Autoroute first, then do it manually in Mapsource - so the facility mentioned could be good.

Al :D

Back
Top Bottom