Honda XR 250 Baja - any good?

Mutley

Reaction score
I have been considering a trailie to improve my off road skills since I found the going so tough in Morocco. I have been recommended a Serow but I just don't like them to look at. I also liked the TTR250 that came with us, but then my eye has been caught by a Honda XR 250 Baja.

It looks great to me, anybody know anything about it? It looks essentially to be an XR250 but it seems it's 7kg lighter. The XR 250 has been recommended as a trailie as well. I love the headlights :bounce1

Attachments

• XR 250 Baja.gif
    XR 250 Baja.gif
    72.6 KB · Views: 29,022
It looks like it's been surprised while doing something it shouldn't have been doing :)

Nice little bikes.

Mutley1150 said:
I have been considering a trailie to improve my off road skills since I found the going so tough in Morocco. I have been recommended a Serow but I just don't like them to look at. I also liked the TTR250 that came with us, but then my eye has been caught by a Honda XR 250 Baja.

It looks great to me, anybody know anything about it? It looks essentially to be an XR250 but it seems it's 7kg lighter. The XR 250 has been recommended as a trailie as well. I love the headlights :bounce1

To be fair, they are nice little bikes.
From what i can remember, some of the versions had strange final drive gearing and they were also fitted with small ( not 520) chains.
But just remember that these bikes weren't Honda UK bikes, so some spare parts will need sourcing outside of the UK.
Why not try a Suzuki DR350SET or later versions, electric start, decent suspension and readily available spares. Really cheap to buy nowadays for some weird reason.
If your hell-bent on the Baja, check for oil burning engines, worn rear suspension linkage, corroded rear exhaust pipes, leaking forks and worn discs.
I hope this info helps.
Regards.
Timpo.

The BAJAS are Xr 250's but with full road gear and huge headlights, they differ in a few significant ways,
1. steel fuel tank
2. different internal gear ratios (that said they are much better suited for road use ) and will do 70 mph
3. as said they come with a 428 chain junk it and get a 520 conversion
4. they have a proper cush drive built into the rear wheel and chain life is vastly improved over the XR
5.it has an acclerator pump carb which is useless it runs weak at the bottom end and top end and is only jetted right when on an opening throttle, junk this and put on a xr 250 one or better still the one off a late twin shock xl250 with xr jetting.
6. the latter with a better filter and airbox snorkel mod and voila you have a full power road legal civilised Xr that you can use in the dark.
I,ve had a one for 4 or 5 years and its a great fun especially in its summer supermoto clothes.

Whatton said:
It looks like it's been surprised while doing something it shouldn't have been doing :)

It reminds me of those Blood Runners cartoons from Bike in the '80s :cool:

Neil W said:
The BAJAS are Xr 250's but with full road gear and huge headlights, they differ in a few significant ways,
1. steel fuel tank
2. different internal gear ratios (that said they are much better suited for road use ) and will do 70 mph
3. as said they come with a 428 chain junk it and get a 520 conversion
4. they have a proper cush drive built into the rear wheel and chain life is vastly improved over the XR
5.it has an acclerator pump carb which is useless it runs weak at the bottom end and top end and is only jetted right when on an opening throttle, junk this and put on a xr 250 one or better still the one off a late twin shock xl250 with xr jetting.
6. the latter with a better filter and airbox snorkel mod and voila you have a full power road legal civilised Xr that you can use in the dark.
I,ve had a one for 4 or 5 years and its a great fun especially in its summer supermoto clothes.

Thanks Neil that's what I needed to know :thumb

They may look boring but at least it doesn't take a crane /tractor/tug of war team (delete as appropriate) to remove them from a muddy bog , unlike my GS.
If your after something not too focussed but capable off road to improve your off roading they are perfect. Also unlike most european kit they are very low maintainance. Plus the standard lights put the 1150Gs to shame and make riding in the dark a breeze.
Another one well worth considering is the Honda CRM250 which is an absolute hoot off road but will do touching 90 on the road

Great fun

I think mine's was one of those. Certainly looks the same apart from mine had the lights off. I competed (well, took part in) a good few enduro races with mine years ago. It was very reliable, and enough bike to go as fast as I ever wanted to in enduros...
574597-L-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom