GS1100 v 955i Tiger (longish)

~Stef~

Reaction score
Hi all this is my first post, :D
Ive been looking for a adventure/touring bike for some time and have tried a few models. Caponord being the worst, as you have to use the gearbox like a sportsbike otherwise the power delivery trys to snap the chain in two.

I didnt even consider the Varadero given its 28-30 mpg

Which left the 955 tiger and the 1100GS (the 1150 is out of my price range)

I test rode both models last weekend, I wont bore you with performance/handling details, as youve probably heard them all before.

But the biggest thing that struck me between the BMW and the Triumph was how bland the Tiger was and how much character the GS had.

The Tiger is quick, real quick and handles stops and does every thing you would want from it, but it does it in such a smooth surgical (quiet) manner that its uninspiring.

On the other hand the GS (i tried two, one stock and one chipped) is so different from any other bike I've ever ridden and so full of character that I just felt good riding it, just keeping pace with traffic, blasting past lines of car or just cruising it all felt good.

So Im looking for a 1100GS even tho untill now ive been a die hard Triumph fan, even got the tattoo and im on my second Trophy (first was sold with 62,000miles) I think my next bike will be a BMW R1100GS :D

~Stef~

Tiger v. 11*0GS

I traded in my Tiger for an 1150GS ~2 months ago. I shed a tear when the Tiger went - it had been very good to me. I had done ~25000 miles in the 3 years I had it, and it had never let me down. Things, like steering head and wheel bearings were starting to fail so it was time for a change.

The biggest difficulty I had was finding a dealer I could trust to service the bike and supply accessories/spares etc. It was this that made me look at BMW.

In 2 months I have done ~3500 miles on the GS and I think I have made the right choice because.....

- the BM's build quality is superb!
- the handling is even better than the Tiger
- this group
- I now realise how much drive chains, and chainlube annoyed me
- The Tiger had character too, but yes I now love the boxer engine - mid-range torque is awsome!

What do I miss?

- The self satisfaction of riding a British bike
- the RAT group and rideouts
- Visits to the Triumph factory
(- I had an MHP exhaust on my Tiger which made it sound like a WW2 Spitfire, so quiet it wasn't) :D

My BM dealer is Sawbridgeworth, and they seem fine - all dealings so far have been very efficient and pleasant

Good luck

I would like to stick with Triumph, but I felt good riding the GS and to me thats what bikings all about. I would like to hear a Tiger with the Triumph sports pipe, as standard its just to damm quiet.

I would also miss the social aspect of Triumph ownership, Ive just recently completed a 1000 mile tour of the Scottish Highlands with a group of Triumph owners 9 Trophys 1 Sprint ST and a Tiger 885efi, and theres talk of a European Tour next year, something I would like to particapate in.

But Ive a few weeks yet till the cash becomes available for my next bike, and i'll try :rolleyes: to not buy the first thing I see.

~Stef~

~Stef~ said:
So Im looking for a 1100GS even tho untill now ive been a die hard Triumph fan, even got the tattoo and im on my second Trophy (first was sold with 62,000miles) I think my next bike will be a BMW R1100GS :D

~Stef~

Don't worry about it you know it makes sense - just hunt down a nice Meridan Bonneville and you'll have the perfect collection in your garage :D

You could always try a Laser race pipe if you want more noise - it does give a certain "Sopwith Camel" quality to the 1100GS.

The late lamented John Hill gave me a demonstration of his loud pipe at Brackens after I had mentioned getting a louder-than-stock pipe. My eardrums nearly met in the middle...

:D

I bought the Tiger.

Because my R100GS kept letting me down and still does. Yes I've still got it for throwing at the scenery.
I know what you mean about the Tiger being quiet. It is. But for me that's an advantage. It's like a stealth speed thing. Why put a loud exhaust on a bike to let everyone know you're thrashing (breaking the speed limit) it.
The Triumph "loud" pipe does make it sound "nice?". But I wonder how tiring it becomes on a long journey. And, talking long journeys. How does a tank range of 300 miles sound? All right it would probably be dry at 300 miles (24 litre tank), but I got 240 out of 18 litres (60mpg) last weekend. And we weren't hanging about either. Touching 100 mph in places.
As for the finish and build quality. You should scan this site some more. Perhaps put "warranty" in the search facility.
I do enjoy this GS club. I also enjoy the RAT events which I find very good value and well organised. Good to have a choice I suppose.
Good luck with whatever you decide to buy. I think I made the right choice for me.

Had Both

I'm really not sure which is best to ride both have thier strenths, Had a real nightmare of ownership with the trumpet entire engine was replaced after about three months due to oil leaks from porus castings, still it was a nice bike to ride but the GS has loads more character and I can forgive its faults even after a 400 quid bill in just one blast around the lanes. I couldn't forgive the Trumpet for messing up the drive and got shot.

G....

PS If you go Trumpet Jack Lilleys are very good, M40 no comment :-(

GS v Tiger 955i

Traded my 1 year old 955i Tiger for a brand new GS 1150 Adv 9 months ago and not looked back.
My Tiger had a carbon fibre Remus can,wasn't overly loud-just fruity! Went like Shit off a shovel! Saw an indicated 140mph on the way to Assen last year!
Less bottom end and mid range torque,but really pulled at the top end,s'funny in isolation the Tiger felt torquey across the whole rev range,more so with the can,but the flat twin has got more grunt everywhere-especially with Remus,K&N and Techlusion!
The GS stops better, steers better,goes better and looks better IMHO (The Tigger was a looker in black and silver though)and the GS is about the same on fuel,comparable (probably cheaper taking shaft drive into account) on service costs,The GS is probably more reliable ( 2 recalls on my Tiger) and the Bigthing that really swung it for me-residuals,A GS will hold it's value better than any trailie out there,I lost £2k on mine in 12 months,a mate lost £700 on his GS in 15 months when trading for an Adventure!
Probably not such a big deal if you're not buying new as some other fool will have taken the "big hit" in depreciatian (like me) but the GS is still the better bike-take it from me-I've had both!

;) ;) ;)

An interesting conversation

.....as I'm thinking of migrating the other way. I know that the GS is a great bike and I'll be really sorry to let mine go but I really have no option as a result of the way I was treated by BMW when I had a dispute with their dealer (look at the website in my signature if you don't know the story) and their total unwillingness to be open and discuss the matter.

I'd be interested to know why you don't like the Caponord as it's currently on my short list along with the tigger and V-Strom.

Cheers

Steve

Re: An interesting conversation

thesanguine said:
.....as I'm thinking of migrating the other way. I know that the GS is a great bike and I'll be really sorry to let mine go but I really have no option as a result of the way I was treated by BMW when I had a dispute with their dealer (look at the website in my signature if you don't know the story) and their total unwillingness to be open and discuss the matter.

I'd be interested to know why you don't like the Caponord as it's currently on my short list along with the tigger and V-Strom.

Cheers

Steve

Watch out for Aprillia their customer service dept is in Swtzerland, I had abrand new Falco with two months summer use and the Stainless exhausts were rusting and they do not cover corrosion end of story go away. If it was not for a really pissed off dealer who is not anymore I would have got nowt, apparently this treatment was not uncommon, great bikes, some good dealers, shite back up from manufacturer, they had been to the Mussolini school for customer care

Roger

thesanguine

I've had three HINCKLEY TRUMPETS and have nothing but praise for the service I've received, I imported my first from Germany (1200 Trophy) before they were avilable here and Triumphs still helped me with a problem via a local dealer.

But never had any real complaints about BMW dealers either

G.....

Conclusive answer....

....there doesn't seem to be. Triumph and BMW both have good bikes and bad, and good dealers and bad.

The conclusion seems to be choose your bike AND your dealer carefully, and ask the advice of others who have experience of both....

Having said that, how many people make a rational decision about buying a bike?.......or do we see a bike in an advert or at a dealer, fall in love with it, and all ability to make a rational decision disappears.:rolleyes:

Good luck with you decision Stef.....though it looks like you have fallen in love with an 1100GS......so time to find a good bike at a good dealer! :thumb

about Suzuki...

... reply to thesanguine...

When Suzuki had a problem with breaking subframes on the Hayabusa and defective/breaking rear suspension and tankslapping on the TL1000R, they simply denied there was any problem despite the evidence from many customers.

When Triumph had a problem with cracking frames on a small number of the early T595, they recalled and replaced them all - not just the ones that failed.

I am not aware of any similar situations with BMW where they have had a design problem that demands a recall (I am aware of the problem you had thesanguine but that seems to be mainly down to the dealer), but would hope that BMW would behave in the same way as Triumph.

Would I buy a Suzuki? Not a hope.
Would I buy another Triumph - yes.
(already have a BM that's why I'm here ;)

Loyd

Llloyd,

Yes, my problem was with the dealer initially but that was resolved in an out of court settlement. After a change in personel, the dealer principle was man enough to admit they screwed up (albiet only after being forced to take my claim seriously) and wrote a cheque out for £4,195. My beef now though isn't about the dealer but the way BMW treated the matter:
> unprepared to accept there was a problem
> paraphrased everything the dealer told them
> Refused to look at my evidence
> ignored my letters
> unprepared to accept any responsibility in view of their trademark so proudly flaunted by the dealer
> supported their dealer in some quite rediculous claims
> unprepared to provide open and impartial evidence.....etc, etc

Regarding Aprilia, yes their customer service does concern me but at least if they fail they will only meet my expectations, BMW certainly didn't do that. In the end, all I wanted was to meet them and explain the reasons for my dissatisfaction........

What would that be Andy?

By the way, I went down to the South of France last week and true to form the GS let me down......

Still at least the local dealer in France was helpful!

Re: What would that be Andy?

thesanguine said:
By the way, I went down to the South of France last week and true to form the GS let me down......

Still at least the local dealer in France was helpful!
Sound to me Steve that having something in your garage with those three letters and roundel on is destined for divorce for your sake..... AND OURS!!! ;)

As I seem to have touched a raw nerve...

....I think I shall beat a hasty retreat from this thread:moped:

Bye

Back
Top Bottom