Anyone got a Zumo yet??

Dale

Reaction score
Where are all those early adopters??? :) is there anyone who can answer some questions for us...... I'm keen to know if you can do the following on the Zumo:

1. Can you set the frequency with which track points are recorded? either by time or distance?

2. can you load a track (not a route) from the PC (Mapsource) to the GPS? I know you can get one from a mate's SD card, but can it be done from the PC?

3. If you can load a track, can you see it clearly? (tracks on the 2820 are a small dotted line and damn hard to see)? and,

4. If you can load it and see it, can you follow it using trackback or similar?

TIA,
Dale

Dale said:
Where are all those early adopters??? :) is there anyone who can answer some questions for us...... I'm keen to know if you can do the following on the Zumo:

1. Can you set the frequency with which track points are recorded? either by time or distance?

2. can you load a track (not a route) from the PC (Mapsource) to the GPS? I know you can get one from a mate's SD card, but can it be done from the PC?

3. If you can load a track, can you see it clearly? (tracks on the 2820 are a small dotted line and damn hard to see)? and,

TIA,
Dale

After a short play;

1. Only auto setting which is fine

2. ?

3. You cannot see the tracklog at all. It only records it.

4. It has a sort of trackback but Garmin calls it something else. Haven't had time to play with it.

Not yet, but I gather they are the ultimate must have for every gadget freak, even more worrying is you won't be one of the tepid in crowd either if you don't have one strapped to your GS handlebars this Christmas!!!!!

p.s. I'll give you thirty quid hard cash for your now redundant out of date Garmin 2610 :D

(It was worth a try :nenau)

BurnieM said:
4. It has a sort of trackback but Garmin calls it something else. Haven't had time to play with it.
As far as I understand the Zumo can convert its own tracks to "routes" in some "intelligent" way making it possible to give proper guiding instructions while backtracking. It also makes it possible to share tracks with other Zumo's.

Still open question: Can the Zumo import tracks from MapSource?

Dale said:

TIA,
Dale

Received mine from the good man Dutchman yesterday, but due to work only been playing with it this morning.

Q1: No, not that I can see.

Q2: Yes, (the track log is on all the time, can't turn it off). You don't see a bread crum though on the unit. See Q3.

Q3: When you transfer the track log to mapsource, its the same as on the 276c etc, a dotted line. When you transfer a track log to the Zumo, it is converted into a route, which can be clearly be seen on the screen. Its also possible to save a track log on the Zumo its self, again it coverts it to a route.

Q4: As above, it become a route which will guide you (the added bonus to this is you can modify it on the Zumo by adding or removing points.

Hope this has answered your questions.

So far I have mixed feelings for my new gadget, there are many +, but there are some - points as well.

Positives:

Compact, bright screen, great mounting system, mp3 and bluetooth, (bluetooth seem to work nicely, hooked my phone up to it in the car and was able to receive and make calls directly through the in car mount, no need for any further micro phone or speakers, it works straight off the mount. :thumb ) Large memory capability. there's probably more but its been a long night at work. :thumb

Negatives:

While transferring my numerous route I have, I found you could only transfer one route at a time, which you then had to "eject" the Zumo from your PC, restart the Zumo and "import data". This was quite frustrating as I had a load to do, but there maybe a better way (if someone knows, please do tell).

After owning a 276c, I find the Zumo lacking in its adjustability and options. But many of the positives out weight this and hopefully Garmin will be adding some more useful things as firmware updates in the future (Garmin, if you are reading this, please sort the Auto zoom off option, Auto recalc off option, Track log off option and a GPS status page and elevation would be nice :D ).

My impression is, most will like it once they have learnt to use it to its full (the manual that comes with it is pretty basic). The guys that want more adjustability will probably find it lacking, but I am one of those guys that would like more adjustability, but I still like it. :thumb

Garmin, I look forward to getting those firmware updates soon. :D :thumb

shedracer said:
While transferring my numerous route I have, I found you could only transfer one route at a time, which you then had to "eject" the Zumo from your PC, restart the Zumo and "import data". This was quite frustrating as I had a load to do, but there maybe a better way (if someone knows, please do tell).
This probably sounds stupid after what you have said, but have you tried up loading multiple routes in one go (ie one instance of mapsource) or a few instance’s one after the other?

Another stupid question, can you upload wayponts to it as you can the 276c or only via points as part of a route?

While transferring my numerous route I have said:
Probably to simple to be the answer but - I have a 2820 and when I am transferring routes there is an option to turn off (or not) the unit after each transfer....

:thumb Well done Ebbo, forgot about that, the Zumo works differently to the 276c in how it imports data. What I did was transfer each route one by one through multiple mapsource sessions as one might do with a 276c, then "eject" (remove USB cable) from PC, then turn on Zumo and import data. This way it only showed the last action/transfer, none of the others.

Transferring multiple routes via one mapsource session, :eek: all routes were imported (just done it). :bow :clap :thumb :eek:

Transferring waypoints is not a problem, transferred 130 in one go. :thumb Not a stupid question at all. :D

shedracer said:
:thumb Well done Ebbo, forgot about that, the Zumo works differently to the 276c in how it imports data. What I did was transfer each route one by one through multiple mapsource sessions as one might do with a 276c, then "eject" (remove USB cable) from PC, then turn on Zumo and import data. This way it only showed the last action/transfer, none of the others.

Transferring multiple routes via one mapsource session, :eek: all routes were imported (just done it). :bow :clap :thumb :eek:

Transferring waypoints is not a problem, transferred 130 in one go. :thumb Not a stupid question at all. :D
Well done Shedracer :thumb and thanks for the info :)

Bananaman said:
Not yet, but I gather they are the ultimate must have for every gadget freak, even more worrying is you won't be one of the tepid in crowd either if you don't have one strapped to your GS handlebars this Christmas!!!!!

p.s. I'll give you thirty quid hard cash for your now redundant out of date Garmin 2610 :D

(It was worth a try :nenau)

The 2610 is far better, the new Zumo's are for the masses whereas the 2610's are for the true adventurer. I also think that the Garmin build quality has suffered since the 2610's stopped being built. You won't see me using one, I'd rather get lost! ;)

Test drove one

Test drove one yesterday, not impressed, will be keeping my 276c

One route is loadable - One that is
Tracking not available
Looks good and easy to use, but not what I need.

nick

shedracer said:
the Zumo works differently to the 276c in how it imports data. What I did was transfer each route one by one through multiple mapsource sessions as one might do with a 276c
Why would you do that on the 276c? What's the point in having only one route in each instance of MapSource?

I typically use only one instance of MapSource with 20+ routes, 10+ tracks and 150+ waypoints. All of this I upload to the 276C in one batch. This is the same procedure as with 60CX, Quest, SP3, SP2610 and all the rest.

It's only when I have over 40 routes to upload as I split it up into two or more MapSource instances. The reason is that MapSource excecutes slower the more routes you have. But the upload itself works fine no matter how many routes/tracks/waypoints you upload at the same time.

By the way - what did you do with your 276c? I have plenty of friends who are interested in buying it. :D

It’s all down to how people store their waypoints and routes, most of my waypoints are stored individually, unless there is a common theme or location.

And I also think it’s a bug that the Zumo can’t handle more than one upload at a time,

I think I need to make things clearer, as I may not have been in my previous response.

The suggestion that you can only put one route on the Zumo is definitely not correct, I have 18 loaded already.

After Ebbo's suggestion :thumb , I remembered that that its is possible to load multiple routes, which I have successfully done today. The reason I keep individual routes separate, is this is how I like to manage my particular routes for work and not any-other reason. In future when I want to load multiple routes, they will be copied to one mapsource.

So just to summarise, the Zumo can hold about 50 routes with about 200 points and I think it can have 500 waypoints. :thumb

The more I play with it, the better I understand it. My GMT 12 arrived today, so I will be trying that out tonight at work. :D

HMR, brother and I will be selling our 276c's soon, but not yet. :D

Back
Top Bottom