help please re 2620 and TT Rider

Terzikat

Quick question, I'm trying to decide which GPS to get to replace my TomTom PDA lash up - worked ok on my sports bikes stuffed in a rucksack with voice only through to in-helmet speakers, but now I'm a GSer I need something more befitting!

I'm looking at the garmin 2620 and the TomTom rider and want to know:

- does the garmin talk to you with an American accent (sounds like a naff question but it would really grate with me)

- is there a mount available for the TT rider that prevents the well documented issues with the electrical connectors wearing out prematurely through vibration?

Grateful for your advice fellow GSers :bounce1

another question, can I plug my helmet mounted sterio speakers into the 2610? :)

Terzikat said:
another question, can I plug my helmet mounted sterio speakers into the 2610? :)
Yes you can do that into all relevant Garmin models (except 60CX and 76CX).

Forget TomTom. Go for Garmin. It's only Garmin that can do route planning on PC, download routes from Internet and exchange routes with other bikers.

thanks for the info, what about the accent though? (I've got used to the sultry tones of sylvia with TomTom) :D

yes

Terzikat said:
is there a mount available for the TT rider that prevents the well documented issues with the electrical connectors wearing out prematurely through vibration?

Grateful for your advice fellow GSers :bounce1

touratech do a mount at a bit over £60, or a cheaper alternative is a strap made by one of the members for £10.

note.. i know you cant do route planning etc on the tomtom rider, but the unit is now less than half original price (now £235 for uk model) europe map update around £50 if you have your own card. It has full post code search, built in battery, comes with bluetooth and bike mount and lead. Also, the pocket gps speed camera database for tomtom is FAR better than the overlay item you get for the 2610.

Not knocking the 2610 in any way, but the tomtom rider is a bit of a bargain..

Thanks for the info on TT rider. Does the touratech mount stop the contacts from wearing out? It's not clear to me what causes the problem with the TT rider, i.e. whether its the mount to the bike or the interface between the GPS unit and the mounting plate. Grateful if anyone with info on this could post a reply, ta:confused:

Forget TomTom. Go for Garmin. It's only Garmin that can do route planning on PC,

Thats not true HMR, you plan the route with autoroute convert it using ITN and your away.
As for voices ther are loads available (all british) currently I are mostly bin riding with joanner lumley:thumb

I'm looking at the garmin 2620 and the TomTom rider...
:rob As no-one else seems to have mentioned this yet, the 2620 is not recommended for motorcycle use as it uses a built in microdrive for its storage rather than a CF card (2610) or solid-state RAM (2720 / 2820).

bit the bullet yesterday and bought a used 2820 on one of the forum members. Standby for a rash of posts about how to use it (or how dumb I am is another way of looking at it!)

Back
Top Bottom